PDA

View Full Version : Grinch Connection to PC

deplanche
01-14-2008, 12:52 PM
I have a computer that is about 2 years old, that doesn't have any parallel ports on it. In order to run a spare printer I have, I have a cable that converts a USB to a parallel port, plus a Hub with a parallel, serial, and 4 more USBs. Can either of these be used to connect the Grinch to the PC?

If not, I have a older computer (8-9 years old), maybe a Pentium 400, if memory serves, but it has the parallel port. I'd have to dig for the info on actual speed, RAM, etc.. Just wondering if there are any initial thoughts on the minimums needed to run VIxen with a grinch.

If neither of those work, looks like I'll have to find a different controller or a different computer.

ppohlman
01-14-2008, 01:05 PM
There is no problem using a USB-to-serial adapter.

ikabod
01-14-2008, 01:07 PM
or just get a PCI Parallel card for your 2yrs old computer. Cost around $30.

P. Short
01-14-2008, 01:13 PM
Grinch uses the parallel port, so a USB-to-serial adaptor isn't going to work.

--

Phil

deplanche
01-14-2008, 01:16 PM
If you are recommending a PCI parallel adapter, does that mean no, the cable won't work?

Any thoughts on yanking one out of the old computer and putting it in the new one?

kostyun
01-14-2008, 01:19 PM
Another thought would be to get a Ren-C to allow the grinch to use serial or a usb-serial adapter. (it would also give you dimming!)

ikabod
01-14-2008, 01:31 PM
Any thoughts on yanking one out of the old computer and putting it in the new one?

That's the best thing you can do.

RJ
01-14-2008, 04:21 PM
Some of us are running them on DMX but it cost more to start out on it.

RJ

wjohn
01-14-2008, 05:48 PM
RJ, the DMX Board you have is not a dimming board while the RENC is?

RJ
01-14-2008, 07:25 PM
RJ, the DMX Board you have is not a dimming board while the RENC is?

Guess I'm not reading it correctly I though he was asking about connection options. I didn't see anything from him on dimming.

deplanche
01-15-2008, 08:21 AM
RJ is correct. At this point I am not worried about dimming, I just want to be able to connect the Grinch to the computer. I'd hate to order everything, assemble everything, and then find out I couldn't use the USB to parallel connection, or that the other computer is too slow. That would be my typical luck.

RJ
01-15-2008, 08:40 AM
RJ is correct. At this point I am not worried about dimming, I just want to be able to connect the Grinch to the computer. I'd hate to order everything, assemble everything, and then find out I couldn't use the USB to parallel connection, or that the other computer is too slow. That would be my typical luck.

The USB to par converters do not work for our stuff. You have to go Ren-c, DMX converter to get it to serial.

RJ

deplanche
01-15-2008, 01:19 PM
Good to know. Thanks for the input.

And looks like I may go for dimming after all. But given that, am going to have to reconsider if I want to do Grinch or go for something else. And I thought after a month or two of reading posts on here, I had made up my mind. :?