PDA

View Full Version : My take on the Holdman/Bethlehem Star

crazy_carpenter
10-02-2012, 10:26 PM
I've decided to scale back on my first year display recently. Not for any bad life reasons but for the simple fact that I bit off more than I can chew. So I'm down to the 3 major projects that I'm doing for year one. A bethlehem star on the chimmney, a Mega tree and the Fm station/tune to sign. Today I started on the star and here is what I'm coming up with.

I snagged a 150 ft roll of white incan rope light on ebay cheap and it came in yesterday so I sat down to draw out the frame design today. Since the ropelight cuts on 18 inches, I started with the 8 radial arms/spikes at 18" and scaled up from there, keeping all frame elements on 18" increments so there is no slop in the rope light cuts. It turned into a monster! :freak: About 10 feet high and 7 feet wide with 72 linear feet of rope light. Wish me luck, I'm picking up the frame material and an extra roll of welding wire in the morning. :wink:

crazy_carpenter
10-04-2012, 12:29 AM
Well, here is a quick update. I got to pick up the materials and spend a few quality hours with them today. The first pic shows my hairbrained layout method and the second pic shows the "If I pick it up and move it around, will it break" test. I think I'm going to change the name of this project from the Holdman star to the Megastar (or the Deathstar if it falls over on my wife's car) Anyway, I'm having fun with it and it's good to see a project coming together that has been rattling around in my brain for months now.

bnradams
10-04-2012, 08:47 AM
.... I think I'm going to change the name of this project from the Holdman star to the Megastar (or the Deathstar if it falls over on my wife's car) .... Deathstar may be appropriate if you are close to an airport! The size of that thing could blind the space-station:happy:

Seriously though, it looks great. A Holdman star was my first project to tackle when going automated. A very rewarding first project.

Lionking_Tx
10-04-2012, 08:14 PM
That thing is huge.......Release the Kraken

crazy_carpenter
10-05-2012, 11:51 AM
Deathstar may be appropriate if you are close to an airport! The size of that thing could blind the space-station:happy:

Seriously though, it looks great. A Holdman star was my first project to tackle when going automated. A very rewarding first project.

It will be okay. I talked to ATC at the local Air National Guard base and they are going to mark it as a navigation aid for night flights. If you see this thing in front of you, you are missing the runway by 7 miles. As far as seeing it from the space station, isn't that one of the holy tenets of this hobby :w00t:

crazy_carpenter
10-05-2012, 02:52 PM
Another quick update. Fabrication is done and we are moving into paint phase. When the paint dries, we will move on to rope light surgery. Looking over the ropelight, I thought it was mighty polite of the manufacturer to print the cut points on the sheath for me.

bud29
10-05-2012, 03:10 PM
That thing is massive! All you need now is a mega-tree to go underneath it.

crazy_carpenter
10-05-2012, 07:47 PM
That thing is massive! All you need now is a mega-tree to go underneath it.

Yes, it turned into a monster... and my wife loves it but she did ask me a question... Where are you gonna store that thing? My answer was ... ummmmm I haven't gotten that far into the creative process yet. :sad:

crazy_carpenter
11-16-2012, 01:54 AM
Just thought I would do an update on this project. Life stuff kind of took over for awhile and it went on the back burner but it is back on track today. All of the ropelight has been cut, tested, stabbed with lamp cord, siliconed, heat shrunk and tested again. For endcaps, I'm just giving it 3 or 4 coats of Plasti Dip. As soon as all of this dries, it is time for zip ties and seeing if I can get this monster hung on the chimmney without killing myself. :lol:

macebobo
11-16-2012, 02:33 AM
Okay, seeing this, your signature makes a whole lot more sense. That is HUGH! No, really, I am not jealous at all. Okay, maybe a little.

crazy_carpenter
11-21-2012, 10:57 PM
Well, it gives me great pleasure to give you this latest update. It is finished, wired, hung on the chimmney and tested. A little full disclosure here, I won the 150 ft roll of rope light for $16 or 17 bucks in an Ebay auction. Shoot the shipping cost me more at $25 bucks. To be honest, if I would have had to pay retail, I would have never attempted this project. But I had fun with it and my grandson was constantly underfoot "helping" me so that was cool too. Now I have untill January to figure out where I'm going to store the thing.

Thanks for all the encouragement I got here at DIY Christmas during this project. I almost gave up on it a few times.

P.S. After it was up and running, I started on a smaller one for the mega tree. Shoot, I still got half a roll of rope light left. I gotta do something with it. :thup2:

Donny M. Carter
11-21-2012, 11:06 PM
Nice job!

crazy_carpenter
11-22-2012, 03:19 AM
Nice job!

Thanks Donny. Looking at the pic, I need to go back and straighten up some rope light on the right side with a few more zip ties and I'm missing about 1 inch of light in the SSE joint. Durn you people, Ya'll are turning me me into a perfectionist.

ggusta
12-19-2012, 03:34 PM
Thanks Donny. Looking at the pic, I need to go back and straighten up some rope light on the right side with a few more zip ties and I'm missing about 1 inch of light in the SSE joint. Durn you people, Ya'll are turning me me into a perfectionist.

looks fantastic and it's so hard to see what you are talking about in the photo that I know the only person who is 'tripping' about it is you, but I know the feeling.

Now go to work on the 60 foot megatree to put under it!

crazy_carpenter
12-20-2012, 10:56 PM
looks fantastic and it's so hard to see what you are talking about in the photo that I know the only person who is 'tripping' about it is you, but I know the feeling.

Now go to work on the 60 foot megatree to put under it!

Thanks for the compliment. The 60 foot megatree is still a little out of my skill set right now so I just made a smaller star for a tree that I could handle. :thup: