PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive DIY PCB boards

lightaholic
09-30-2012, 09:54 PM
This is my first post with this forum so I hope it is in the right place. Started playing around with electronics about ten years ago, started with vacuum tube guitar amps and progressed along the way to solid state technology. Made a lot of test equipment, ESR meter, signal generators,frequency counter and a very sensitive signal tracer. I started with a very simple light chaser for my Christmas lights a couple of years ago and then I found you guys, very exciting and addictive hobby. I bought a Renard 64xc from John Wilson and started to make my SSR Boards, I am using the Neon version. My friend and I have been trying all different kind of paper for doing Toner Transfer, we have tried the Blue paper with excellent results but very pricey and some of the photo papers did not produce the results we wanted, we then discovered "FINGER PAINTING PAPER" at the dollar store here in Canada. The results we get are nothing short of excellent and we get 60 sheets of 9 by 12 for 1.50. We print the traces on regular paper to locate the image the we cut a piece of the finger painting paper about one inch larger than the image tape it on the regular paper over the original image and reprint it with a 1200dpi setting. After we do the iron for about 90 to 120 seconds on cotton setting, we throw it in cold water and the paper comes off very easy. Now for etching we use our home brew etch, 2 parts 3% Hydrogen Peroxide and 1 part Muriatic Acid, always add acid to peroxide. Here some photos of one of the boards i did.154971549815499

mrpackethead
09-30-2012, 10:10 PM
NIce work.

timon
09-30-2012, 10:26 PM
Always nice to try making a board your self. I did that when I was in school back in the, well we won't go there. It was interesting and fun to do but these day someone would turn your parents in for letting you play with hazardous chemicals.

Having done it I'll order my board. Doing it one was enough for me. That said, very nice job.

jrock64
09-30-2012, 10:42 PM
It was interesting and fun to do but these day someone would turn your parents in for letting you play with hazardous chemicals.

Or be put on a watch list for buying "precursors"

Joel

dirknerkle
09-30-2012, 10:51 PM
Welcome to DIYC!

And congratulations on some nice etching craftsmanship! Wow, to say that you're jumping in with both feet is an understatement! I do a lot of that myself and had never thought about finger painting paper and running it through the laser a 2nd time. Well done!

tommy
10-01-2012, 12:37 AM
Nice job on those boards. And welcome to DIYC!

Does Hobby Lobby carry this kind of paper? If so, what is the brand name I should be looking for? For several years now, I've been using the Staples Basic photo paper and gotten great results. I use a t-shirt heat press set at 350 degrees for one minute, then rotate the board 90 degrees and press again for another minute to iron the artwork onto the pcb. But I would love to try this paper to see how well it works. Heat press works great and will do a large 15" square board with consistent results every time.

I've also tried the peroxide/muriatic acid solution for etching and it seems to be a little too active for me. It always tends to over-etch the boards. So now, I've gone to using ferric chloride to etch my boards.

Tommy

mrpackethead
10-01-2012, 12:39 AM
My preference by a long way for an etchent is Ammominum persulfate.. Much cleaner.. Only down side is that you need the solution to be running at about 70deg C.

tstraub
10-01-2012, 08:25 AM
Welcome to DIYC,

Your etch looks great. Your new found skills can really come in handy in this hobby. If you haven't done so yet I encourage you to take a time to browse threw the copper section of our File Library there is a link to the library at the top of every page on this forum. You will find controllers, SSRs, testers and all sorts of things. Some are PCBs that are also available as production boards and some are just for the etchers. I highly recommend you build one of Dave's SSR/CAT-5 cable tester (http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/dynamics/showentry.php?e=43&catid=searchresults&searchid=417). You will find it invaluable if you ever need to diagnose any problems with your system. You can use it to isolate the problem to controller, cable, or SSR very quickly.

Tyler

ukewarrior
10-01-2012, 10:53 AM
Can you post a picture of the box of paper you used?

lightaholic
10-01-2012, 01:48 PM
Here is the picture of the paper, large format size, 18 by 12, 30 sheet pad 15502 It is from North America Paper Inc. out of Brampton, Ontario, Canada

CaptKirk
10-01-2012, 04:14 PM
One more request- could you post a picture of a printed sample (the finger paint paper taped to the full size printed). I am having a hard time visualizing that step. Are you using double side tape to prevent melt-able tape from hitting the fuser and destroying a laser printer???

lightaholic
10-01-2012, 11:53 PM
Dear CaptKirk
The tape I use is just regular transparent tape, My printer is a Samsung ML2010 and I have not had any problems with the tape doing any damage. One step I forgot to mention is in my "Printer Preferences" the paper I choose is "Card Stock". With this choice I am getting maximum toner on my paper. I bought the printer at a second hand shop for ten bucks and I buy generic toner cartridge from "123 Cartridges " here in Canada and I pay $26 for a high yield one. I will be happy to post the picture tomorrow as it is just about midnight here and I just walked in the door from work, I hate the afternoon shift.

lightaholic
10-02-2012, 11:50 AM
Here are the pics showing my method of fabricating PCB boards. The first pic shows the layout for LEDFlood I designed using Diptrace program. The small piece of paper is the Finger Painting paper. The next pic shows the Finger Painting paper taped over the layout. The next 2 pics are my settings I use for doing the next print on to the Finger painting paper. The final pic is the end results of the print.1553015531155321553315534 I hope this helps and removes any confusion.

kychristmas
10-02-2012, 12:52 PM
Here are the pics showing my method of fabricating PCB boards. The first pic shows the layout for LEDFlood I designed using Diptrace program. The small piece of paper is the Finger Painting paper. The next pic shows the Finger Painting paper taped over the layout. The next 2 pics are my settings I use for doing the next print on to the Finger painting paper. The final pic is the end results of the print.1553015531155321553315534 I hope this helps and removes any confusion.

I'm curious, is the paper to thin to go through the laser printer on it's own?

IdunBenhad
10-02-2012, 04:08 PM
Hi:
I have used the same approximate method for locating the pattern on the transfer paper except I don't have to print the pattern two times. I use a full size cardstock sheet. I have found where the pattern will print (from the program I am using) and use a pencil to mark two lines on the cardstock. The transfer paper is then taped to the cardstock using Scotch removable tape. Print it and the cardstock template is ready to go again. I have also used blue masking tape, but it is a little thick for this purpose.

I have not had any problems that I know of with the tape transferring to the toner drum.

I looked yesterday at Michaels, but forgot to check Walmart. So far I have not found a local source of the finger painting paper here in Yuma, AZ.

CaptKirk
10-02-2012, 06:59 PM
Ok, THANK YOU for the pictures- I was understanding the process, I just couldn't believe I was. The finger paint paper looks shiny almost like photo paper, but you say photo paper does NOT work as well? I wonder what that stuff really is??? I hope we can find some of this in the states as I would like to get back into prototyping boards like I used to do a LONG time ago...

levent
08-14-2013, 04:58 PM
Thank you for sharing the information. I had recently issues with my printer and I didn't know there was a high-yield type cartridge, went to the shop, asked for it and viola, I'm getting awesome print outs now. I'm however a little confused, if you're using simple tape, it should've actually gotten melted or a little slimy at least on being exposed to that high temperature. Where I live, temperature on an average is higher so I can't even think of this stuff without bracing for serious consequences later on.

circuit card assembly (http://www.7pcbassembly.com/circuit-card-assembly.php)

MartinMueller2003
08-14-2013, 06:55 PM
Try Toys-R-Us for the paper or a school supply store.

LabRat
08-14-2013, 06:59 PM
I've been getting good results using pages from a local "free senior's magazine".

CaptKirk
08-14-2013, 07:54 PM
I bit the bullet and tried a free "wine country" magazine you might find in a tourist rack of publications and it worked perfectly. Free and available!! The best of combinations.