PDA

View Full Version : Dmxssr16 need circuit boards

kingdaddybob
09-30-2012, 10:52 AM
I would like to get about 10 dmxssr16 circuit boards that RPM used to make. Does anyone know what board house will use a .brd file?
I was hoping RPM would be making more but it seems he is not. Thank you for any help.
Bob

budude
09-30-2012, 11:59 AM
I'm pretty sure RPM used Eagle for his stuff. Several places take their layout files directly. One place I've used is OSH Park. They cost $5/sqin but you get 3 boards. I'd guess his SSR is maybe 7 sqin so you're looking at $35 for 3 boards or about $12 each. The price includes shipping and all setup fees. There are cheaper places but many really get you on the initial setup charge to the tune of $50 or so alone.

One other option is to install the free version of Eagle and try making Gerber files from them. The only issue there is I'm not 100% if it will contain any modified footprints he may have used for some parts - you'll find out when you load the .brd file. Almost all board houses take Gerbers so you can shop around.

kingdaddybob
09-30-2012, 06:41 PM
Thanks Budude,
The dmxssr16 boards are 5 in x 8 inches. Rpm mentioned it was 2 oz copper and he said what board house he used but I can't find it. I have built about 8 of them and really like them. I was hoping he would offer more of them but he has not. Not really wanting to make a costly mistake converting it to gerbers either.Hoping someone has a similar need.
Thanks,
Bob

budude
09-30-2012, 07:52 PM
Ah sorry yes - I was thinking of the DMX SSR4 not the 16 so that is much bigger obviously... I *think* you can create a set of Gerbers with the free version of Eagle for a board that large but you can't edit it. Just run the Gerber CAM job and it will create the files - zip them up and send them off for your quote. They usually do a basic sanity check on them for you. Search through some of the threads here and you'll find recommendations for several board houses - they almost all take Gerber files.

kingdaddybob
09-30-2012, 07:56 PM
Thanks...I'll poke around a little.

budude
09-30-2012, 08:41 PM
Here's a set of Gerbers I created. They *look* OK to me and should probably work fine - again most board houses will let you know if they don't like something about them.

kingdaddybob
09-30-2012, 09:00 PM
Thanks for doing that! I appreciate it greatly.I'll give it a try.