PDA

View Full Version : Wireframe Design Helper Program

compukidmike
09-26-2012, 01:18 PM
Hey everyone. I made a program to help me with wireframe sizing based on lights. I thought it might be useful for others. I've got it up on my blog along with instructions on how to use it. It basically allows you to design a simple wireframe and scale it to fit the number of lights you have so that there aren't a bunch left over that have to be covered up. There are versions for Windows, MacOS and Linux, as well as the source code. It was made in Processing. If anyone has questions, or suggestions to make it better, let me know. Please keep in mind that I might not get around to adding features for a while since I'm in full light show design mode now :)
http://diyelectronics.blogspot.com/2012/09/christmas-light-wireframe-design-helper.html

EDIT: Fixed a small bug with background image loading. There is a new version for download. Thanks to Dougp for pointing it out.

fathead45
09-26-2012, 01:47 PM
the download link seems to be dead.

Dougp
09-26-2012, 01:53 PM
This is just what I have been looking for.

I will download and take a look at it.

A huge thanks.

compukidmike
09-26-2012, 01:57 PM
Download links should be fixed now. Sorry about that.

griffixdc
09-26-2012, 02:18 PM
bookmarked and ready to use when needed which it will be needed this year !!

GWH
12-18-2012, 01:06 AM
I can down load and exstract the files but can not make the program run??

chadowamsley
01-08-2013, 08:03 PM
Only loads a white screen when I try opening.

kkmm
01-09-2013, 08:17 AM
Very intresting program I am sure this will find some use

Thanks a lot

Cheers Ken

THurrle
01-09-2013, 08:50 AM
This is just what I have been looking for.

I will download and take a look at it.

A huge thanks.
+1 agree with Doug

Whipper
01-10-2013, 12:34 AM
Will this work in Win7? I can't get it to work, it gives an error "Java Virtual Machine Launcher" "Could not find the main class. Program will exit.

kkmm
01-11-2013, 09:22 AM
I have it working in Windows 8 - 64bit

baldylox
01-22-2013, 01:36 PM
seems to work for me. win7 64bit.

not sure if the OP is following or subscribed, but It would be nice to be able to start new strings in the application vs making each shape. ie ive attached the pumpkin i want to create in coro and was able to figure out how to have 50ct string for 1 eye, but would need to start over to do the mouth and nose. if the setup is correct, im going to assume if i projected this image on to some 5x5' coro id be able to trace, then drill my 50 holes for the eye i created?

edit - ok a screen shot will have to do.

Dougp
01-22-2013, 02:33 PM
but It would be nice to be able to start new strings in the application vs making each shape. ie ive attached the pumpkin i want to create in coro and was able to figure out how to have 50ct string for 1 eye, but would need to start over to do the mouth and nose.

I agree, It would be nice to be able to start new strings.

rstehle
01-22-2013, 03:44 PM
I have tried to open this app twice, (Win7 64bit) and both times I have gotten this error message: (I only posted the top few lines - it is several pages long)

A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
# EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x6907fe7d, pid=3152, tid=6864
#
# JRE version: 6.0_37-b06
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (20.12-b01 mixed mode, sharing windows-x86 )
# Problematic frame:
# C [atioglxx.dll+0x4fe7d]

baldylox
01-23-2013, 12:31 AM
I have tried to open this app twice, (Win7 64bit) and both times I have gotten this error message: (I only posted the top few lines - it is several pages long)

A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
# EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x6907fe7d, pid=3152, tid=6864
#
# JRE version: 6.0_37-b06
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (20.12-b01 mixed mode, sharing windows-x86 )
# Problematic frame:
# C [atioglxx.dll+0x4fe7d]

that's all hieroglyphics to me, but id guess its something with java....??

compukidmike
01-23-2013, 02:03 AM
hey everybody. Sorry I haven't replied to anyone. End of year/start of new is really crazy at work. Anyway, for those of you that are having issues, I'm sorry. I'm really not sure what's wrong. I'm running Win7 64bit with no issues. The program is supposed to be fully cross-platform and just work. I'll see what I can do about debugging, but it's not built from scratch. It's built on a framework that handles all the nasty business for you.

@baldylox
I've had another request for multiple strings, and I plan on doing that, but it won't be for a little while. And as for scaling, the numbers for width and height are just for the light string. So that pumpkin would be HUGE!

baldylox
01-23-2013, 11:44 AM
@baldylox
I've had another request for multiple strings, and I plan on doing that, but it won't be for a little while. And as for scaling, the numbers for width and height are just for the light string. So that pumpkin would be HUGE!

now im confused. so based on scale, if i were to put that image onto a projector, scale it up equal to that screen shot, and use this tool to guesstimate the number of lights(strings), its not accurate at ~50"/50" (1 string 200")?? thats about the size of a holidaycoro pumpkin. they are on 4'x4' sheets iirc.

chadowamsley
01-23-2013, 12:01 PM
I was able to get version 0.2 to work. I was unable to earlier, but today Im able to open.

compukidmike
01-23-2013, 01:35 PM
now im confused. so based on scale, if i were to put that image onto a projector, scale it up equal to that screen shot, and use this tool to guesstimate the number of lights(strings), its not accurate at ~50"/50" (1 string 200")?? thats about the size of a holidaycoro pumpkin. they are on 4'x4' sheets iirc.

Sorry for the confusion. I re-read your earlier post, and now I'm confused :)
I'll try to clear this up. The Width, Height and Length are measurements of just the light string, so in your design, just the eye would be about 50" square. So the overall width of the face would be about 12ft. I hope that makes sense.

Also, if you have suggestions for ways to make the interface better/less confusing, let me know. I think I'm going to start work on a multiple string version soon because of the interest.

Skunberg
01-23-2013, 01:46 PM
I got a white screen with no controls also. Might be a 32bit thing.

baldylox
01-23-2013, 03:17 PM
Sorry for the confusion. I re-read your earlier post, and now I'm confused :)
I'll try to clear this up. The Width, Height and Length are measurements of just the light string, so in your design, just the eye would be about 50" square. So the overall width of the face would be about 12ft. I hope that makes sense.

yowza, let me start over and maybe i can learn what this can do.
1. set string to appropriate length 50ct, 4" spacing, this shows length 16.x' ok check
2. draw shape for length of string. made a square. ok check
3. so this means i'd have a frame of lights that is 5'x2.5' ok check
4. each dot represents a led/incan ok check
I think i get it now.

my suggestion, it would be great if the scale was for the IMAGE/FRAME/OUTLINE(i imported in my mind a 5x5' pumpkin) that was being used to create the final working base and add multiple strings to that. id always start with a base image or outline that I would want to add strings along that frame. use this program to pull those strings along (ie my first screen shot) and not start in this manor where id make shapes that fit my string lengths. then since i know the position of the dots (all 50 are plotted per string) I can export this to an image at X-scale and toss it onto a projector and increase X-scale and VIOLA. no guessing where to drill or how many holes to drill for coro, or where to clip lights, etc etc. does that make sense?

OK im sure that's far beyond the scope and actually changes your program to a whole new thing. just thinking ou tloud to make my life easier. i see this as tool that can eliminate the guess work of stringing coro designs. i really hate have 12 extra lights taped up behind as the design needed on 38/50ct string. lol

now my brain hurts. keep this alive! there is interest!! thanks

compukidmike
01-24-2013, 01:18 AM
I'll try to incorporate those changes. This is why I wanted feedback. I'm pretty sure I'll have to rewrite the whole thing anyway, so input now helps. The way you explain it makes sense. When I originally made it, I was going to make some shooting star wireframes, and wasn't sure what size to make them with no wasted lights, so that's why the program comes at it from that angle. However, I think your approach would be more beneficial to more people. I'll see what I can do.

kwoodard
01-02-2014, 10:51 PM
I'll try to incorporate those changes. This is why I wanted feedback.

Any updates on this program? I'm considering making some singing wireframe faces (or coroboard) for my show next year, but I would like to see the concept of using multiple strings that baldylox described. If you've decided to not continue with this activity, I understand and I may write an application to do it but don't want to duplicate your work if you're still actively working on it.

Keith

compukidmike
01-06-2014, 02:02 PM
I wouldn't use the word 'actively'. It's been on the back burner for a while, and I'm not sure when I'll get the time to work on it. Feel free to expand on mine or make your own.
Michael

kwoodard
01-06-2014, 02:06 PM
I wouldn't use the word 'actively'. It's been on the back burner for a while, and I'm not sure when I'll get the time to work on it. Feel free to expand on mine or make your own.
Michael
Thanks for the status. I've started playing around with a C# application to do this. Since I'm new to this hobby, I haven't actually made a wireframe or coroboard display element yet. So, I'm open to any ideas/feature requests that anyone has.

Thanks,

Keith