PDA

View Full Version : Teaser Pics - How i will be stringing pixels on my house:)

fathead45
09-19-2012, 03:09 PM
Well since last year when i started planning pixels on my roofline i have always wondered how i was going to put them up and keep them straight. I knew i was going to use 1/2in pvc but could never think of a good way to keep them straight and to make them easy to take on and off. Well with my new house i was wanting a solution that would make it fast and easy to put up, and i could leave the mounting point up all year. I was also trying to keep it from looking ugly in the off season. So i think i finally came up with a good solution and i hope it will work out great with a lil work.

These clips fit 1/2 Grey conduit and sch40 pvc really well. It will require a couple of turns of electrical tape around the pipe to make so the pipe will not turn. in the pic you can see the bracket im using, i am still trying to refine that a bit but does work well. trying to powdercoat white to stop any rusting if the galvanized coating comes off and matchs my facisa. After the move i hope to have a better pic on the house to show what it looks like. But right now its looking like it will cost me about .55 cents each to do these. Hoping to only have to have about 5 per 10ft stick though:).

CaptKirk
09-19-2012, 03:14 PM
Do tell, where does one obtain those marvelous clips?? And what is the retrofit to make them work??

RichF
09-19-2012, 03:19 PM
how are you keeping your pixels attached to your PVC pipe?

vincerules
09-19-2012, 03:20 PM
Looks interesting! I am also curious how the clips will attach to the house.

My house already had brass picture hanging hooks on the backside of the eaves. I decided to use beaded cable ties to hang onto these hooks. I drill two small holes in the pvc for each tie and then I can easily hang it onto the clip.

fathead45
09-19-2012, 03:39 PM
i wont be storing the pvc with the pixels attached. so i will zip tie them this year to the pipe to keep straight. i will then strip off all the pixels at the end of the year. Atleast that is how i will do this year until i get garage worked out and a better storage method.

if you look at the pic there is a piece of metal that holds the clip an allows it to slip on and off so the clip will not be there all year. now i guess you could leave it up all year, just do not know what the UV will do to them. Now i plan to use on other parts of my display that will not need the bracket. so i may try to cut the clip part off and drill a hole in the center and attach that way.

Right now these were a sample i found from a supplier and trying test them and see how they work. and so far pretty good. gonna try a few weight test as well. as soon as i know more i will keep you all posted.

fathead45
09-19-2012, 03:41 PM
also if you look in the background of the 3rd pic you can see the bare clip without the mounting bracket attached.

tfischer
09-19-2012, 03:48 PM
Just curious why you'd need to remove the pixels each year. Seems it wouldn't take appreciably more room to store a pile of PVC than a pile of PVC with pixels attached... And save lots of work next year...

fathead45
09-19-2012, 03:55 PM
well all depends on if i have storage ready for them. i just moved and my garage is a cluster. so this year i will take them off to make it easier but i do plan on redoing next year with coro covers so i would have to take off anyhow.

fathead45
10-30-2012, 02:25 PM
Well i have the clips on the house. i did not make the removal able as i had hoped as i didnt have the time for it. maybe after the season.

fathead45
10-30-2012, 02:27 PM
heres a few more.

griffixdc
10-30-2012, 02:30 PM
so how are you going to put the pixels on the pipe? zip ties?

Skunberg
10-30-2012, 04:31 PM
How tall is that triangular Mega tree pole? VBG

Brian

BrianJ
10-30-2012, 04:38 PM
Just wondering what are the clips designed for and where can the be puchased/ordered from?

griffixdc
10-30-2012, 05:09 PM
even better put the rgb ribbon or pixels inside clear pvc and then you wont have to take them down ever :)

BillinSoFL
10-31-2012, 01:13 PM
I have my pixels attached to Schedule40 PVC using zip ties. I zip tie every pixel to make sure they are secure. At the end of the year I plan on storing PVC with pixels attached. That way it only takes a few minutes to put them back up.

fathead45
10-31-2012, 01:33 PM
im doing exactly what bill said. im doing a zip tie before and after the pixel so it stay flat and straight out. it is working out great so far with the window frames. this is year i do not know if i will leave them on the pipes as i want to plastidip the pixels to add some UV protection and more waterproofing but i will not have the time for this year.

as for the rectangular megatree, that is just my antenna pole for now. doubt i will use it this year for anything but i hope next year to do a shooting star from it. my real megatree's are going in the side yard and 1 will be 21ft and the other about 17ft.

brianj, as of right now these were just a sample i got from the manufacturer. i wanted to see how well they did before i tried to sell them here. You can to buy in a pretty big qty and i hope to start a run on them in January after i see how well they turn out. But they are looking like they will be about .60 each. i think for my whole roofline i only used about 20. most of them are spaced about 60in apart. i might use them on my megatree as well, dont really know yet. but there are a ton of possibilities with these.

fathead45
09-04-2013, 11:45 AM
heads up guys, will be starting to sell soon if there still is any interest.