PDA

View Full Version : Nutcracker: New Effect, Single strand Chases

smeighan
09-19-2012, 01:21 PM
I am releasing the new effect class: single strand.

With this release you can pick the three different animated gifs to model you single strand.

The only effect class today is chases. In a few days there will be color-wash and fills

The 3 animated gifs are
1) Arches
2) Window
3) Roofline

In this example we use the same virtual strand on the 3 animated gifs. It is two x100 strings concatenated together to make a 1x200 strand.
Here are the sttings for the 4 segments , these settings were used on all effects
http://meighan.net/nutcracker/images/2012-09-19_1235.png

the only difference is the model of the animated gif.

ARCH
http://meighan.net/nutcracker/effects/workspaces/2/A0_ARCH~SS_ARCH.gif

ROOFLINE
http://meighan.net/nutcracker/effects/workspaces/2/A0_ROOFLINE~SS_ROOFLINE.gif

WINDOW
http://meighan.net/nutcracker/effects/workspaces/2/A0_WINDOW~SS_WINDOW.gif

To use this:

1) Create a target model and select "single_strand".
2) Go to the seconf form and finish defining the model but telling nutcracker how many pixels each string has and how many segments you will make your virtual strand into.
in my example
2 strings of 100
4 segments

3) Now go to the effects screen, select the target model that was built as a single strand
4) select "single-strand" as the effect class
5) fill in first page of data and then go to second follow on form. This second form allows you to assign effects to each segment.
6) generate and export as usual.

Tomorrow, 7pm MST Thurs Sep 20 I will giving a tutorial on single strand effects.

thanks

fathead45
09-19-2012, 01:32 PM
i like it, thanks alot

budude
09-19-2012, 02:09 PM
I'm going to have to start wearing "Depends" when I see a new thread by Sean now... Very cool stuff - I had a pixel window frame last year and even just that was a lot to sequence - this will make things so much easier...

kychristmas
09-19-2012, 06:02 PM
Maybe its me, but i seem to be having all kinds of trouble with this today. Are you working on it? Even when I try to copy effects into my Library it says it copied them, but they don't show up.

I do not get any Second form on the Effect Page.

smeighan
09-19-2012, 06:41 PM
i have created a quick tutorial of how to use single strand chases

http://meighan.net/nutcracker/images/2012-09-19_1637.swf

boarder3
09-19-2012, 07:28 PM
Thx been waiting for this . IS there a way to set up single strand of pixels for a mini tree. bottom row 9 pixels than next row 8 ect ect till top is 1 pixel.

smeighan
09-19-2012, 08:18 PM
Thx been waiting for this . IS there a way to set up single strand of pixels for a mini tree. bottom row 9 pixels than next row 8 ect ect till top is 1 pixel.

yes, just create as many segments as you have rows. so in your case 9 segments. now you can create an effect on each row.

boarder3
09-19-2012, 08:59 PM
when i click submit on single strand roof tells me. Warning: fopen(../targets/607/MINI_TREE.dat) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /users/meighan.net/htdocs/nutcracker/login/single_strand-form.php on line 261
can't open file

budude
09-19-2012, 09:11 PM
Sean how would you suggest I go about setting up my window outline - it's 10 sections:

+------1-------+-------------------2--------------------+-------3-------+
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
7 8 9 10
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
+------4-------+-------------------5--------------------+-------6-------+

I realize I could ignore parts 8/9 and simply copy 7->8 and 10->9 but it would be nice to use all 10 parts if possible...

angus40
09-19-2012, 09:21 PM
Sean how would you suggest I go about setting up my window outline - it's 10 sections:

| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
7 8 9 10
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |

I realize I could ignore parts 8/9 and simply copy 7->8 and 10->9 but it would be nice to use all 10 parts if possible...

also with brian's window would he need to account/set the # of pixels for the bottom and top being that it is a restangle . I am curious to know how the pixels are divided for this to work correctly in the sequencer .

budude
09-19-2012, 09:47 PM
I should mention also that there are 6 physical strings - 1/2/3 and 4/5/6 are each 75 pixels long while 7,8,9 and 10 are each 39 (actually 45 with 6 "dead" pixels in my E681) but logically I treat them as 10 in the sequencer.

angus40
09-19-2012, 10:13 PM
i just noticed each segment in Sean's pic above has pixel settings for each .

kychristmas
09-19-2012, 10:50 PM
Maybe its me, but i seem to be having all kinds of trouble with this today. Are you working on it? Even when I try to copy effects into my Library it says it copied them, but they don't show up.

I do not get any Second form on the Effect Page.

Thanks Sean. It was the 3rd Submit on the Target Generator that was causing the problem. Looking good now. I just got my actual pixels today. So now there's some real testing going on.

Materdaddy
09-19-2012, 11:12 PM
I'm also anxious about the answer to Brian's question. My roofline is laid out with a similarly strange layout:

| |___________|
|____________|

smeighan
09-19-2012, 11:59 PM

| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
7 8 9 10
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |

A few ways come to mind:

1) Pick the roofline animation (ignore the fact that it wont look like your window.

mark segments everyplace you want the sections. If it were me, i would add some extension wires to skip the BLUE lines.

you could also just double back and mark the blue sections as new segments. Then just dont assign anything to those segments.

http://meighan.net/nutcracker/images/budude_window.png

2) Here is a different flow, has one less blue wire
http://meighan.net/nutcracker/images/budude_window2.png

3) Here is a different flow, one less wire is shorter than option 2
http://meighan.net/nutcracker/images/budude_window3.png

if many people have this kind of window i will build an animated gif preview

kychristmas
09-20-2012, 01:41 PM
I have gone through and tried to recreate exactly what you did in the video. While it doesn't error out, I don't end up with the correct output.

First, when I get through the first part of the effect, the GIF should have all White Pixels, mine does not. It starts out with Green and Blue. When I enter the colors for the segments and submit, I end up with with Blue and Green. I have confirmed that its not just the GIF, the output is a Blue/Green blending.

I'm sure it could be me, but I tried starting over a few times last night with the same result.i

Any idea? Is anyone else having this problem? The last time I tried was last night around midnight EST

smeighan
09-20-2012, 02:06 PM
weird. i logged in as kychristmas and just ran your effects

arches

http://meighan.net/nutcracker/effects/workspaces/58/ARCHES~ARCHES.gif

window

http://meighan.net/nutcracker/effects/workspaces/58/WINDOWS~WINDOWS.gif

it seems to be working ??

weird

kychristmas
09-20-2012, 02:18 PM
weird indeed. I'm going to try it again and see what happens. I'll let you know. Thanks for checking into it.

On another weird note, meighan.net is blocked by the WebSense tool at work. I had to use my own laptop on our public network to see the GIFs above.

Kelly

weird. i logged in as kychristmas and just ran your effects

arches

http://meighan.net/nutcracker/effects/workspaces/58/ARCHES~ARCHES.gif

window

http://meighan.net/nutcracker/effects/workspaces/58/WINDOWS~WINDOWS.gif

it seems to be working ??

weird

boarder3
09-20-2012, 04:53 PM
weird indeed. I'm going to try it again and see what happens. I'll let you know. Thanks for checking into it.

On another weird note, meighan.net is blocked by the WebSense tool at work. I had to use my own laptop on our public network to see the GIFs above.

Kelly

Is everyone getting error when trying to create effects for single stand

kychristmas
09-20-2012, 05:04 PM
Is everyone getting error when trying to create effects for single stand

It seems to be working now. My original error was coming not hitting the Submit button an extra time when creating the model. You essentially hit Submit at least 3 times for it to save correctly.

Kelly

boarder3
09-20-2012, 05:52 PM
I keep getting this MINITREE Target model needs to be resaved for ../targets/607/MINITREE.dat i hit the button 6 times even more than video shows still dont work

smeighan
09-20-2012, 07:32 PM
your minitree is using a vert matrix. the matrix got broken this last week,

try making your targets as either a megatree ot a single strand

boarder3
09-20-2012, 09:05 PM
That weird im hitting single strand. im following your video that is posted one step at a time. Not sure why its doing what your saying??
If i go to admin clean up strings heres whats there
# Object Delete? Object
Name Object
Desc Model
Type Pixel
Count Folds
1 TARGET TESTING testt SINGLE_STRAND 1x0 1
Heres another thing it says
Warning: fopen(../targets/607/MINITREE.dat) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /users/meighan.net/htdocs/nutcracker/login/single_strand-form.php on line 261
can't open file

smeighan
09-21-2012, 05:23 PM
I have released a new version of single strand.

you now have fade_3d for color 1 and 2
you also have rainbow to override color 1 &2

this should also fix the artifacts.

I have not fixed the requirement needing to double click when you create the target model.

thanks
sean

henkvis
10-03-2012, 05:29 PM
Not sure, is single strand now available or not.... from the website it looks not available yet..

Waiting for your answer. Thanks for the work!

kgustafson
10-03-2012, 09:02 PM
It's available. Just know that we are still testing it so bugs may arise.

tjetzer
10-03-2012, 11:45 PM
I'm having issues with the single strand. I'm buidlign the effect and am getting: Cannot open load file '/users/meighan.net/htdocs/nutcracker/effects/workspaces/25/ROOFLINE~ORANGE' line 0: util.c: No such file or directory

I'm also getting this when I try to export the vix file:

Array
(
[base] => ROOFLINE~ORANGE CHASE
[full_path] => ../effects/workspaces/25/ROOFLINE~ORANGE CHASE_d_1.dat
[frame_delay] => 10
[username] => tjetzer
[member_id] => 25
[seq_duration] => 1.49
[sequencer] => vixen
[pixel_count] => 0
)
select username from members where member_id='25'
Warning: fopen(../effects/workspaces/25/ROOFLINE~ORANGE CHASE.nc) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /users/meighan.net/htdocs/nutcracker/effects/make_vixen.php on line 136
Unable to open ../effects/workspaces/25/ROOFLINE~ORANGE CHASE.nc

BillAd
10-04-2012, 12:03 AM
looks like a space was used in the name, rename the effect removing the space.

smeighan
10-04-2012, 12:25 AM
looks like a space was used in the name, rename the effect removing the space.

Although i have stated thsi many times (Dont Use Spaces in your effect names), it is a stupid error (on my part) that i should code around, just havent spent any cycles as am trying to get

projects working for all effect types
ability to load labels file from audacity so you can mark your own phrases
single strand effects, ability to view all effects that are single strand. windows, eaves and arches and sequence them all together
horizontal matrix models
bugs (Things like the flickering in spirals)

so when there is something like this that the user can fix themselves, it will probably have to wait for a fix until after this season.

Donny M. Carter
10-04-2012, 10:16 AM
I'm getting a fade in although I have it set at 0 on my effect "SS_Green_White_MBD". Not sure what I'm doing wrong! Thanks Sean!!

henkvis
10-04-2012, 11:05 AM
Is this the same kind of error?
"
Warning: fopen(../targets/649/ARCH.dat) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /users/meighan.net/htdocs/nutcracker/login/single_strand-form.php on line 261
can't open file

"

during hitting the "generating model" button?

Donny M. Carter
10-04-2012, 11:15 AM
"
Warning: fopen(../targets/649/ARCH.dat) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /users/meighan.net/htdocs/nutcracker/login/single_strand-form.php on line 261
can't open file

"

The effect generates fine, it just has a fade at the beginning.

smeighan
10-04-2012, 01:06 PM
"
can't open file

"

You found a bug, congratulations!

all models are created under the targets directory. Under that your models are put under your member_id. For henkvis, your member _id is 649. So when the code tried to create your model ARCH.dat, it was an invalid path.
The very first time you create a model, the code need to create the subdirectory for your member_id. So the subdir shown in RED was missing.
fopen(../targets/649/ARCH.dat)

This bug would only happen if you have never created a megatree model and only created a single strand model.

The single strand code was missing the snippet that creates a directory under your name.

It is fixed and relased

Here is your single strand using the defaults

http://meighan.net/nutcracker/effects/workspaces/649/ARCH~SINGLESTRAND.gif

henkvis
10-05-2012, 03:50 PM
Great! I was already feeling a little stupid and thinking, will do something next year.

Maybe I can use it this season!

Thanks and good luck on the projects!

jaywalk101
10-05-2012, 04:14 PM
Hey Sean,

I've been testing out the Single Strand for my 6 segment arch. It seems to work, but I'm getting weird behavior. I'm posting the GIF in my post. Its like the arches will start chasing a single pixel from left to right, after my 6, and 7 interval is defined.

Username: Jaywalk101 -- It may be something I'm doing wrong.
http://meighan.net/nutcracker/effects/workspaces/66/ARCH~ARCH.gif