PDA

View Full Version : Time Resolution

Henedce
09-18-2012, 11:49 PM
Is there any chance you could include a 10Msec or 12.5Msec time resolution into HLS?
Some of the effects Im planning to sequence (strobes) really need 10 - 12.5 Msec timing to make them appear like a strobe not just turning lights on.
I know its memory intensive but I and Im sure others would like the choice to use it.

Cheers

PS Awesome job so far the more I play the more I love

n_gifford
09-19-2012, 12:09 AM
I was playing around with my (mini) mega tree which has 506 pixels on it. Kind of a long story, but there's a neighbor that hates everyone, so another neighbor and I were joking about me flashing all of the lights on the house like a strobe light to make her mad......

Anyway, even at 50ms timing, I was kind of surprised how quick the flashes seemed. I don't intend on doing too much in the way of a strobe effect, but I can see using a little bit at 25ms timing for Halloween and I think that will suit me well.

Henedce
09-19-2012, 12:13 AM
Might have another play tonight was ages ago when I tested it. Make sure I had my timing set right .

So hold on this :)

ags0000
09-19-2012, 12:46 AM
I've been building a sequence and to test to be sure everything in my system design could keep up with a 20 mSec resolution, I tested a simple all-on/all-off pattern @ 20 mSec.

The next time I do that (if ever) I'll be sure to have someone sitting with me, wearing a welder's mask, with a hand on the "emergency off" switch. Maybe in a separate bunker. Looking directly at it made my brain hurt but it was still a struggle to look away and force my (physiological) motor control back into action to turn it off. Just sayin'...

budude
09-19-2012, 01:14 AM
The refresh rate capability depends mainly on the speed of your interface and how many channels you are updating during each interval. If you are running DMX, sending 512 channels, then you can't go faster than 25ms (it's actually like 23 or so...) but again - that's all 512. If you are running only a 24-channel Ren/Serial at 57K then you are looking at about 5 mS. Just do the math and allow for some fudge for overhead.