PDA

View Full Version : Wireframe without any welding? Possible?

cheval22
09-18-2012, 01:43 PM
Hi,

I'm actually new to wireframes and I would like to build my own custome one. I do not own a welder so I was wondering if there was a way of doing wireframe without welds?

I got some LED strips and I'm looking for a way to place them, that's why I thought of the wireframes. Any other ideas is welcome!

Thank you very much!

BillAd
09-18-2012, 02:20 PM
If the wire guage is not too thick you should be able to use a mapp gas torch with brazing rods. Here is one example: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202185045/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=torch&storeId=10051

Bill

somtng4u2c
09-18-2012, 03:56 PM
You might get a hold of dougp on here as he makes wire frames for customers all the time.

crazy_carpenter
09-18-2012, 05:44 PM
Check with Matt_Edwards. He recommended this product to me. http://durafix.com/ I haven't tried it yet but he seems to like it.

Matt_Edwards
09-18-2012, 06:29 PM
I used 1/8" wire for my wreath and quickly learned I lack way too many skils to Stick weld this gauge even with 1.5mm sticks (all I had at the time was a stick welder)
So I ended using 14" lengths of 18gauge wire to wrap two joining ends on the frame togeather. Once I was happy with the overall shape, I applied Durafix to the joint, and when it hardened the frame no longer slipped or moved.
bear in mind if you go this way, you joints will be bigger and thus needs to be considered when designing your frame.

My weather is 3' diameter so it is not a small structure.

Matt_Edwards
09-18-2012, 06:33 PM
others have used flat bar. You bent and riveted the joints.
I havent used this method, but I remember reading a strip Star that used this method with Aluminium.

budude
09-18-2012, 07:14 PM
others have used flat bar. You bent and riveted the joints.
I havent used this method, but I remember reading a strip Star that used this method with Aluminium.

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?20585-exploding-star-without-welding-or-paint-for-RGb

djulien
09-18-2012, 09:39 PM
If it is heavy guage wire (as opposed to "bars" or "rods") in the frames and the overall structure is not too heavy, duct tape holds surprising well on the joints (the good quality duct tape with cloth-like backing, not the thin stretchy plastic backing).

don

cheval22
09-19-2012, 06:18 PM
Thank you guys for all your answer it is really apreciate! Unfortunately, I need to do some "curved" frame, so with some circle shape. I can't proceed as with the RGB star... but this is a great idea!

Do you guys know other way to proceed with some strip led light? I mean, without proceeding with wireframes?

Thank you again for all your help!!

Matt_Edwards
09-19-2012, 06:55 PM
Depends on your dimensions. Hoola hoops work. Polypipe irrigation pipe works.
Here 19mm Polypipe fits inside conduit Tees

sent from one of those mobile thingies

n_gifford
09-19-2012, 10:20 PM
Sorry to hi-jack the thread, I'll make it quick!

Matt, can you offer any pointers on using Durafix? I bought some because I like to work with aluminum but don't want to spend the money on a nice tig welder. I can't, for the life of me, get the stuff to work consistently. Thick pieces of aluminum are relatively easy, but I've had no luck with small stuff. By small I'm talking 1/8" 'wire'. I clean everything well, but seem to struggle with heat. It's always either too cold and won't get the Durafix to flow, or too hot (Happens very quickly) and starts to melt the aluminum. This is with a MAPP gas torch with somewhere around a 3/8" tip on it. Any help would be appreciated!

Back to the OP, do you have any friends with a small wire feed welder? I bought mine at Home Depot for like $250 and it works great for anything up to about 1/4". Everybody has at least one friend with a welder, right?.... :)

imbluenote
09-19-2012, 10:28 PM
Back to the OP, do you have any friends with a small wire feed welder? I bought mine at Home Depot for like $250 and it works great for anything up to about 1/4". Everybody has at least one friend with a welder, right?.... :)
I decided to buy a wire feed welder to. Found one on Craigslist for about $50. Works great on 1/4" rod. I had never welded any thing before and it have made a few snow flakes and stars for mini trees. If you can find one cheap I think it is the way to go.

n_gifford
09-19-2012, 10:49 PM
I decided to buy a wire feed welder to. Found one on Craigslist for about $50. Works great on 1/4" rod. I had never welded any thing before and it have made a few snow flakes and stars for mini trees. If you can find one cheap I think it is the way to go.

They are nice for many things, even if you're not a professional welder. I've had my DC stick welder for years, but it doesn't do well with small material, so I finally had to break down and buy an inexpensive 110v wire feed for odds and ends around the house.

Warlock
09-23-2012, 01:36 PM
So far I have had good luck with a putty type product called Tech Steel...You can find it for like $10.00 in automotive stores..It's made for filling in small holes in metal..You can sand it,paint it etc...It holds really well so far for my wire frames that have split over the years...Hope this info helps...Another product found in the plumbing isles at home depot etc is called Fix-it - stick..It's an epoxy putty you kneed to mix..It will attach steel to concrete without an issue and be strong..I plan on using this for attaching hooks to the under side of my balcony for attaching lights etc....

griffixdc
09-23-2012, 03:26 PM
whats the best way to mount the lights to the wire frames so the shape and definition of the wire frame is shown best rather than look like a cluster of lights. I am wanting to build mini stars and wrap
a 50ct string of LEDs on them just not sure how to approach this

Warlock
09-24-2012, 12:22 AM
The way I did mine was to simply lay them flat.Figure out the direction of the bulbs ( for c6 or c9 or even mini leds) then what I did was use white zip ties and white electrical tape to hold the lights in place.Mine have been that way for 2 years and not one light has moved...Just remember each one has a direction of view...When you put the lights on make sure that view is up and facing you...

griffixdc
09-24-2012, 07:52 AM
The way I did mine was to simply lay them flat.Figure out the direction of the bulbs ( for c6 or c9 or even mini leds) then what I did was use white zip ties and white electrical tape to hold the lights in place.Mine have been that way for 2 years and not one light has moved...Just remember each one has a direction of view...When you put the lights on make sure that view is up and facing you...

wow alot of zip ties are going to be needed but might just work.

kingofkya
09-24-2012, 11:52 AM
You might want to order as few 1000 zip ties for that project:)
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10520