PDA

View Full Version : Length of Cat cable and extension cords ?

TERBObob
01-12-2008, 12:33 PM
Ok ... I have tried to find an answer to these questions , and regretfully , have not ( so hopefully , I am not posting this in the wrong section )
What is the max length of cat cable you can run from your 595 to the SSR board(s) and also , what length extension cords can you run from the SSR boards to the lights ?

scharbon
01-12-2008, 03:45 PM
I have personnally run over 200 feet of cat 5 between controller and SSR with no problems. I did this for my 2007 show. Absolutely no problems. As a test, I ran an 850 foot cable between my controller and ssr - again no problem.

As far as extension cords to lights goes - you are just pushing AC down the line - you are limited to the same distance you would be if you didn't have an SSR in the way. I guess you could make a cable that was eventually so long the internal resistance of the wires would affect your show - but that would be a pretty long extension cord. How far do you think you are going to run the extension cords? Lots of guys run the SSRs in the garage and then run extension cords to their display out in the yard - so I bet over 150 feet is easily doable.

Steve

TERBObob
01-12-2008, 04:22 PM
Thanks ...
Those were the answers I was kinda hoping to see .
Ya see , I wasn't sure whether to invest in TONS of lengths of extension cords , or CAT cables .
( I already got a GREAT deal on 15 footer extension cords at HOME DEPOT and wasn't sure if I went the right route )
Thanks again for the quick reply .