PDA

View Full Version : Play from mark

BrianJ
09-02-2012, 09:21 AM
Not sure if it is a bug or what but when I have output sequence engaged and select "play from mark" the audio does play from the mark but the sequence runs from the start. ie not lined up with the music.

Also would it be possible for the sequence and the audio display to scroll when I have output sequence active. I have my elements set up and everything attached in my basement so it is much easier and more realistic for me to use the output option for viewing rather than setting up a visualizer.

As always, Thanks for all your efforts Joe, This is getting to be a great little piece of software. :)

JHinkle
09-02-2012, 09:51 AM
Windows is not a real-time OS.

When performing operations that are real-time - I restrict certain operations to make sure real-time actions properly take place at the proper time.

Play from mark is a sequence aid - not intended for output. Let me ponder the request further to allow play from mark for output. The underlying issue is that the audio and time ruler are also disabled during output - that is the interaction that needs to be looked into.

As for the second request - at this time - no. As stated above - audio and time display are disabled so as to guarantee top performance from real-time operations.

Joe

kingofkya
09-02-2012, 02:59 PM
Yeah, It some times does that most of the time hitting stop seams to correct it.(most of the time at least)

IpsissimusMarr
11-19-2012, 09:38 PM
Reviving an old thread, I second having the output start at the mark. I have been converting my Vixen sequences to HLS and have just now begun assembling lights outside. I relied on testing visual output to the sequence in vixen. This year I've added a spiral mega tree I want to see what effects I can sequence for it.
This means I want to test a chase sequence, play and watch it out the window. Then add a second chase, play and watch it. As is I have to watch the entire sequence to get to the second chase.
Similarly, when I'm working on a song and trying to get the show just right at the end I want to repeat play a section of a song and watch it outside, not watch the entire sequence to get to the end.

I understand what you mean by Windows and real time operations, but perhaps this would be a great aid in sequencing. ... or I should just break my "vixen" way of thinking and convert my brain to HLS as well :)

Thank you for all the amazing work!

emarti20
11-22-2012, 01:34 PM
Funny this got brought up again recently as I was coming to ask the same question. I have certain areas of my sequence where the visualizer doesn't quite reflect what things look like compared to the LEDs, especially when color shifting RGB values. Makes some of the smaller tweaks take a while if you have to wait for the whole song to play until you hit the spot you're working on. This is my first year, and I think I would have gone crazy trying to work RGB with Vixen. Have a great Thanksgiving!

JHinkle
11-23-2012, 06:23 PM
Not sure if it is a bug or what but when I have output sequence engaged and select "play from mark" the audio does play from the mark but the sequence runs from the start. ie not lined up with the music.

Also would it be possible for the sequence and the audio display to scroll when I have output sequence active. I have my elements set up and everything attached in my basement so it is much easier and more realistic for me to use the output option for viewing rather than setting up a visualizer.

As always, Thanks for all your efforts Joe, This is getting to be a great little piece of software. :)

I relooked at the code ----

If you have a START mark (RED - right mouse click) and a END mark (GREEN - Ctrl right mouse click) - then you CAN run the output from the START mark, ending at END or repeating ...

I just do do any window display work while I am performing output - as in scrolling the audio window, time ruler or sequence window .... BUT the START and END points works.

So --- play from mark DOES work - you just have to listen and watch the lights.

Joe

IpsissimusMarr
11-27-2012, 10:11 PM
I just tested this and I see the same behavior BrianJ noted. Tested on an existing sequence, then created a new sequence in 8.F with no luck. The new sequence had Audio loaded, raw channels defined, output defined, basic chase created across 24 channels.

- Loaded Sequence.
- Highlighted are: Disengage Audio Display, Output Sequence
- Selected: On Stop Return Beginning
- Right-clicked at 5.0s to place Red mark.
- Shift-Right-clicked at 8.5s to place Green mark.

The Play/Pause works normally and starts at beginning of sequence. "Play from mark" plays music from second 5.0 but outputs display to physical lights from beginning of sequence. Each time the music skips from second 8.5 to 5.0 the lights start at the beginning of sequence instead of second 5. Tried with "On Stop Return Mark" and "On Stop Stay Where U R" also.

The way I understand your above post is that output should be from 5.0s to 8.5s along with the music, correct?

I'm running HLS 8.F on Windows 7 if that has any bearing.

--Thanks!

JHinkle
11-28-2012, 05:21 PM
I had forgot to add my audio offset to the output routine.

Audio started as requested - but lighting always atarted at beginning.

8G should fix this.

Thanks.

Joe

IpsissimusMarr
11-29-2012, 10:05 PM
Wonderful! Tested it tonight and it works beautifully, this will make life easier. Thank you again for the amazing work you do.