PDA

View Full Version : Today was an interesting day for me.

mschell
08-31-2012, 08:20 PM
After a full day of work, I got at a call 15 minutes before the end of the day telling me that my job has been eliminated. Not the best thing to have happen before a long holiday weekend.

Would appreciate your thots and prayers for the future...

chelmuth
08-31-2012, 08:25 PM
Sorry to hear that. I hope they were a little more tactful than just telling you over the phone.. Sounds like it's time to open up a e68x assembly line / store front. Hope everything turns out for the better..

budude
08-31-2012, 08:32 PM
Wow... sorry to hear that Mark - hope it turns around quick for you!

ChristmasBuddy
08-31-2012, 09:23 PM
Sorry to hear that. I've been there myself. I was unemployed for 2.5 years and we are still suffering thru the financial tsunami we experiencd.

We'll be praying for you.

Wayne J
08-31-2012, 09:31 PM
Wow, I know exactly how that feels. I have been unemployed for almost a year now. Hope you find something soon.

lightman
08-31-2012, 09:39 PM
Sorry to hear this Mark. Hope something comes soon. Will keep you and your family in our thoughts and prayers.

Regards,
Lightman

n_gifford
08-31-2012, 09:50 PM
Keep your chin up Mark! Try to enjoy the long weekend as best you can, and hit the ground running on Tuesday. You'll find something better in no time!

dirknerkle
08-31-2012, 10:53 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this news, Mark. Take the weekend to clear your head, breathe in some fresh air and stand tall as you face the future. Our thoughts and prayers are with you, to be sure!

mschell
08-31-2012, 11:23 PM
Sorry to hear that. I hope they were a little more tactful than just telling you over the phone.. Sounds like it's time to open up a e68x assembly line / store front. Hope everything turns out for the better..

Cory,

I work from home and am several hundred miles from the home office. So getting the news over the phone was the best way to tell me.

Now about that E68x assembly line....that's always a thought!

I've gotten several leads and many offers of recommendations already from coworkers, so we'll start fresh next week!

budude
08-31-2012, 11:32 PM
Look at this way - you have more time for sequencing now!!! (sorry - - CLAP humor...) :wink2:

Matt_Edwards
09-01-2012, 12:39 AM
Mark,
Super sad to hear your news. We'll be praying for you.

Sent from my MZ601 using Tapatalk 2

tommy
09-01-2012, 07:43 AM
I know exactly how you feel. Last December, my work notified me that my job was being eliminated at the end of the month. I've been unemployed since the first of this year and haven't been able to find work. But being unemployed has its benefits... sleeping in, going to things that I want to do... stuff like that. Just make sure you get signed up for unemployment.

Good luck on your job search.

Tom

g2ktcf
09-01-2012, 08:04 AM
We will keep you guys in our prayers.

Skunberg
09-01-2012, 10:46 AM
So sorry to hear that Mark. Your in our prayers.
And I'm not going to wish you luck because your very qualified and don't need luck.

Brian

thg
09-01-2012, 05:24 PM
Sorry to hear the bad news Mark I'm sure you will find something soon. Just have a Happy Labor Day weekend and start frest on Tuesday and things will be fine.

Thomas

dmcole
09-01-2012, 05:45 PM
Mark:

Losing a job is like losing a loved one -- you need to go through the "five stages of grief" (you can goggle that for more info).

The sooner you get through those stages, the better off you'll be.

I'll be sending positive thoughts in your direction for the next couple of weeks.

Best o' luck.

\dmc

mschell
09-02-2012, 01:53 PM
Mark:

Losing a job is like losing a loved one -- you need to go through the "five stages of grief" (you can goggle that for more info).

The sooner you get through those stages, the better off you'll be.

I'll be sending positive thoughts in your direction for the next couple of weeks.

Best o' luck.

\dmc

Fully understand the process, since I've been thru this several times in the last 5 years. This one was just a little tougher since it came totally unexpected, and on such short notice.

In any case, if anyone knows of a company that can use an experienced solution architect in or near North Carolina, let me know.

I've worked for and have called on some of the top 100 companies in the US, as well as Joe's Bar and Grill down the street, which means I can have a serious conversation with a local sysadmin or a CIO. I spent a good portion of my life at Compaq/HP, dealing with enterprise level clients. I just left a medium sized Solution Provider that offered virtualization, cloud, and many other solutions with gear from IBM, HP, NetApp, Brocade and others. We were VMware's Partner of the Year for North America last year. I have multiple certifications from IBM, HP, RedHat, Symantec and LPI. Lots of experience with data storage, data management and protection.

budude
09-02-2012, 02:35 PM
Check out Cisco at RTP - not sure what's available currently but worth a look. We're doing tons of virtualization solutions all over the place and just recently re-affirmed our partnership with VMware. I know enough VMware to be dangerous at this point - neat stuff!

GoodHumor
09-12-2012, 11:31 AM
Mark,

Sorry to hear about the loss of the job. My thoughts are with you.

With your skills, you may try searching Wells Fargo for positions. Depending on the role that are in, the location doesn't matter. My team is literally spread across the nations with the manager currently located in Charlotte. I am located in Minneapolis. WF can and will test your patience when it comes to the hiring process. It can seem like the black hole sometimes. But people do get interview and hired.

Cheers,

Good Humor (Joel)

kychristmas
09-12-2012, 12:06 PM
Fully understand the process, since I've been thru this several times in the last 5 years. This one was just a little tougher since it came totally unexpected, and on such short notice.

In any case, if anyone knows of a company that can use an experienced solution architect in or near North Carolina, let me know.

I've worked for and have called on some of the top 100 companies in the US, as well as Joe's Bar and Grill down the street, which means I can have a serious conversation with a local sysadmin or a CIO. I spent a good portion of my life at Compaq/HP, dealing with enterprise level clients. I just left a medium sized Solution Provider that offered virtualization, cloud, and many other solutions with gear from IBM, HP, NetApp, Brocade and others. We were VMware's Partner of the Year for North America last year. I have multiple certifications from IBM, HP, RedHat, Symantec and LPI. Lots of experience with data storage, data management and protection.

If calls from recruiters are any indication, the technology arena seems to be coming out of the darkness. If you haven't already, get your resume on Dice.com. You may have to travel a bit, but there's a lot of project work out there. Start taking some short-term project work as a 1099 while you look for permanent position. Who knows, you may find the independent work to be better suited for you.

JasonPortwood
09-12-2012, 12:34 PM
Such terrible news. Good luck out there.

FIRECOP252
09-12-2012, 09:24 PM
Mark...hate to hear that sorry so late just noticed the thread. Hope things work the best for you sir.

mschell
09-12-2012, 11:20 PM
Thanks for all the thots and prayers, folks.

I'm still working the phone and email to former coworkers, friends, and acquaintances. Getting some referrals from these and other areas.

Got some good leads and working them thru.

Time seems to go so slowly when your daily activities get changed all around.

But I am working on some projects that I had put on the back burner - just can't spend too much $ until things get worked out.

mikeh65
09-13-2012, 01:03 AM
In the same boat Mark. I was told the same about a month ago. My last day is officially in tomorrow. (9/14) I don't know what work you do, but try Dice.com and InDeed.com , both are job search engines for the Tech field.

Good Luck,
We both need it.

kychristmas
09-13-2012, 08:58 AM
Thanks for all the thots and prayers, folks.

I'm still working the phone and email to former coworkers, friends, and acquaintances. Getting some referrals from these and other areas.

Got some good leads and working them thru.

Time seems to go so slowly when your daily activities get changed all around.

But I am working on some projects that I had put on the back burner - just can't spend too much $ until things get worked out.

Please don't take this the wrong way as I don't want to state the obvious or seem to be lecturing you, but...

You absolutely cannot let the momentum fall off. Before you know it friends and former co-workers start to get numb to your situation. There's also and out-of-sight, out-of-mind thing going on. The further you are removed from your former Job, the less they will think of you. It's nothing personal, it's just the way it is.

So. here's the advice. Get on Linked-In and connect to every person you have ever worked with. Connect with non-tech folks you know as well. Get on Dice.com and every other Tech job site. Ladders.com is a bit more specialized, but still worth the effort to create a free account. Most importantly, go back to the sites often and update your profile. Ask colleagues to write a recommenddation of Linked-In You have to treat it like Facebook for Job Hunters. Head Hunters and Recruiters use Linked-In to find people with skills they are looking for.

Fortunately, I really haven't been through it personally. I have had some slow times and chose to get off the road for lesser pay, but I was never laid-off or fired. I have helped many former employees and friends through this. The beauty of what we do is that we can easily take our skills and find temporary or contract work while we look for permanent work. Quite often the contracts turn into pemanent positions or at least lead to permanent positions down the road.

mschell
09-13-2012, 09:27 AM
No worries on the comments. They are good advice, and anyone who has lost a job or finds themselves out of work needs to keep them in mind.

I'm not slacking off, by any means. I have a good crop of LinkedIn contacts and am milking them on a periodic basis. After a long career at one company for 20+ years, I've now been thru 3 jobs in the last 5. My last job switch was by choice, but being let go this time was totally unexpected. I've reconnected with folks from several jobs ago, and am exploring the contract world as well.

Above all, I am resolute in the belief that, "when one door is closed, another is opened". My faith is what keeps me sane and mostly sleeping at night thru these times...