PDA

View Full Version : HLS & Linux using wine

Materdaddy
08-29-2012, 02:30 AM
Is there anybody using HLS with linux using wine?

I have successfully run HLS under wine with no tweaks or anything. I've done some very basic "smoke testing" and even output E1.31 to my controllers using wine on debian squeeze, but one major thing that I need to work that isn't is the oscilloscope audio display. Does anybody know of a work-around or maybe something with winetricks or other wine hacks to get this working?

Alternatively, Joe, (I'm assuming you read all the posts here, hopefully I'm not making an ... well, you know the saying)...
Do you know if you're using some atypical library or something to do that audio rendering that could be "tweaked"?

JHinkle
08-29-2012, 08:27 AM
PaintAudio(CDC* pDC)

pDC->PatBlt(PixelPos+j, ZeroLocation - SamplePixelSize, 1, SamplePixelSize, BLACKNESS);

Just using a CDC function - PatBlt.

If you know another function that can work with Vine - let me know and we can see if it will work.

Joe

kychristmas
08-29-2012, 09:10 AM
PaintAudio(CDC* pDC)

pDC->PatBlt(PixelPos+j, ZeroLocation - SamplePixelSize, 1, SamplePixelSize, BLACKNESS);

Just using a CDC function - PatBlt.

If you know another function that can work with Vine - let me know and we can see if it will work.

Joe

No offense, but Let's not go changing an application that works great in its Native OS. We are headed into the 11th hour and there are a number of people relying on your excellent tool. Let's not upset the apple cart.

Mater - PatBlt is a core graphics function. You said it's not working? Is that module completely empty or not on the screen at all?

Joe,
I assume you are using PatBlt other places in the code. If so, then it's likely another issue with Wine.

Materdaddy
08-29-2012, 09:54 AM
No offense, but Let's not go chaning an application that works great in its Native OS. We are headed to the 11th hour and there are a number of people relying on your excellent tool. Let's not upset the apple cart.

Mater - PatBlt is a core graphics function. You said it's not working? Is that module completely empty or not on the screen at all?

Joe,
I assume you are using PatBlt other places in the code. If so, then it's likely another issue with Wine.

I understand that Linux isn't the supported OS for HLS which is why I first asked for answers from somebody who knows wine. The second question was actually more inquisitory in nature and also the reason I said "tweaked". It sounds like it's something completely standard that is just broken in Wine. Now that I know the function being called I might be able to do some googling to see if there's a solution, thanks Joe!

I agree that we're getting to the 11th hour, I was just getting excited that I might be able to use HLS in linux, but it's looking like a VM it will be. To answer your question, the audio section is just blank. The red tick marks draw when playing, but I just realized the display preview doesn't work either. I can click the vectors and draw a line, but when I move to a new channel the previously drawn channels disappear. I just get blank black when playing back the sequence too.

Here's a screenshot of the main window showing some red tick marks from playback, but nothing else in the audio window:
http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/ac127/materdaddy/diyc/diyc%20-%20posts/Screenshot-HLS.jpg

I'll post back if I find anything out about Wine and the PatBlt functionality.

kychristmas
08-29-2012, 10:36 AM
I understand that Linux isn't the supported OS for HLS which is why I first asked for answers from somebody who knows wine. The second question was actually more inquisitory in nature and also the reason I said "tweaked". It sounds like it's something completely standard that is just broken in Wine. Now that I know the function being called I might be able to do some googling to see if there's a solution, thanks Joe!

I agree that we're getting to the 11th hour, I was just getting excited that I might be able to use HLS in linux, but it's looking like a VM it will be. To answer your question, the audio section is just blank. The red tick marks draw when playing, but I just realized the display preview doesn't work either. I can click the vectors and draw a line, but when I move to a new channel the previously drawn channels disappear. I just get blank black when playing back the sequence too.

Here's a screenshot of the main window showing some red tick marks from playback, but nothing else in the audio window:

Sorry if my message came off poorly. It's certainly not my call. Joe is just so responsive and I didn't want him starting to chase something and cause issues for others at this point in the game. Clearly, its his call. I also don't blame you at all. I'm not a Linux guy, but I know your efforts and research will be much appreciated by that community.

It does make more sense that other draw functions are not working.

Materdaddy
08-29-2012, 11:27 AM
Sorry if my message came off poorly. It's certainly not my call. Joe is just so responsive and I didn't want him starting to chase something and cause issues for others at this point in the game. Clearly, its his call. I also don't blame you at all. I'm not a Linux guy, but I know your efforts and research will be much appreciated by that community.

It does make more sense that other draw functions are not working.

No problem. When I first read your message I was a little taken aback, but after re-reading my phrasing, and your reply, my post might have been phrased a bit off causing reason for alarm! I know this is a problem with linux/wine, not HLS but I wanted more information. I also understand how important sequencing is to this hobby and that we're getting to the "point of no return" (for 2012) for making major changes to software we're all going to be relying on! I will be posting a few "I hope these can be added" features tonight when I get home after doing a lot more playing with HLS and watching howto videos and reading the manual and as you stated, everything is Joe's call, I just have a few small suggestions that I believe will make the sequencing slightly faster.

Back to the topic at hand, I did see that there is a "howto" for adding new features to wine and it uses a poly blit example. I'm not saying that means pattern blit isn't implemented, but it might be stubbed in the version of wine I'm running. I'll post up if I find any more information about this topic.

n_gifford
08-29-2012, 01:23 PM
Please share if you do find anything, and I will look as well. HLS has been working well with WINE on Ubuntu 12.04 for me, with the exception of the issue you described. My work around to the audio issue is to use Audacity along side HLS to get a better 'picture' of the audio profile. I'm sequencing on a machine with a dual monitor - extended desktop setup, so it's easier to see both at once. I actually haven't played with the preview yet. Out of curiosity, have you added a back ground image to the preview? I've read elsewhere that the channels that you've drawn will disappear when you try to draw with a new channel until you've actually added an image.

angus40
08-29-2012, 01:25 PM

http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/ac127/materdaddy/diyc/diyc%20-%20posts/Screenshot-HLS.jpg

In order to see the preview played back you need a checkmark in the preview box.

JHinkle
08-29-2012, 01:40 PM
Just to be clear - I don't make changes just to please someone - it has to make sense to me and be worthwhile for users.

What I was thinking - was if a different draw capability would make everything work in wine - I might consider a config switch that would flip draw capabilities from windows to wine. Then all those on Windows - no affect.

You bothered me with the preview statement - not working - since those are simple vectro line draw calls.

After looking at the code, I see I created a bug when I opened up preview to 10 images.

I only draw preview vectors if the selected image matches the image associated with the channel.

What I missed was the condition of no image selected.

Version 5Z addresses that.

I use PatBlt to draw the audio and the ruler scale lines - which I see are also missing in your picture.

If you can find an alternative function that works in wine - we can test it - and if that is the only issue - then HLS would also be usefull to those using that OS.

Joe

Materdaddy
08-29-2012, 02:46 PM
In order to see the preview played back you need a checkmark in the preview box.

I was just trying to show the audio in that screen grab, not the preview not displaying. The preview not displaying has similar symptoms as the audio waveform, but I need to try 1Z and/or adding an image to see if it works or not. Thanks for the help.

Just to be clear - I don't make changes just to please someone - it has to make sense to me and be worthwhile for users.

What I was thinking - was if a different draw capability would make everything work in wine - I might consider a config switch that would flip draw capabilities from windows to wine. Then all those on Windows - no affect.

You bothered me with the preview statement - not working - since those are simple vectro line draw calls.

After looking at the code, I see I created a bug when I opened up preview to 10 images.

I only draw preview vectors if the selected image matches the image associated with the channel.

What I missed was the condition of no image selected.

Version 5Z addresses that.

I use PatBlt to draw the audio and the ruler scale lines - which I see are also missing in your picture.

If you can find an alternative function that works in wine - we can test it - and if that is the only issue - then HLS would also be usefull to those using that OS.

Joe

Interesting about the no image being selected. I did not add an image and was simply drawing on black like in the first HOWTO video. Good catch! I'll update and try the new version tonight when I get home.

I'm not a GUI developer so I'll likely be no help about the PatBlt and I don't want you wasting your time tracking down "bugs" that aren't related to your code, but have to do with linux. I will however let you know if I find something.

I might not look too much because I can use a VM almost as easily which does (obviously) work properly since it's running in the OS this was targeted for.

kingofkya
08-29-2012, 03:23 PM
You might want to compile the newes wine, just to make sure. Also i know HLS dosen't use .net but maybe pull down mono. To see if it adds somethign that wine is missing. YOu want to install the windows version to get it into wine. http://www.go-mono.com/mono-downloads/download.html

Materdaddy
08-30-2012, 11:32 AM
Interestingly enough, preview works under wine after 5Z where the no-image was selected, so that's why that portion didn't work for me. Sot it remains the only issue under wine appears to be the audio waveform.

JHinkle
09-01-2012, 08:36 AM
I changed from PatBlt to a vector line draw - so wine should now have audio and ruler scale.

The only place PatBlt is still used is when I show an Overlay Control - I cross hatch the effect to show an Overlay is present. Wine may not be able to see that.

Joe

Materdaddy
09-02-2012, 11:53 AM
Awesome, I think everything in HLS seems to work in wine now! Thanks Joe!

frankv
12-02-2012, 12:22 AM
Hi all,
Can someone help me with installing HLS on Ubuntu 12.04?

I've downloaded the HLS_Install_8P.zip from http://joehinkle.com/HLS/ (no sign of the .JOE file mentioned in the ReadMe file... I assume that it's just named a .ZIP now).

Extracted the files and tried to run the HLS.exe. Nothing seems to happen. Other Win software runs OK.
Tried uninstalling and re-installing wine. Tried moving HLS to drive_c/Program Files/HLS_Install_8P... also no joy :(

Frank

kingofkya
12-02-2012, 02:40 AM
Run, it via terminal and post the errors so we can figure it out.

frankv
12-02-2012, 02:08 PM
frank@lounge2:~/Downloads/HLS$ ./HLS.exe
err:module:import_dll Library WMVCore.DLL (which is needed by L"Z:\\home\\frank\\Downloads\\HLS\\HLS.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"Z:\\home\\frank\\Downloads\\HLS\\HLS.exe" failed, status c0000135
frank@lounge2:~/Downloads/HLS$

Tried a 'find' for WMVCore. I don't have it anywhere.

Tried downloading and running vcredist_x86.exe -- that seemed to run OK, but still no WMVCore.dll :(

Tried installing some likely apps (vlc, wme) using WineTricks, but still no joy :(

kingofkya
12-02-2012, 04:29 PM
Ok sounds like you dont have a sound card setup. run "winecfg" and make sure a audio card is setup.

timon
12-02-2012, 08:53 PM
Maybe I'll try wine for OSx and see how it works. I won't be moving to HLS till next year so I'll still have to use Parallels to run LOR S3 as I don't think it works under wine.

frankv
12-03-2012, 04:35 AM
OK, I now have WMVCore.DLL installed. So now I get this error message as well...

err:module:import_dll Library WMASF.DLL (which is needed by L"Z:\\home\\frank\\Downloads\\HLS\\WMVCore.DLL") not found

In the WineCFG Audio tab it says selected audio driver is winealsa.dll. When I click "Test Sound", I can hear a be-boop noise... it doesn't seem to matter which of the various Output devices I select. But also this message appears in the term:

err:ole:CoInitializeEx Attempt to change threading model of this apartment from multi-threaded to apartment threaded

vls Media Player works, again not very loud, but audibly. So I guess the audio is OK.

Finally, after installing Windows Media Player 9 it worked :)

Thanks, kingofkya