PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for making hls is it possible to add these features.

boarder3
08-28-2012, 09:09 PM
You already have outdone yourself in the little time you started with. But im sure i speak for many if you could just add these small features. You already have work groups which is a great tool but what if i want to add an effect to all the channels at once. Could you collapse the group so i could add all on for lets say 5 seconds and 10 intervals later do the same that would save ridicules amounts of time. ALso i know you have a chase tool but needs to be used in custom. The chase is used so often that and maybe its me im having a hard time making one that comes out correct length and since my chases could be 681 pixels wrong either it tells me not enough x depth. So if i want a chase really close and fast to happen i get shot down. If you could make it say hold down shift and drag diagonally that would be great. Please dont take this as an insult i love hls these features would just make it hands down the best.

JHinkle
08-29-2012, 02:05 PM
Not sure if I follow your post fully.

There are two ways to do a chase:. Custom and "Resize Group".

Using a Custom - you chase elements can be as simple or as complex as you want ... meaning chases of ramps, complex effect of ramp up then down as an example.

Once you have define a "Custom effect" - you select an area of you sequence to drop this custom effect. HLS will fill the area as a chase, randow fill, repeated period, etc.

I suspect you design and usage of the effect to make the chase is incorrect as you are getting an X related error. That says the area to create you chase in is smaller than the size of the custom effect to start with.

Option 2 for chase is nice if you just want to chase a simple effect.

Try this as an example.

select a box 3 time slots wide and 10 rows deep - then select the "Level Effect".

You now have a column of 10 effects - 3 units wide.

Select THAT COMPLETE group - by CTRL left mouse if upper left cell and then mouse clicj in lower right cell - now the total grop is selected.

Right Click on the group and select "Resize Group".

Click on lower right cell - as if to change the size of an effect.

Now as you change the size of the group --- the effects stay 3 units wide - but they are spaced for the new width - thereby creating you chase.

Left mouse click again to fix the size and the width of the chase.

Hope that helps.

Joe

boarder3
08-29-2012, 04:15 PM
Very nice thats for the help i like the resize feature. But as far as group effects and making it easier i made a video to explain you can see how efficient this is and will save loads of time.
http://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cljUY2MeY

angus40
08-29-2012, 04:28 PM
That is a handy feature , would be nice to highlight each of those colums and make the color shiift from channel 1 > to the last channel down the grid. this would allow

sequencing a color shift across an entire string or strip real quickly.

However this might be tough to code .

to achieve the above now , i create double the rgb channels that i require and drop a nutcracker effect on 1 of the rgb groups and copy and paste the effects to the other group to create my own effects.

this has been the quickest way i have found to sequence various multi color channels.

JHinkle
08-29-2012, 05:11 PM
Very nice thats for the help i like the resize feature. But as far as group effects and making it easier i made a video to explain you can see how efficient this is and will save loads of time.

You can do the same now ... not as a single collasped channel - but as a group.

Make the selection box to cover all rows - then insert effect. It is applied to all channels.

As an alternative ... I may provide a "Right Click" option to replicate the selected effect on all channels in the group.

Joe

angus40
08-29-2012, 05:46 PM
that would be awesome if your effcet goup was not time realative , group related would be ideal not sure if any sequencers can do a color shift vertical rather that time based.

I think your selection box is key , if the selection box could be set so users can ( once a selection box is created) add the effect from a library or create the effect from hls effect group and change its atributes > color ,ramp, fade, twinkle and copy all while the selection box is active and have the esc key as the release or de -active key.

i find the to chane an effect groups color and then to copy the effect user nedd to re draw the selection box multiple times this is a pita over large pixel counts .

ideally to multi task while the selection box is drawn - open would imho be the slickest feature you could add to Hls .

Richard

JHinkle
08-29-2012, 06:05 PM
that would be awesome if your effcet goup was not time realative , group related would be ideal not sure if any sequencers can do a color shift vertical rather that time based.

Not sure what you mean. I will be making verticle color shifting a reality shortly.

I think your selection box is key , if the selection box could be set so users can ( once a selection box is created) add the effect from a library or create the effect from hls effect group and change its atributes > color ,ramp, fade, twinkle and copy all while the selection box is active and have the esc key as the release or de -active key.

The way you use a custom effect is by using the selection box ... then you can also select random, chase, etc
I think I already have what you are saying.

i find the to chane an effect groups color and then to copy the effect user nedd to re draw the selection box multiple times this is a pita over large pixel counts .

If you want to copy and paste - only need to draw selection box first time to define the area copied.

To paste - you do not need to define the whole area to paste to ... just the upper left cell - then paste.

ideally to multi task while the selection box is drawn - open would imho be the slickest feature you could add to Hls .

Richard

Please see comments above.

Joe

angus40
08-29-2012, 06:23 PM
here is an anology you have a chase across 50 rgb channels , you draw selection box around it and want to change its entire color it would be nice if users could copy it at the same time as the color change .

Joe in my experience creating chase sequences that are tight together and color changing users need to have double the rgb channels required to complete this task without interfearing with the sequence group being created .

it can be dawnting to re draw the selection box after each task . creating a custom effect is a totally different issue .

Ps maybe i am just getting plain lazy lol.

boarder3
08-29-2012, 06:40 PM
I would be great since chase is probably the most used thing in most peoples show to have a dedicated is possible. I know it can be in custom if you add it properly but i need to find a video that shows that. Its just one less step we would have to do. As for the whole group are you saying if lets say i have 681 channels in my group to make a box scroll all the way down than load effect?

rfallatt
09-13-2012, 11:24 PM
Joe,
i noticed on the "Group Move/Resize" video, you note, once you select a group "don't go get coffee" because there is only one way out of the mode and you might forget your in it" Well there is a lot of real estate to the right of Preview sequence, could you have some indication of the mode your in displayed in a neat little box to the upper right or even on the footer where the file name is.

I know you don't think it is necessary but I think many people would like one more resolution "Very fine" maybe half the size of fine?

JHinkle
09-14-2012, 08:38 AM
Joe,
i noticed on the "Group Move/Resize" video, you note, once you select a group "don't go get coffee" because there is only one way out of the mode and you might forget your in it" Well there is a lot of real estate to the right of Preview sequence, could you have some indication of the mode your in displayed in a neat little box to the upper right or even on the footer where the file name is.

I know you don't think it is necessary but I think many people would like one more resolution "Very fine" maybe half the size of fine?

I do not understand.

Joe

angus40
09-14-2012, 06:38 PM
Ultra fine maybe ? Your trying to see more of the grid ?

to answer your other Question just hit the esc key to clear any mode if the coffee is that important . lmao

boarder3
09-14-2012, 09:15 PM
joe there's no way to collapses a group to apply effect without having to go all the way down the page. Some of my groups could have 1000 channels?

rfallatt
09-14-2012, 09:37 PM
Ultra fine maybe ? Your trying to see more of the grid ?

to answer your other Question just hit the esc key to clear any mode if the coffee is that important . lmao

yeah to see more grid.

sometimes you simply dont know if you are in a partial selection, so some sort of indication might be a good thing.

rfallatt
09-15-2012, 11:32 PM
got a weird issue while programming.
In the white sections, there is random color blocks only on the leading edge of a "Level" Any thoughts? No error message and I cannot modify the effect (like making it red) the single box remains the same color15364

intwoit2002
09-16-2012, 12:12 AM
I am having the same issue, but it seems to only happen in an are of cells that I have deleted and then try to add new effects. I thought I was crazy.

Al

angus40
09-16-2012, 12:12 AM
put a selection box aroud the effect , then go to effects on the tool bar and choose remove over control . see if that fixes and allows you to change the effects color .

Is this happening on a new sequence ? or an imported sequence ?

rfallatt
09-16-2012, 12:36 AM
I shut down for tonight... Will try tomorrow

This is on an imported layout.. but I have been working on it for 10 hours and its the first time it occurred and now keeps occuring

JHinkle
09-16-2012, 08:09 AM
got a weird issue while programming.
In the white sections, there is random color blocks only on the leading edge of a "Level" Any thoughts? No error message and I cannot modify the effect (like making it red) the single box remains the same color15364

Can you tell me how to duplicate this?

If I can dup it - I can see what the issue is.

Joe

JHinkle
09-16-2012, 08:09 AM
I am having the same issue, but it seems to only happen in an are of cells that I have deleted and then try to add new effects. I thought I was crazy.

Al

I tried this - can't duplicate it.

Joe

JHinkle
09-16-2012, 08:57 AM

I have an issue with collapsing channels and then allowing effects to be added - as you collapse - not all channels may be empty in the intended space - then THAT information has to be conveyed also ---

Version 6G provides vertical scroll based on HOME and END keys (I have also added Home and End to the Right Mouse click menu).

You can now quickly transverse all of you channels quickly without collapsing/hiding any of the existing effects.

Works in or out of selection mode.

Joe

Materdaddy
09-16-2012, 10:50 AM
What do you mean "collapsing channels"?

JHinkle
09-16-2012, 10:57 AM
What do you mean "collapsing channels"?

See a request in the link.

Add effects to multiple channels with the channels shown as a single channel (hence collapsing many channels into only one visible channel).

Joe

Materdaddy
09-16-2012, 12:47 PM
See a request in the link.

Add effects to multiple channels with the channels shown as a single channel (hence collapsing many channels into only one visible channel).

Joe

Oh, I get it now, you were saying you'd have a problem implementing the feature demo'd in that video because of that. Thanks for the explanation!

angus40
09-16-2012, 12:52 PM
I do not think Joe can collapse the channels any further than he has already done , the pixel plane is just about as collapsed as you can get !

If you are looking at 1000 's of rgb channels on the grid at 1 time i would expect your either creating a custom effect or editing a nutcracker effect .

If the above is true ,here is a tip .

Portion your main element work group in to smaller groups. ( mega tree or house outline etc )

Keep your work group size to 1 universe max for quickly navigating this will allow you to quickly create your custom effects . I did this and saved the effects to a library , then I could add them anywhere in the main element work group.

Cheers

JHinkle
09-16-2012, 04:52 PM

I added Home and End as stated in a previous post.

If your demo is using LSP - I can understand why you want to collapse channels.

HLS has a capability called "Pixel Plane" where all 1000 channels are represented as a single channel in the sequence editor.

Your 1000 channels that make up Pixel can have effects easily created using HLS, Nutcracker, etc - all in a single channel.

After the Holiday season, I will be adding my own Madrix/"Pixel Plane"/Nutcracker development capability --- all of which will also collapse to a single channel.

Joe

boarder3
09-16-2012, 07:08 PM
See that sounds like what i need . My problem is soon as i get my pixels in im gonna start trying to learn your software again. Maybe you guys could do a class like they do for nutcracker. Once i get good at it i will help you guys to take some of the burden of questions that will be coming when the season starts.

rfallatt
09-16-2012, 09:16 PM
I tried this - can't duplicate it.

Joe
Joe,
1. it only happens on a RGB channel
2. it happens on all my RGB channels
3. Once it started after programming 30 seconds of one song,
3.a I checked to see if it happens at the end of the song 3m20sec (Yes)
3.b I checked to see if it happens at the beginning of the song 1sec (No)
3.c I checked at 3 sec + and it happens

4. I saved the sequence layout in the library, opened a new song and loaded the sequence and put a level on a few RGB channels and the problem is not there.

Q. How do I recover or transfer the work I already did to a new file? Or any suggestions?

JHinkle
09-16-2012, 09:29 PM
Joe,
1. it only happens on a RGB channel
2. it happens on all my RGB channels
3. Once it started after programming 30 seconds of one song,
3.a I checked to see if it happens at the end of the song 3m20sec (Yes)
3.b I checked to see if it happens at the beginning of the song 1sec (No)
3.c I checked at 3 sec + and it happens

4. I saved the sequence layout in the library, opened a new song and loaded the sequence and put a level on a few RGB channels and the problem is not there.

Q. How do I recover or transfer the work I already did to a new file? Or any suggestions?

I have to be able to create it on my development system - so please be very detailed and explain how to create your concern.

Thanks.

Joe

angus40
09-16-2012, 09:37 PM
Joe , take a close look at his channel numbering in the image in post #14 .

Rgb 1-1-1

rgb 1-1-2
rgb 1-1-3 etc

it looks like an over control is getting instructed for the first time tic across all his channels .

rfallatt
09-16-2012, 09:56 PM
Joe , take a close look at his channel numbering in the image in post #14 .

Rgb 1-1-1

rgb 1-1-2
rgb 1-1-3 etc

it looks like an over control is getting instructed for the first time tic across all his channels .

its actually
RGB 1-1.1 Roof...
RGB 1-1.2 Roof...
RGB 1-1.3 Roof...
etc

angus40
09-16-2012, 10:03 PM
could you test with the channel changed to this >>>>.
RGB Roof...1-1.1
RGB Roof...1-1.2
RGB Roof...1-1.3

some one earlier was having issues also , could you try it with the channels listed as i have show to see if the issue still happens :?

rfallatt
09-16-2012, 10:09 PM
Angus... not that I saved the layout, loaded it into another song and it works fine.

angus40
09-16-2012, 10:15 PM
Curious , was this a vixen conversion ?

rfallatt
09-16-2012, 10:24 PM
Curious , was this a vixen conversion ?
No from scratch

angus40
09-16-2012, 10:29 PM
So was the channel numbering the issue ?

or is this still a ghost we are chasing ?

rfallatt
09-16-2012, 10:56 PM
So was the channel numbering the issue ?

or is this still a ghost we are chasing ?

I did not change the numbering,
All I did was save the sequence layout and start programming another song and all is good.

SIDE NOTE:
In at least version 6E, if you play the song you can pause and play with no problems, If you play from mark and pause, you can continue to hear the song but the red marks do not flow for a few seconds and when they do, they are incorrect.
Also in Version 6G, when setting the "play from mark" the #4 key will not start the song,(In fact none of the keys work) one must select the button at the top of the page.

I also noted doing ramps they are not pre programmed, I thought in older versions or at least Joe and I discussed (in modify effect and other places) pre setting the values for ramps, similar to level ie. ramp up would automatically come up (if the radio button was selected) to 0 to 100 and ramp down would be 100 to 0

rfallatt
09-17-2012, 04:51 PM
OK messing with it more I found that I can (sometimes and not often) move one selected portion over (bump an adjacent) and into another and merge them.15380

In some instances after I bump it, if I move it enough it will erase one of the ones besides it.

Saved the layout
selected my old sequencing and saved it to the library and it moved.15381

angus40
09-17-2012, 04:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7QLnSoEB4M&feature=channel&list=UL

rfallatt
09-17-2012, 05:16 PM
Also,
is there a way to move the drawing so I can get the vectors to line up again for the next song?15382

angus40
09-17-2012, 05:22 PM
try to resize hls it should auto detect and show a popup informing you of the resize

if you have opened another app like ie etc while using hls , the popup dialog box may be on the desktop behind hls

kingofkya
09-17-2012, 05:30 PM
Some times that dosen't At lest with mine when i shrink it down too small. it never returns to original spot. Always seams to move to the left(maybe just me); probably a rounding error or something simple?

JHinkle
09-17-2012, 06:15 PM
Also,
is there a way to move the drawing so I can get the vectors to line up again for the next song?15382

As long as you use the same picture - the vectors should align.

Joe

rfallatt
09-17-2012, 06:54 PM
It's the only pic I use up to now it hasn't been bad but as you can see in the picture it's really bad

Sent from Droid Incredible, using Tapatalk 2.

angus40
09-17-2012, 07:13 PM
I just tested this , uncheck preview and hls will show the grid . re check preview and image will be restored to correct alignment .

JHinkle
09-18-2012, 08:28 AM
SIDE NOTE:
In at least version 6E, if you play the song you can pause and play with no problems, If you play from mark and pause, you can continue to hear the song but the red marks do not flow for a few seconds and when they do, they are incorrect.
Also in Version 6G, when setting the "play from mark" the #4 key will not start the song,(In fact none of the keys work) one must select the button at the top of the page.

I also noted doing ramps they are not pre programmed, I thought in older versions or at least Joe and I discussed (in modify effect and other places) pre setting the values for ramps, similar to level ie. ramp up would automatically come up (if the radio button was selected) to 0 to 100 and ramp down would be 100 to 0

I had not thought anyone would use pause from "Play From Mark". Version 6H and later corrects behavior to respond as expected.

The reason your #4 key did not work was that the Sequence editor was not the window in focus. I added the keyboard commands to the other windows so they get trapped also. Again 6H or later.

I do not understand your ramp statement.

Joe

JHinkle
09-18-2012, 08:32 AM
Also,

Was this a new sequence and you brought the preview vectors from the Library?

I suspect you saved the layout with a different screen resolution or image size - thereby altering the vector positions. When you retreived the preview from the library - again - different resolution or image size thereby displacing the vectors.

I got to sleep on this one.

Any insight on exactly what you did would be of help.

Joe

rfallatt
09-18-2012, 08:46 AM
"I also noted doing ramps they are not pre programmed, I thought in older versions or at least Joe and I discussed (in modify effect and other places) pre setting the values for ramps, similar to level ie. ramp up would automatically come up (if the radio button was selected) to 0 to 100 and ramp down would be 100 to 0"

I do not understand your ramp statement.
Joe

I apologize, to be clear, I was referring to a situation where a user is "modifying an effect" (this may apply in other places also.
I find myself modifying often if your selecting a Ramp Up (the current default is 0 0), Ramp Down (0,0), Also noted in preparing this the Level (Default is 0)
This could be changed to Ramp Up (0,100), Ramp Down (100,0) and Level (100)

Having these being the default would make things go quicker and just tidy it up.

rfallatt
09-18-2012, 08:55 AM
Was this a new sequence and you brought the preview vectors from the Library?
Yes it was

I suspect you saved the layout with a different screen resolution or image size - thereby altering the vector positions. When you retreived the preview from the library - again - different resolution or image size thereby displacing the vectors.

I got to sleep on this one.

Any insight on exactly what you did would be of help.

Joe

I know that I did move (make it larger) the left side where the channels are indicated (left pane). I got the message that it noted a change in the preview resolution and was reprocessing the vectors. They just did not line up.

Question Can you have the display preview as a popup window so that users can program/sequence in one window (screen) and see the display in the other window (screen). this would allow users to toggle between the preview and sequence grid for modifications.

JHinkle
09-18-2012, 10:01 AM
"I also noted doing ramps they are not pre programmed, I thought in older versions or at least Joe and I discussed (in modify effect and other places) pre setting the values for ramps, similar to level ie. ramp up would automatically come up (if the radio button was selected) to 0 to 100 and ramp down would be 100 to 0"

I apologize, to be clear, I was referring to a situation where a user is "modifying an effect" (this may apply in other places also.
I find myself modifying often if your selecting a Ramp Up (the current default is 0 0), Ramp Down (0,0), Also noted in preparing this the Level (Default is 0)
This could be changed to Ramp Up (0,100), Ramp Down (100,0) and Level (100)

Having these being the default would make things go quicker and just tidy it up.

The default values are as you requested.

Did you change them using the "Default Menu" process.

Again - I don't understand .... if you did not change them, Ramp UP/DOWN defaults are set properly.

Joe

JHinkle
09-18-2012, 10:02 AM
Yes it was

I know that I did move (make it larger) the left side where the channels are indicated (left pane). I got the message that it noted a change in the preview resolution and was reprocessing the vectors. They just did not line up.

Question Can you have the display preview as a popup window so that users can program/sequence in one window (screen) and see the display in the other window (screen). this would allow users to toggle between the preview and sequence grid for modifications.

Version 6H has a new capability under Preview ... the ability to realign Preview Vectors with the Image.

Joe

rfallatt
09-18-2012, 10:22 AM
The default values are as you requested.

Did you change them using the "Default Menu" process.

Again - I don't understand .... if you did not change them, Ramp UP/DOWN defaults are set properly.

Joe

I did not change them.
When I select Default, Ramp Up I get: (Start Value 0, End Value 100) [note I changed it to (0,50) and clicked ok and when I opened it again it was the same 50]
When I select Default, Ramp Down I get: (Start Value 100, End Value 0)
When I select Default, Level Intensity I get the (Level Intensity 0) [note I changed it to 100 and clicked ok and when I opened it again it was 0]
But
When I select an effect in the sequence (such as a 5 length Level effect), right click, "modify this effect", Click Ramp Up the values in the boxes are I get: (Start Value 0, End Value 0)
the Same is true for Ramp Down and Level.

rfallatt
09-18-2012, 10:27 AM
Version 6H has a new capability under Preview ... the ability to realign Preview Vectors with the Image.

Joe

OMG... That's the BOMB!
Thanks...

Any thoughts on "Question Can you have the display preview as a popup window so that users can program/sequence in one window (screen) and see the display in the other window (screen). this would allow users to toggle between the preview and sequence grid for modifications."

JHinkle
09-18-2012, 10:30 AM
I did not change them.
When I select Default, Ramp Up I get: (Start Value 0, End Value 100) [note I changed it to (0,50) and clicked ok and when I opened it again it was the same 50]
When I select Default, Ramp Down I get: (Start Value 100, End Value 0)
When I select Default, Level Intensity I get the (Level Intensity 0) [note I changed it to 100 and clicked ok and when I opened it again it was 0]
But
When I select an effect in the sequence (such as a 5 length Level effect), right click, "modify this effect", Click Ramp Up the values in the boxes are I get: (Start Value 0, End Value 0)
the Same is true for Ramp Down and Level.

Now I understand your request ... see next release soon.

Joe

boarder3
09-18-2012, 02:35 PM

Joe
I wish i knew what that meant

rfallatt
09-18-2012, 02:52 PM
I wish i knew what that meant
Actually works really well
when you preview your image (display Preview) and the vectors are not aligned, you simply click on the "Preview" drop down, Click "Fix Vector Alignment with image" and 1st popup will tell you that your about to move all vectors, Hit Yes, 2nd popup tells you that you will need to select a point to move, 3rd popup tells you you will need to clisk on the spot you want to move it to.

rfallatt
09-18-2012, 09:29 PM
Joe,
I would like to copy a Group and/or at least rename it. is that an option?

angus40
09-18-2012, 09:41 PM
create a new group with the same channels checked as work and give it a new name ?

rfallatt
09-18-2012, 10:02 PM
create a new group with the same channels checked as work and give it a new name ?

Not to be a smart Alec, but that's just creating a new group. I want to not go through the steps of clicking all the channels .

angus40
09-18-2012, 10:15 PM
there is a couple of ways to do what you are asking , you dont need to click all boxes if your channels are in a straight un broken row just click on the first and drag to the last and hit the put check button.

or use the modify to mirror it with a new name .

Cheers

rfallatt
09-18-2012, 10:50 PM
OK messing with it more I found that I can (sometimes and not often) move one selected portion over (bump an adjacent) and into another and merge them.15380

In some instances after I bump it, if I move it enough it will erase one of the ones besides it.

Saved the layout
selected my old sequencing and saved it to the library and it moved.15381

I was able to replicate it and under a situation where i know what I did.

1. I set a large effect (Details are as follows: Level 100, length ~160 ) down a 10 RGB channel section.
2. I attempted to do an over control from Blue to Red (No intensity ramp, just color shift)
2.a The result was that it only went from blue to purple
3. I attempted to do different color shifts and different ramps to see if what the problem was. (at a minimum 20 different color, level and ramp settings)

4. I decided to attempt to do a smaller color shift, thinking there was a limit to the length.
5. I set a large "Level" effect (Details: level 100, length 42, down 120 channels)
6. I did an over control from blue to Red as in #2 above
6.a The result was correct (see picture)
6.b I selected the entire effect and copied it.

7. I pasted the copied effect next to the the one produced in #5-6
8. I selected the 2nd effect (#7) and attempted to "mirror horizontally" thinking i could have the color go from red to blue. It did not work and nothing appeared to happen
9. I deleted the effect made in #7

10. I copied the effect produced in #5-6
11. I moved/shifted the first channel from #5-6 to the right edge of the effect I just made, so I could see how far the effect would reach. I left it there. (shown in picture)
12. I then pasted the copied effect to the right of the moved effect in #11
13. I moved the first channel from #5-6 back to the position above the rest of the channels made in #5-6

14. I selected the area between effect made in #5-6 and #7
15. I set a large "Level" effect (Details: level 100, length 42, down 120 channels) (I am not sure the blue was there before the over control, but I noticed it after the over control)
16. I did an over control from Red to Blue
16.a The result was correct except there was one blue block on the first time block of the effect (I did not take a picture of this)
16.b I deleted the effect and made a new level in between effect made in #5-6 and #7 to show the Bug more apparently (see picture)

17. I When I went to apply an over control to it again, it applied it correctly so I thought I fixed it
18. But in other portions you can see the bug is still there, note the red sections and where it goes below a certain point it is blue.

19. I selected the entire area (white effect at 16.5 or first white area) and selected "Remove over control ramp" and the problem remains

20. I selected the entire area (time 0 to End, All the RGB Channels ~120) and selected "Remove over control ramp" and the first time color problem appeared to go away (all colors that had over control went white)

21. I went back and selected the area from #5-6 and applied an over control Blue to Red and the first time color came back and was applied to all effects going forward (Note not the ones previous to the new over control)

rfallatt
09-18-2012, 10:57 PM
there is a couple of ways to do what you are asking , you dont need to click all boxes if your channels are in a straight un broken row just click on the first and drag to the last and hit the put check button.

or use the modify to mirror it with a new name .

Cheers

My channels are not in a unbroken row
What do you mean by "use the modify to mirror it with a new name"
if what you are saying is to
1. Go to "Select channels and assign to group"
2. I picked a "work channel work group"
3. I clicked "modify list"
4. I attempted to change the name and save channels and it will not let me modify the name

rfallatt
09-18-2012, 11:07 PM
On another note, I wanted to delete the work I did tonight and revert back to yesterday's work before the Over control issue came up, which files can/should I delete?

angus40
09-18-2012, 11:23 PM
i dont understand what issue your having , i have 3 work groups with the same channels but different names.

just select the one to mirror and press new.

angus40
09-18-2012, 11:29 PM

1. I set a large effect (Details are as follows: Level 100, length ~160 ) down a 10 RGB channel section.
2. I attempted to do an over control from Blue to Red (No intensity ramp, just color shift)
3. I attempted to do different color shifts and different ramps to see if what the problem was. (at a minimum 20 different color, level and ramp settings)

4. I decided to attempt to do a smaller color shift, thinking there was a limit to the length.
5. I set a large "Level" effect (Details: level 100, length 42, down 120 channels)

8. I selected the 2nd effect (#7) and attempted to "mirror horizontally" thinking i could have the color go from red to blue. It did not work and nothing appeared to happen

11. I moved/shifted the first channel from #5-6 to the right edge of the effect I just made, so I could see how far the effect would reach. I left it there. (shown in picture)
13. I moved the first channel from #5-6 back to the position above the rest of the channels made in #5-6

15. I set a large "Level" effect (Details: level 100, length 42, down 120 channels) (I am not sure the blue was there before the over control, but I noticed it after the over control)
16.a The result was correct except there was one blue block on the first time block of the effect (I did not take a picture of this)
16.b I deleted the effect and made a new level in between effect made in #5-6 and #7 to show the Bug more apparently (see picture)

17. I When I went to apply an over control to it again, it applied it correctly so I thought I fixed it
18. But in other portions you can see the bug is still there, note the red sections and where it goes below a certain point it is blue.

19. I selected the entire area (white effect at 16.5 or first white area) and selected "Remove over control ramp" and the problem remains

20. I selected the entire area (time 0 to End, All the RGB Channels ~120) and selected "Remove over control ramp" and the first time color problem appeared to go away (all colors that had over control went white)

21. I went back and selected the area from #5-6 and applied an over control Blue to Red and the first time color came back and was applied to all effects going forward (Note not the ones previous to the new over control)

this sounds complicated .

once you apply an over control i would leave the effet alone . it sounds like your trying to modify a modified effect .

create the next effect do your mirror vertical or horizontal and then apply your over control effect . works like a charm.

rfallatt
09-18-2012, 11:42 PM
Ok I got it...
1. first display the group by "Select the group to work on"
2. then Go to "Select channels and assign to group"
2. On the "work channel work group" window, I one click on a group and click "New"
3. that will open a group up to name it a different name.
4. Click save. IMPORTANT NOTE, when at the main screen Click Save Again to save the entire program or the channels in that group will be blank!

rfallatt
09-18-2012, 11:43 PM
this sounds complicated .

once you apply an over control i would leave the effet alone . it sounds like your trying to modify a modified effect .

create the next effect do your mirror vertical or horizontal and then apply your over control effect . works like a charm.
OK now that the damage is done, what do I do?
I can work with this file, but I can NEVER do an over control for the rest of the song.

angus40
09-18-2012, 11:44 PM
:) yes, that is the quickest way .

JHinkle
09-19-2012, 01:25 AM
OK now that the damage is done, what do I do?
I can work with this file, but I can NEVER do an over control for the rest of the song.

If you have been saving your sequence - go into the folder and you will find all of the saved versions - they are date stamped.

Change the current HLS file to say ---- a .HLS.Saved --- then take the saved copy ---- remove the extension on the file name to lease just the .HLS.

Now run HLS - and chose the renamed file --- you have now warped back in time and have your pre-played sequence ready to be worked on.

Joe

BrianJ
09-19-2012, 08:55 AM

Joe,
I have this happen a lot as well, I know it has something to do with the over control but it is defiantly a bug in the software. The first block color change happens on any additional effects you put in the sequence further down the timeline. The effects can have blank space between them or be next to each other. Even if something is done wrong with the overcontrol? the change should not effect additional effects in the sequence. If you would like I can upload a sequence and music so you can see what I am talking about

rfallatt
09-19-2012, 09:09 AM
Brian,
What do you do when you get this Bug? Do you revert back to an older version or just not apply an over control for the rest of the song?

BrianJ
09-19-2012, 02:12 PM
It is not just this version, I have had this issue for a while. I have saved everything up to the bad point as an effect and copied it to a new sequence. It is annoying and doesn't make sense why it happens.

angus40
09-19-2012, 02:30 PM
There is nothing stopping you from having multiple versions of hls . just create a folder named for each version .

to use a specified version , run the .exe from within the hls folder for that particular version .

I am using 5n for this year as i do not have any pixel net devices any release after 5n is not relevent for my use this year .

I know your getting worried about crunch time and having a stable show .

I know that version 5n is stable except for 1 glitch , do not click the blank space below the grid .

Hope this helps relieve your worries for stability .

Richard

rfallatt
09-19-2012, 03:05 PM
It is not just this version, I have had this issue for a while. I have saved everything up to the bad point as an effect and copied it to a new sequence. It is annoying and doesn't make sense why it happens.
It appears that one could work around the problem by doing an over control on each effect following the Bug.

There are to many good features to not use the current version. I have not hooked it up to lights yet, I hope it doesn't effect the output. (now I'm worried...lol)

rfallatt
09-20-2012, 08:55 AM
It appears that one could work around the problem by doing an over control on each effect following the Bug.

There are to many good features to not use the current version. I have not hooked it up to lights yet, I hope it doesn't effect the output. (now I'm worried...lol)

Or of course NEVER using the Over Control (A shame)

JHinkle
09-20-2012, 01:33 PM
Version 6J fixes the OverControl bug.

No changes to your sequence is required.

Joe

JHinkle
09-20-2012, 01:43 PM
Any thoughts on "Question Can you have the display preview as a popup window so that users can program/sequence in one window (screen) and see the display in the other window (screen). this would allow users to toggle between the preview and sequence grid for modifications."

I made the decision very early in the development process to NOT allow multiple screens.

Windows is not a real-time OS.

When you are playing your song - Windows can not keep up drawing each frame of the Preview screen.

Drawing is SLOW!!!

If I allowed what you requested - the visual performance of the system would be hindered.

Joe

rfallatt
09-20-2012, 02:45 PM
Version 6J fixes the OverControl bug.

No changes to your sequence is required.

Joe

Not only FAST, but GOOD!

Thanks Joe!

kingofkya
09-20-2012, 06:31 PM
You could probably do it with openGL or directX library. But probably not worth the effort. Performance wise he is right mine hesitates just changing the sound wave grafe at the top to the next page.(in preview mode)

I made the decision very early in the development process to NOT allow multiple screens.

Windows is not a real-time OS.

When you are playing your song - Windows can not keep up drawing each frame of the Preview screen.

Drawing is SLOW!!!

If I allowed what you requested - the visual performance of the system would be hindered.

Joe

Materdaddy
09-20-2012, 06:55 PM
You could probably do it with openGL or directX library. But probably not worth the effort. Performance wise he is right mine hesitates just changing the sound wave grafe at the top to the next page.(in preview mode)

This would break it's ability to be run in wine in linux.