PDA

View Full Version : Vixen conversion-Preview and profile questions

trcons
08-28-2012, 12:40 PM
First let me say thank you for providing this software to all of us. I am converting over some of my vixen sequences from last year. I have 864 channels, 250 or so are rgb pixels. The conversion tool hung when I tried to convert them all at once, but when I converted them element by element (largest being a strinng of 100) it worked fine. I saved those conversion files, and used that to convert my other sequences. When I was done, I built up the preview which took quite a bit of time. All of my sequences use the same channel layout, and they have all been converted with the same files to hls. Is there anyway to use the preview I built for the first converted sequence in the rest of my converted sequences, or do I have to build one for each converted sequence?

Tom

JHinkle
08-28-2012, 01:18 PM
Saving the Preview is part of saving the layout via a Library capability.

There are some videos that demonstarate that.

Agnus has made sone nice videios also.

Joe

trcons
08-28-2012, 01:26 PM
I understand that part. If I use the saved layout, I can create a new sequence with that preview/layout. If I try to use that on the converted vixen sequences both before, or after I convert the rgb to single channel nothing happens. The channels remain 3 each, and the preview has not bmp and no channels mapped.

Tom

JHinkle
08-28-2012, 07:03 PM
Check the conversion video.

I can't remember exactly but many have converted multiple Vixen sequences with no issue - I don't think your process is correct.

If I recall - new sequence ... load layout from library first. Then load and convert Vixen file. Lastly convert single channels into RGB.

First one takes a while and requires much detailed work as you are defining everything in HLS. Once complete --- second, third, etc Vixen conversion goes easliy.

Hope that helps.

I think a lot of this was posted in a Vixen video.

Joe

trcons
08-28-2012, 11:09 PM
I hope one of those guys chimes in. I can get the files to convert, and get them to accept the saved vixen channel layout. The new sequence does not contain the preview image, mapped preview channels or the work groups from the first saved channel layout. I am not sure if it is supposed to or not. I tried converting them again in several different orders, but it says I can not use the convert the vixen sequence after I have layed in the saved vixen channel layout because I would erase my data. So the only orders I can use are 1. wave file 2. vixen conversion 3. load a channel layout-new sequence, or load saved vixen conversion into this sequence. My library does not contain the conversion file of the vixen sequence, and I don't know how to put it in the library.

Thanks,
Tom

angus40
08-29-2012, 01:14 AM
once you have converted your vixen sequence to hls and then converted your single channels to rgb channels .

I assume you have created work groups added a bit map image and painted all your elements in the preview editor .

If this is the case and every thing meets your needs at this point . create a library and name it something like LAYOUT .

then you can choose to add your layout to a library for use in your next song/sequence .

i have a video on vimeo that covers how to save your sequence layout for future use .

https://vimeo.com/46311549

hope this helps .

JHinkle
08-29-2012, 01:46 PM
I had asked a fellow forum user, who has done multiple conversions, to post and state how he does it.

It's been a while for him, so I will run the process myself and post the process.

By your posts, I think you have some of the steps out of order.

I am traveling to key West today and tomorrow, so I will inverstigate Friday - posting either later Friday or over the weekend.

Joe

trcons
08-29-2012, 02:15 PM
Thanks Joe,

I'm sure I am doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what it is. I watched the video over again, but it does not talk about bringing the channel layout/preview into a converted sequence. I am still pluggin away at it, and worse case I can just build a new preview for each converted sequence.

Tom

JHinkle
08-29-2012, 02:41 PM
Sorry - some statements of my previous posts were in error.

I was mixing Vixen conversion and new HLS.

First Vixen conversion ... complete RGB conversion (save/update all RGB conversions) --- then save layout to library

When wanting to load second vixen file.

1. Load song.
2. Load/ convert Vixen file.
3. Convert Vixen 3 single channels into RGB via your previously saved conversion file.
4. Library - "Load Saved Vixen Conversion into this sequence"

Step 4 ... it compares channel names in the Library layout to channel names in your sequence.

When channel name matches - Universe Number, Channel Number and Preview Vectors are taken from the Library and made active in the appropriate channel.

I think that is what you are looking for.

Make sure you have saved your RGB conversions --- you don't want the RGB channel names to be different or the data won't be moved.

I think that is right - let me know.

Joe

trcons
09-03-2012, 10:12 PM
I tried off and on this weekend to get this to work using the steps you described. My conversion from vixen is not turning out the same as the original. The rgb channels are seperate blue green red Gece pixels. After conversion there are some random colors and fades added. The rbg conversion seems to go ok, but after I add the saved vixen profile from the library make a work group including all channels and hit play I don't have the original picture displayed or see any of the channels that I have drawn. If I use the same channel layout instead on loading it as a saved vixen conversion, it works just fine. If the ability exists to copy and paste from 2 different sequences I could work with that. Also on an unrelated note, would it be possible to save the work groups in the channel layout since most people are going to use the same ones sequence to sequence?

Thanks for all the help, and sorry to be such a pain,
Tom

JHinkle
09-04-2012, 12:34 AM
I tried off and on this weekend to get this to work using the steps you described. My conversion from vixen is not turning out the same as the original. The rgb channels are seperate blue green red Gece pixels.

Let's take this step by step. There are multiple steps required. First step is the Vixen conversion - giving you separate Red, Green, and Blue channels because that is what you had in Vixen. What HLS attempts to do is to create HLS type effects - which are multi-time cells of levels, Ramp-Up, and Ramp-Down - again - separate channels for each color.

After conversion there are some random colors and fades added.

This statement does not make sence because it suggests RGB conversion has not taken place yet.

What do you mean by random colors and fades?

Be advised - Windows (and native languages) take RGB as R being the lower byte of the 24 bit color and Blue being the bits 16 to 23. I suspect it is DOT NET and not Vixen - but Vixen exports color information backwards - so I have to convert Vixen color to RGB.

The rbg conversion seems to go ok,

RGB conversion, from a saved RGB conversion file, operates on channel names - only if they match are the channels converted.

but after I add the saved vixen profile from the library make a work group including all channels and hit play I don't have the original picture displayed or see any of the channels that I have drawn.

What was saved to the Library was suppose to be what you have at this point. You you saved it earlier in the process - then it does not work properly. Open the Library file (its an XML file) and look at what was saved to see where in the process you saved it.

If I use the same channel layout instead on loading it as a saved vixen conversion, it works just fine.

Don't understand this statement.

If the ability exists to copy and paste from 2 different sequences I could work with that. Also on an unrelated note, would it be possible to save the work groups in the channel layout since most people are going to use the same ones sequence to sequence?

Currently I don't save Work Groups to the Library because they are used to make sequencing easier - you eat an elephant using little bits instead of one big byte. What I save and is transferred for the Vixen conversion - I move the Preview Vectors from the Library into your completed (both the Vixen conversion and RGB conversion) - so you don't have to redraw the Preview each time - that's all that comes from the Library.

I hope you are not attempting to bring a "Layout" over - since that is only for starting a brand new HLS sequence - NOT update your converted sequence with Preview Vectors.

Thanks for all the help, and sorry to be such a pain,
Tom

I hope my explanation above helps.

Let me know how thing go.

Joe

trcons
09-04-2012, 11:31 PM
Well I think I know what I am doin wrong, but I don't know how to save the vixen conversion in the library. I think I have just been saving the channel layout after the conversion. What I was saying on the random color/fades is that in vixen I have several chases across 100 pixels they were made by fading each pixels down from 100% to 0. One after another same color on every pixel. After conversion to hls a few of these pixels/channels are in the wrong color. I can easily fix that by copy/paste and shift it over a couple of tics. I am not complaining, just wanted to point it out incase it was important to the discussion. I have been loading the audio file, converting from vixen to hls converting to rgb, saving what must just be the channel group to the library. I then close hls, open a new sequence with the same song with the channel layout I created with the preview and an addition 2000 channels. I go to library and click load saved vixen conversion, and click on the file I saved. Which is not apparently a vixen conversion. So I guess what I am asking is how to save a vixen conversion to the library?

Thanks for your patience,
Tom

JHinkle
09-04-2012, 11:49 PM
Well I think I know what I am doin wrong, but I don't know how to save the vixen conversion in the library. I think I have just been saving the channel layout after the conversion. What I was saying on the random color/fades is that in vixen I have several chases across 100 pixels they were made by fading each pixels down from 100% to 0. One after another same color on every pixel. After conversion to hls a few of these pixels/channels are in the wrong color. I can easily fix that by copy/paste and shift it over a couple of tics. I am not complaining, just wanted to point it out incase it was important to the discussion. I have been loading the audio file, converting from vixen to hls converting to rgb, saving what must just be the channel group to the library. I then close hls, open a new sequence with the same song with the channel layout I created with the preview and an addition 2000 channels.

This is were you go wrong.

Once you have saved the layout - it is no longer Vixen - so in the next sentance when you start a NEW sequence - you want to load a Layout - NOT a Vixen Preview import.

I go to library and click load saved vixen conversion, and click on the file I saved. Which is not apparently a vixen conversion.

The Part three (load the Vixen Preview vectors is only used when you have done a Vixen conversion and now want to add the Preview vectors from a previous layout.

So I guess what I am asking is how to save a vixen conversion to the library?

Thanks for your patience,
Tom

When you start a NEW HLS sequence (not a Vixen import conversion) - you can load the layout from the library. That will bring in all of the channels and preview vectors associated with a previous saved sequence - no matter if that previous saved layout is from an original HLS sequence or a Vixen conversion.

Joe

angus40
09-05-2012, 12:18 AM
hmmmm.

Joe , did I hear you correctly ? Did you mention work groups and save in the same sentence ?

That is an excellent idea Joe , will you implement this in the next release ?

lmao .

Ps did not intend to jack this thread . < hint hint > just sayin .

JHinkle
09-05-2012, 10:55 AM
Version 6E now saves Work Groups to the Layout and can be loaded with a New HLS sequence or updating a newly converted Vixen sequence.

Joe

angus40
09-05-2012, 10:18 PM
Version 6E now saves Work Groups to the Layout and can be loaded with a New HLS sequence or updating a newly converted Vixen sequence.

Joe

At this rate of updates and fixes Joe , Hls will be self sequencing if you keep this up .

Users will just need to add a .wav ,a beat track and configure channels and hls will auto fill the sequence grid . lol .

Thanks very much for this Joe you have just saved every user valuable time after the initial sequence layout is configured.

trcons
09-26-2012, 09:42 PM
Ok, I still am not getting this. I may be asking hls to do something that is not possible, so I will try to explain what I am trying to do. I converted 1 vixen sequence over to hls did the auto rgb to my pixels. I then added all my new stuff for this year, and saved that as a channel layout called 2012 (clever, I know) in a library called Layout. I converted my next vixen sequence and did the auto rgb tool to the pixels in that sequence, but I don't want to have to add all my new stuff for this year into each of my converted vixen sequences. I can't figure out how to get my saved channel layout and preview into the newly converted sequences. If it is possible, please let me know how to do it. If not here's one vote for a new feature.

Thanks for your hard work,
Tom

angus40
09-27-2012, 01:21 AM
create new sequence . add audio , insert layout ( your case 2012 ) then load saved vixen conversion into this sequence ?

trcons
09-27-2012, 05:39 AM
That Does not work, because that option is now gone in 6L. The only option is Load Channel layout new sequence.

angus40
09-27-2012, 05:55 AM
could you save the entire new vixen conversion to a library as an effect , then open your 2012 new sequence and a workgroup that supports all the channels of your saved effect-vixen conversion and insert the effect into that work group ?

You may need to adjust your channel order in your workgroup so it supports the effect on the grid .

Al ( intwoit2002 ) has converted all his vixen sequences to hls. i believe it was a great amout of work for him also.

I use the library a lot as its a quick way to get big effect groups shared easily.

This is how i would do attempt to do what your asking.

JHinkle
09-27-2012, 06:16 AM
Ok, I still am not getting this. I may be asking hls to do something that is not possible, so I will try to explain what I am trying to do. I converted 1 vixen sequence over to hls did the auto rgb to my pixels. I then added all my new stuff for this year, and saved that as a channel layout called 2012 (clever, I know) in a library called Layout. I converted my next vixen sequence and did the auto rgb tool to the pixels in that sequence, but I don't want to have to add all my new stuff for this year into each of my converted vixen sequences. I can't figure out how to get my saved channel layout and preview into the newly converted sequences. If it is possible, please let me know how to do it. If not here's one vote for a new feature.

Tom

Your going to test this for me since you are the first since I made the change. I don't have any Vixen sequences - hence I need your feedback.

New Vixen sequence ...

Load Audio.

Load Vixen sequence.

Perform single channel to RGB channel conversion.

Save HLS and exit.

Restart HLS - check "Manage Channels" and make sure the channels look correct - RGB correct, name correct, etc. The rest of the process depends on matching channel names.

Load Layout from Library.

The load process will detect that you already have channels in place (like from a Vixen conversion). It will ask if you want to add any channels to the sequence that are found in the saved layout but NOT in your sequence. (This allows you to update old sequences after new channels/hardware has been added - in the years to come).

You should answer NO at this time - since the only channels you are interested in are the Vixen channels.

HLS should then match channel names from the Library Layout .... moving Preview Vectors, Dimming Curves, and Groups into your sequence.

Your sequence should now match the one you originally saved in the layout with the exception of effects.

If that is not the case .... Please PM me so I can acquire your data and debug.

Thanks.

Joe

JHinkle
09-27-2012, 06:42 AM

Tom

In the post above I stated to respond NO when performing the Layout import.

I did not pick up on your statement that you added NEW information this year that you also wanted imported.

Therefore - answer YES. HLS will then match channel names as it scans the Library's saved layout. Any channel in the layout but NOT in the sequence - will be added to the sequence - along with Preview Vectors, etc.

If the results is not what you expected ... make sure the layout saved is correct. Try loading your "Good" sequence - make a new test Library, save the layout, and load that layout.

As always - make sure you save your sequence multiple times in case you/me made a mistake and you have to backup.

Again - if results are not what you expect - PM me.

Joe

trcons
09-27-2012, 11:20 PM
Works great. Thanks for all your help.

jsheehan3
10-22-2012, 12:25 AM
dont know what I am doing wrong, but its adding a duplicate set of channels with the preview. No name changes have been made

jsheehan3
10-22-2012, 12:27 AM
by the way, no prompts appear when i bring in the channel layout

DanHouston
11-04-2012, 03:33 PM
dont know what I am doing wrong, but its adding a duplicate set of channels with the preview. No name changes have been made

I've been working with this and it looks like as part of the preview there is some channel name generation that takes place (the names in the preview do not match the names in manage raw channels view). I'm not sure how they got to be different, but the ones in the library I have all start with 1__ and the ones in the sequence before I try to apply the channel layout all start 0__. I made the assumption that it might be related to the universe number since it looks like the channels all come in as part of the vixen import in universe 0, but that is purely speculation.

As another test I added the layout of the current sequence to a library and then said to load it. When I do that it appears to work like Joe described above, including prompting me about other channels.

I'm going to conduct a clean test, since I know this first sequence and library were done in a different version of HLS than I am currently running.

DanHouston
11-04-2012, 03:52 PM
Yeah...same problem. You end up with your channels from the import having a 0__ and the channels brought in from the library have a 1__. They only show with these names in the edit preview view so I'm not sure how they are calculated or generated. I'm going to record a video and post it shortly.

DanHouston
11-04-2012, 04:02 PM
Of course....throw camstudio on it an it works. Perhaps I'll just record them all. :)

DanHouston
11-04-2012, 04:53 PM
So the 0__ changes to 1__ as you draw things on the preview. So unlikely that is the issue. I'm going to link in two videos one where it works and one where it does not. It took me a while to find the very subtle difference between the two....It turns out to be adding channels to a work group. Attached is a video that shows it fail and work on the same sequence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LFNgvMAGS4

I have two other videos that are more in-depth that show a failure and a success and as I watched them the only difference was adding channels to a work group in one and not the other.

JHinkle
11-04-2012, 05:42 PM
The 0_ and 1_ denote what Background Image it is associated with.

You can have up to 10 different images.

Joe

DanHouston
11-04-2012, 10:07 PM
Yeah....I noticed the number changing as I drew, but what about having to assign the channels to a work group before pulling it in from the library? Is that the expected procedure?

JHinkle
11-05-2012, 09:50 AM
The Display Group has nothing to do with retrieving channels from the Library.

If you want to see the channel, either in the Editor or in Preview, then that channel must be in the visible Display Group to be painted.

Joe

DanHouston
11-05-2012, 11:03 AM
All I am saying is it does not seem to work (applying the layout from the library) unless you put the channels into a work group. The video lays it out pretty well I think, but perhaps it is still unclear.

JHinkle
11-05-2012, 11:53 AM
It is unclear what you are trying to do.

Joe

DanHouston
11-05-2012, 01:06 PM
It is unclear what you are trying to do.

Joe

Converting Vixen to HLS and then applying the layout and channel order from the library. Following the directions you have in post #21 do not work. The Video I posted in #29 show that if you do not add the channels to a work group then it just adds all of the channels from the library rather than matching them by name.

JHinkle
11-05-2012, 01:38 PM
Importing from the Library has nothing to do with a Display Group.

If you elect to ADD from the Library - the channels that are NOT added are found by name matching.

If you elect to ONLY Update your existing channels - those al also only done by name matching.

Joe

DanHouston
11-05-2012, 02:17 PM
Importing from the Library has nothing to do with a Display Group.

If you elect to ADD from the Library - the channels that are NOT added are found by name matching.

If you elect to ONLY Update your existing channels - those al also only done by name matching.

Joe

I guess I am doing a bad job of explaining it. I realize they should not be related, but if you watch the video you'll see that if I apply the channel layout and preview to a Vixen imported sequence it will not work, but if I add all the channels to a workgroup then it will work.

I jumped in this thread to try and help the original poster, and that's when I noticed a similar behavior. I'd be happy if this is just me doing something incorrect, but if I follow your steps in post #21 it does not work. If I add a step of adding all of the channels to a workgroup then it will behave as you describe (detecting channels are already there, warning you to complete RGB conversion, and ask if you want to add other channels).

Again, I was just trying to help the original poster and noticed a similar behavior and then found a way to make it happen and a way to make it work.

It might be easier to do some sort of chat session or screen sharing since I am guessing the video I posted it not demonstrating the problem clearly enough.

Thanks,
Dan

JHinkle
11-05-2012, 08:51 PM
Dan finally got through my thick skull - Version 7X now does what it was always intended to do.

Joe

szaske
11-08-2012, 05:05 PM
I guess I am doing a bad job of explaining it.

Dan your video made it VERY clear. I think Joe is just too busy to even watch your video. But he has already responded so perhaps he figured out what is going wrong.

I for one greatly appreciate your video because I've been having problems getting the conversion to work...and I hope this is my problem. With my conversions when I try to import the layout I get double the channels and it also seems to lose all my effects/data. That is not good.

-=Steve

JHinkle
11-08-2012, 11:50 PM
Dan your video made it VERY clear. I think Joe is just too busy to even watch your video. But he has already responded so perhaps he figured out what is going wrong.

I for one greatly appreciate your video because I've been having problems getting the conversion to work...and I hope this is my problem. With my conversions when I try to import the layout I get double the channels and it also seems to lose all my effects/data. That is not good.

-=Steve

Steve - I guess you missed my post just preceding yours ... it says the issue was fixed with version 7X - released 11/05.

Joe