PDA

View Full Version : What should i work on next in Nutcracker?

smeighan
08-24-2012, 12:19 PM
This poll will help me decide demand for each of these features. It is my feeling (unconfirmed by data) that single string effects will be the feature most desired.

A single string means connecting multiple rgb strings together and have nutcracker treat the whole as one large string.

For example you would say 4 strings of 50. I will treat that as 1 string of 200 pixels.

budude
08-24-2012, 12:34 PM
1-3-4-2 in that order...

Materdaddy
08-24-2012, 12:36 PM
I would like to see #1 and add on some sort of custom target generator software. In addition to the proposed single string effects, it might be useful to have some sort of software to easily generate custom targets for custom configurations. For instance, I want to use nutcracker on my roofline/windows. If I could get a 3d model of it, I could use things to make awesome looking sweeps across the house.

My roofline is farily square depending on what angle I'm trying to generate the targets at. I imagine many people have peaks they might want to incorporate into their targets rather than simply "straight lines".

I know I've posted/PMed you about the custom target, I've just been really busy with non-Christmas stuff to get back to you with more than 5 minutes at a time.

Materdaddy
08-24-2012, 12:37 PM
Also, I can work on #4 at least for linux support. Now that your code is on GitHub, I'll fork it, make a pull request and you can simply review and merge in the changes.

Skunberg
08-24-2012, 01:04 PM
#1 was a easy choice. I don't use a PC that will run LSP so throw that one out.
The other three were a hard choice for me. But I picked text over the whole song.
I'm glad to see your recently added effects are simpler more traditional megatree type.

Brian

Daryl Hurd
08-24-2012, 01:55 PM
I was thinking the other day.. Would you want to move support of nutcracker to a dedicated website? www.rgbnutcracker.com or .org are free and I would be willing to setup a Wordpress site along with support forum so that we could consolidate all the support/questions into one site.. It would be fairly inexpensive to run each month.. $10 or less a month for the server cost and dns fee.
I would be willing to do the setup of the site and get it all going for you if you would want..
-Daryl

tjetzer
08-24-2012, 02:15 PM
1-3-4-2 in that order...

x2

maffeirw
08-24-2012, 02:24 PM
I guess it wouldn't be fair to vote on multiple forums, would it? :devilred:

Materdaddy
08-24-2012, 03:00 PM
I was thinking the other day.. Would you want to move support of nutcracker to a dedicated website? www.rgbnutcracker.com or .org are free and I would be willing to setup a Wordpress site along with support forum so that we could consolidate all the support/questions into one site.. It would be fairly inexpensive to run each month.. $10 or less a month for the server cost and dns fee.
I would be willing to do the setup of the site and get it all going for you if you would want..
-Daryl

I'm not sure that price is correct with the file sizes Sean has mentioned in the past. Likely a $10 hosting solution won't cut it.

smeighan
08-24-2012, 03:45 PM
-Daryl

normally you have two choices

shared servers where monthly costs are low, but they will not install any additional software

dedicated server where they give you the root password and you can install anything.

My shared isap , tierranet.com, has installed gnuplot, imagick, 7zip for free. I still have to share the server with other users.

now getting a domain name for nutcracker, i could do that but it would still point to meighan.net/nutcracker.

this may become somewhat a moot point as i get the install of nutcracker working on a your local machines.

If someone wants to help me get an install process done that will include updating the central database , send me a pm.

BTW, i use github for Nutcracker.
http://smeighan.github.com/nutcracker

I have tasks that are specific (autosize an animated gif, get layers from transparent gif, remote process calls to update a remote database,write a users manual or a wiki, create tutorials) that people could help with. Send me a pm if you want to colloborate

Nutcracker is written in php and mysql.

here is my current account package for my website
https://www.tierra.net/products/hosting/detail?code=11018;;_sid=8NoHo21vSkOWXb2cqMfLUd3w01
$25/month gives me 25gbytes. currently we are using 7gb.
I used to have the $20/month which was 10gb.,

like i said, unlike most other providers, tierranet will install software packages (they do the package add) for no cost even though this is a shared server