PDA

View Full Version : Planning for a parade...

pokey
08-14-2012, 09:16 AM
Our small town holds a small xmas lights parade each year. Last year, after much trash talking, my friend, who runs a float each year, put some meat behind it and now there are now 12 cases of beer at stake for the best display (one from each of the losers). He has recruited me to help and with small town bragging right and free beer in play, I've stepped up.

My plan is to place (16) 75 node smart string nodes arrayed as arches down his trailer (almost replicating a 1/2 barrel layout) and complement that with LED strings tied to a few Lynx controllers.

Nutcracker would be used for the WOW factor of butterfly effects, etc.

I've only played with Nutcracker for a little bit in a MegaTree layout but not certain what type of layout I'd be able to use.

Any advice that anyone can offer? Again - free beer is at stake.

smeighan
08-14-2012, 09:29 AM
Treat it as a vertical matrix, 16x75

All effects will work including text

What sequencer will u be using?

The more vertical strands, the more the wow factor. Have you though folding your strings into 32x27? This would make almost an 8'x8' vertical matrix.

pokey
08-14-2012, 04:03 PM
I may end up doing 32x27, but there needs to be enough clearance to permit the riders clearance, and needless to say -- beer is involved.

I actually have 18 strings, but didn't want to deal with having a second HUB....think I've got some fuses to replace too.

Using Vixen. I played with it a bit using the relevant plugins and tried out my MegaTree w/preview and it worked like a charm.

If I could afford it, I'd invest in 14 more strings (for a total of 32) and then knock it out of the park!

smeighan
08-14-2012, 04:53 PM
I may end up doing 32x27, but there needs to be enough clearance to permit the riders clearance, and needless to say -- beer is involved.

I actually have 18 strings, but didn't want to deal with having a second HUB....think I've got some fuses to replace too.

Using Vixen. I played with it a bit using the relevant plugins and tried out my MegaTree w/preview and it worked like a charm.

If I could afford it, I'd invest in 14 more strings (for a total of 32) and then knock it out of the park!

when u say trailer, like for hay or for horses?

this trailer is going to be pulled in the parade? Do you have a picture of the trailer? It would help me visualize the final float.

75 pixels times the average of 3" spacing means 17' arches?

for sure take a movie and some pics.

I play in the VFW band. Last weekend we played in a parade in Hugo, Colorado. Main street is maybe 10 blocks long. Since the avergae age of the vfw is like 70, we dont march. They get a flat bed truck and we sit on it and play marches.

Hugo is certainly small town america.

thanks

pokey
08-14-2012, 04:58 PM
It is a heavy duty landscaping trailer...probably 14 feet long (ish) by 6' wide being pulled by a big truck. Engineering can't happen until late Nov as we borrow it from a friend, but I may be able to get dimensions for it...

I planned to get arches designed/installed and then use silly old math to figure out the spacing of the nodes.

I need to sit around and drink about this with my co-conspirators. One option would be to not start the strings until a foot or so up the arch and double 'em up...perhaps use normal strings along the bottom foot as a sort of border.

Will certainly take pics....but will only post them if we win!!!

smeighan
08-15-2012, 12:44 AM
It is a heavy duty landscaping trailer...probably 14 feet long (ish) by 6' wide being pulled by a big truck. Engineering can't happen until late Nov as we borrow it from a friend, but I may be able to get dimensions for it...

I planned to get arches designed/installed and then use silly old math to figure out the spacing of the nodes.

I need to sit around and drink about this with my co-conspirators. One option would be to not start the strings until a foot or so up the arch and double 'em up...perhaps use normal strings along the bottom foot as a sort of border.

Will certainly take pics....but will only post them if we win!!!

6' across means 6' diameter of a circle. circumference is therefore 18.85 '. since you will have half of that (half of the circle). your half circle would be 9.48'

since most pixels are spaced 3" apart = 38 pixels.

I would suggest 1 to 2 feet risers in white pixels or something. Then the 9.5 arch. Fold each string in half you will have 32 arches. you can space then a little wider , like 4". 32 arches going down the length of the trailer with 4" spacing would give you something like 10.6 feet long.

when done on the trailer you could move these 32 arches to your front yard. Put them on 4' risers and people could walk through them

just some ideas

pokey
08-15-2012, 07:34 AM
Wow...you've done a lot more thinking about this than me, but I like what you suggest. 32 arches would be quite a site! If only I had an easy way to visualize it in Vixen...I can manually create it (I did it roughly last year in Vixen for my MegaTree), but that's a lot of pixels to draw.

Thanks for your time helping me through this.