PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with experience running HLS on Linux?

n_gifford
08-06-2012, 05:50 PM
So, I'm working through the HLS learning curve on one of my Windows machines in order to get used to the software without the added headache of troubleshooting on a non-supported OS. But, tonight I intend to jump in head first and start production sequencing on my display machine.

Before you ask, yes I could just use one of the Windows machines as a last resort. My primary laptop was occupied by my display last year and I don't really want to tie it up full-time again. One is my wife's (In desperate need of an overhaul), and another is a work computer (They probably wouldn't like me dedicating that one to the display.....). I picked up a Chromebox at Google I/O this year, and have decided to try and make it my dedicated light display machine. It's FAST! And a nice sequencing machine with a dual monitor setup. I got the computer and one monitor for free. I spent $65 on another monitor and keyboard/mouse, so the price was definitely right to try and make it work! Unfortunately, the BIOS is not compatible with Windows, so I've installed Ubuntu 12.04 on it. I expect HLS to run well with WINE, but am wondering what issues people have run into (I know the issues are out there).

Absolute last resort would be to set my wife up with the ChromeBox running Ubuntu and rebuild her laptop so I have a dedicated Windows machine. However, just like everyone else in this community, I have enough other things going on that this is not on the top of my list of fun things to do right now.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

kingofkya
08-07-2012, 12:11 AM
HLS runs pretty well under wine. As it uses very standard libs vs something in .net like vixen.

You can also run hls on a very low end machine as a last resort:)

JHinkle
08-07-2012, 09:50 AM
HLS does not require lots of memory like Vixen - You can run 30+ full DMX universes on 2 to 4 gig of memory.

CPU speed will determine if everything get done within the required time window.

Joe

n_gifford
08-07-2012, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I got sidetracked with other things and wasn't able to play around with it last night. Maybe tonight.....