PDA

View Full Version : How to Solder Cat5 Cables to a board

dirknerkle
08-04-2012, 12:22 PM
Soldering cat5 cable to a circuit board is often kind of a tricky thing because the cables are generally a little stiff and it's not easy keeping the cables in the holes when you flip the board over. Here's a tip that can help you, especially if you're assembling the DirkCheapSSRs and not using RJ45 jacks.

Strip back the insulation on the cat5 wires. Use some masking tape and tape the cable to the board, leaving enough slack to bend the cables and fit into the holes. The masking tape is your friend here -- it holds the wire for you.

I use a forceps or small needlenose pliers to bend the cables -- it's a lot easier than fingers. Insert the first row (pins 2-4-6-8) and solder. Then insert the second row (pins 1-3-5-7) and solder. Don't try all eight at once.

Even though a DirkCheapSSR (in this example) requires only 5 of the 8 wires, I typically solder all eight for additional strength. Remove the tape and you're done!

celtman123
09-01-2014, 03:13 AM
I also believe in 3M blue tape[emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnfish211
09-01-2014, 05:39 AM
Nice Write up Dave! I have struggled with the cat 5 stuff and realize that it can be very difficult to work with. It was one of the reasons I went to wireless in much of my display this year.

John