PDA

View Full Version : Questions

BrianJ
07-31-2012, 09:41 AM
Hi, I'm just learning HLS and sequencing so I am just figuring everything out as I go. I am sequencing mainly pixels in straight runs, eaves, windows, etc. I have a couple of questions:

Is there an easy way to run a rainbow effect across my string of pixels? Just a static rainbow for instance with red on the left side of my house and violet on the right side color morphing the full rainbow across the string of pixels.

If I order the pixels in a group does it effect the pixel order in other groups, For instance I would like to group all the vertical runs of pixels on the windows together and reorder them for easier sequencing. Would this change the order of the pixels in the window group as well?

Can I save the channel layout including groups and order? The last channel save I added to the library did not include the groups and ordering.

Can you select the actual effect instead of a rectangle around it? It would make moving/ lining up effects much quicker if you had a lasso type grab that only selected the active cells in an area. ( for joining chases etc. )

Those are the four that I have at the top of my head. Thanks for the help.

angus40
07-31-2012, 02:52 PM
Hi, I'm just learning HLS and sequencing so I am just figuring everything out as I go. I am sequencing mainly pixels in straight runs, eaves, windows, etc. I have a couple of questions:

Is there an easy way to run a rainbow effect across my string of pixels? Just a static rainbow for instance with red on the left side of my house and violet on the right side color morphing the full rainbow across the string of pixels.

There is several ways to do this in hls you could create a custom effefct using the effects button and add custom effect group this shown in Joes hls videos for custom effects , once you define the parameters of the custom effect and your in the sequence editor draw a selection box around the channel you would like and select the custom button to build the effect.

If I order the pixels in a group does it effect the pixel order in other groups, For instance I would like to group all the vertical runs of pixels on the windows together and reorder them for easier sequencing. Would this change the order of the pixels in the window group as well?

In short no , work groups are designed to make things easier for users to work on specific elements in the editor without having to load every channel in a users layout .

Can I save the channel layout including groups and order? The last channel save I added to the library did not include the groups and ordering.

Layout - yes

Workgroups -
Hmm , this is a good question and will need Joe's input about this being done natively in hls .

Can you select the actual effect instead of a rectangle around it? It would make moving/ lining up effects much quicker if you had a lasso type grab that only selected the active cells in an area. ( for joining chases etc. )

I dont think you will find an ez way to move things on any grid via sliding groups of effects once the grid starts gettin full of effects ..

i use the library extensively and blank areas of hls to create effects for incertion. when pasting an effect you only need to select the first time tic of where you want to place it ,anywhere on the grid .
Those are the four that I have at the top of my head. Thanks for the help.

Cheers

BrianJ
07-31-2012, 03:30 PM

There is several ways to do this in hls you could create a custom effefct using the effects button and add custom effect group this shown in Joes hls videos for custom effects , once you define the parameters of the custom effect and your in the sequence editor draw a selection box around the channel you would like and select the custom button to build the effect.

I understand creating custom effects but not sure how to apply it in this instance. I would like the effect to go up & down in the grid, not left to right. The effect (color morph) needs to be spread across the channels, the number of time tics that it covers would be set be the initial section highlighted.

For instance, click in the first time tic on channel one and the tenth time tic on channel 135 selecting those two and all the channels in between. Now I would add a level effect then re-select the box, and hit O for over effect. I can then select the color morph and change those channels in a morph that runs left to right.
That is not what I am after. I would like the morph to run up and down, from channel one to channel 135 (or whatever # is selected.)

angus40
07-31-2012, 03:46 PM
build your chase then draw a selection box over a group of channels in the chase to change its color , right click and choose Change rgb color of 1 or more effects .

Do this for each section of the chase to design your rainbow .

BrianJ
07-31-2012, 03:49 PM
OK, I was hoping there was a way to morph the colours through the channels on the same time tic. So to run a static rainbow across my eaves I need to hand set 250 colors :( I was hoping there was an easier way

angus40
07-31-2012, 04:08 PM
I am not sure i understand your question do you want this rainbow to appear on all channels at the same time ? then change colors on groups of channels with time ?
If so you would select the time tic length across all channels equally and select sections to change their colors . then you could copy paste and invert the entire effect as many times as you would like the effect to run . i would create this effects across all channels several times adjusting the color by copying and pasting sections of the effect and moving it up ou down 1 group or color level each time to create the chase effect if this is what your wanting .

You need to think creatively with copy and paste so you dont have to manually edit colors and etc .

I could do a video to show this . i just need to understand exactly what you require .

Cheers
Richard

BrianJ
07-31-2012, 04:14 PM
If you think of it as a single time tic with all the channels selected. The rainbow would run from top to bottom in the sequencer and in my case from left to right across the house. There is no movement involved it would just be a static effect. It could involve more time tics just for duration but is just a static type of effect that I am looking for (right now lol)

Think of it as a single strand of a tree with the rainbow running up the tree. no color change involved just a static rainbow.

As a seven channel it would look like this

Chan 1 - Red
Chan 2 - Orange
Chan 3 - Yellow
Chan 4 - Green
Chan 5 - Blue
Chan 6 - Indigo
Chan 7 - Violet

angus40
07-31-2012, 04:34 PM
If you think of it as a single time tic with all the channels selected. The rainbow would run from top to bottom in the sequencer and in my case from left to right across the house. There is no movement involved it would just be a static effect. It could involve more time tics just for duration but is just a static type of effect that I am looking for (right now lol)

Think of it as a single strand of a tree with the rainbow running up the tree. no color change involved just a static rainbow.

As a seven channel it would look like this

Chan 1 - Red
Chan 2 - Orange
Chan 3 - Yellow
Chan 4 - Green
Chan 5 - Blue
Chan 6 - Indigo
Chan 7 - Violet

You do know how to set channel colors while creating or modifying work groups . maybe this would help you .

This appears like a simple thing to do in the sequencer if its a static rainbow . You had mentioned morph which inicates a time factor .In the case of color morph this could be created by changing color and or intensity as per the grid .

BrianJ
07-31-2012, 04:36 PM
I just mean morph as in I select the area and as in an overlay effect select morph between, choose my two colors to morph between but have the results run up and down in the sequencer not left and right. "Morph over channels not time tics"

It would be handy not only to use for rainbows but I could have color"morphing" from the bottom of my eaves up to the peak or in small sections.
Light blue at the bottoms, progressing to dark blue at the peak in the center but static. not involving any movement