PDA

View Full Version : Creating custom effects made ez .

angus40
07-24-2012, 04:00 PM
If any of you would like a demo video to show how to create custom effects that will be unique to your display please post requests here .

Richard

Greg in Canby
07-24-2012, 04:11 PM
I'm hoping to incorporate pixels this year and am interested in your demo video! Thank You
Greg

intwoit2002
07-27-2012, 02:43 PM
I would be very interested.

Thanks

griffixdc
07-28-2012, 01:41 AM
interested

n_gifford
07-30-2012, 01:40 PM
Definitely interested! I have more pixels on order and a mega-tree design in the works. Anything to make sequencing 8 full DMX universes a little easier would be much appreciated!!

budude
07-30-2012, 02:18 PM
I'm sure many of us are interested in the outcome of these videos - but - I think the point of angus40's post was to put what *you* would like to see demo'd and is asking for requests.

angus40
07-30-2012, 05:11 PM
I'm sure many of us are interested in the outcome of these videos - but - I think the point of angus40's post was to put what *you* would like to see demo'd and is asking for requests.

This is correct , if you request a particular element you want to sequence it will help me focus the video specifically .

I have posted 1 brief video the explains how to use nutcracker effects and edit them .

what i would suggest is that you create 1 effect in nutcracker for each of your elements based on their pixel and string/strip count and give them names and save them to your nutcracker folder in the hls directory.

ie)c:\hls\nutcracker

if you use these effects on the pixel plane you will want these created nutcracker effects to match you ellement design exactlly .

for example , if you have a mega tree that is 16 strings of 100 pixels each folded 1 time then you need to set this up in nutcracker as such.

what i have done in nutcracker is created other effects that don't match my element at all i just created an effect for say a matrix or a ray and saved the effect to drop on rgb channels to edit .

I basically use nutcracker effects as a base to cut out and paste sections of them to create my own custom effects.

I have sent a request to Joe to allow user to be able to save a pixel plane effect on the pixel plane directly and to add the modify function to non nutcracker effects placed on the pixel plane . If he can afford us users this ability through his creative coding to perform these functions we will be able to add fade in fade out - speed up or slow down and over control function to our own custom created effects.

that said , users would be capable of creating a multi- multi layerd effect .

so to the original post , if you have a particular element you are wanting to sequence easily request it here and i will show you how to get it setup quickly and have your own unique effects.

n_gifford
07-30-2012, 08:20 PM
One thing I have in mind, and don't know if it's possible, because I'm just starting with HLS and nutcracker would be an equalizer effect on the mega tree. I'd like to light up different strings vertically at different heights to match the intensity of different parts of an instrumental track. Does that make sense?

barbotte
07-30-2012, 09:22 PM
i would like to have a aqualiser on my tube ligh went someone is talking ... but i am not sure how to do it

angus40
07-31-2012, 05:23 AM
Here Henri I did this real quickly to give you an idea how to do an equalizer effect . as far as vocal sync I am yet to try it .

now if you wanted a nice layered animation on top of this you could edit a nutcracker effect and cut and paste some of a sequenced effect onto of your equalizer effect.

i would suggest a meteor effect would be a good fit for this as it adds ramps and fades which would take days to do manually .

then you add colours as you see fit .

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/69984928/equalizer%20on%20firesticks.mp4

Richard

LightUpMA
08-19-2012, 05:46 AM
If any of you would like a demo video to show how to create custom effects that will be unique to your display please post requests here .

Richard

Rich,

Going through things I see this post from Joe. I am stumbling through pixel plane now on a mega tree 16 strings x 42 pixels. I've seen most of your videos and thank you they were very helpful. Could you do a video that illustrates Joe's post I copied below? Thanks!

---- Nutcracker makes a tremendous number of effects available that can be dropped on a PixelPlane.

A User wanted to be able to EDIT some of the inner workings ...

Version 4J is available.

4J provides a new Main Menu Selection - "Pixel Plane".

The first option allows you to expand a Nutcracker effect on to individual RGB channels so you can edit, modify, change to your heart's content.

The second option then allows you to take your modified, multi-channel effects - and export it into a "Pixel Plane" loadable file.

SO ......

Here is a suggested way of using these new capabilities.

Lets say you have a Nutcracker effect - but its just not quite to your liking and you would like to get to the low level effects and make some modifications.

Open HLS and CREATE a NEW Sequence - add a song (this also allows you to make the modifications in step with music).

Add the number of Channels equal to the Number of Pixel in your PixelPlane. Use the bulk selection process and make all of them RGB - save

Go through the next two step to create a viewable group and then select the group.

You now have a editable sequence with empty RGB channels.

Set the START audio tic mark (Right Click on Time Ruler) to mark where you would like the Nutcracker effect to start.

If you would like to LIMIT the size (in time line tics) - set the END audio mark (Ctrl-Right Click on time ruler).

Make first selection in Pixel Plane menu.

You now have a editable sequence -- change all you want.

Because the PixelPlane technology in HLS greatly reduces the number of channels in the sequence - I suggest that you SAVE the NEW multichannel effect and then drop THAT onto the PixelPlane in your SHOW sequence.

Again - use the START and STOP audio marks to denote the start point end point to be saved.

Second menu select option under "Pixel Plane" - then exports it to a file.

Now --- open the sequence that you will use for a show (which contains your PixelPlane) and drop in the Modified Nutcracker effect - now you have the best of all worlds.

You can all thank Henedce for requesting expanded capabilities.

Enjoy.

Joe

Link to my DownLoad Site: http://www.joehinkle.com/HLS

---

Powering 5 universes and over 2200 channels of pixelating rgb led's - brought to you by an understanding wife and the largest electric bill on the block.

angus40
08-19-2012, 11:34 AM
Have you watched #6 ?

https://vimeo.com/45460255

I could do a step by step for this if that would help .

I have been playing with hardware and testing creative ways to diffuse light .

will be back to creating videos real quick.

Richard

LightUpMA
08-19-2012, 02:59 PM
Have you watched #6 ?

https://vimeo.com/45460255

I could do a step by step for this if that would help .

I have been playing with hardware and testing creative ways to diffuse light .

will be back to creating videos real quick.

Richard

Yeah I watched videos 1-7 I just don't remember pixel planes. I remember some arches I'll go back and look again.

Btw, thank you so much for the videos. Very informative!

angus40
09-06-2012, 01:29 PM
Here is a helpfull tip for those of you creating custom effects in rgb channel format and then saving them as a pixel plane .

After you have created your pixel plane file and saved it to the c:\hls\nutcracker folder if you goto the nutcracker folder and rename the file with the extension .HLSNC

and then drop that file on a pixel plane in the hls editor you will now be able to to use the fade and speed features that hls permits on imported nutcracker files.

angus40
12-19-2012, 03:47 PM
I know Joe is working terribly hard at improving Hls and adding new features by the score . I am going to suggest something here that I know goes totally against Joe's

grain .

When i originally posted this thread i never extended on it , but i have made this suggestion in the past .

Having several versions of hls can be a saving grace . Fortunately for me i saved every version Joe has released .

If you are using pixel planes and creating rgb channels for dumping effects to create custom effect I have found it best to not do this in your show copy of hls .

Version 5n is very fast at allowing you to create these effects on rgb channels and you can save them to your nutcracker folder in any version you have installed .

Just remember to keep your file system in order .

Also with hls newer versions i am not so sure older pc's can handle the video rendering efficiently, when users choose very fine resolution as the setting.

I will add ver.5n here for download , just remember to put this in its own folder and run its .exe from within this folder.

http://db.tt/yDG0r3j3

Do not use this to update or regress newer releases of hls. Create a new folder for this version and label the folder 5N HLS

By doing custom effects creation this way i have found it keeps the clutter of needless channels out of your show version of Hls .

Hope this helps

Cheers
Richard

JHinkle
12-19-2012, 04:57 PM
This is VERY BAD!!!!

Don't cry to me if you follow this and you mess up your sequence.

Joe

rfallatt
12-19-2012, 05:43 PM
Ohhh... Richard....
you made the naughty list!!!

angus40
12-19-2012, 06:07 PM
Quote , I did say against Joe's grain .

this was not intended to slite Joe in any way . I am certain he knows this .

I should have stated that this is for experienced Hls users and as Joe stated don't blame him for your whoas doing this if you are unsure of my suggestion follow the beaten path .

you need to be acutely organized doing what i have suggested and remember this is for creating effects only . I did not suggest sequences.

angus40
12-19-2012, 06:22 PM
Also here is a list of some of the things i am doing that work perfectly .

I created a host of effects at Sean's nutcracker site months ago , downside was i created them based on a 16 string mega tree .

I graduated that to a 32 string and added large amounts of pixel strip to my house .

I really like the effects but lost all of them by deletion from my nutcracker library at seans site .

so here is the list .

turning 16 string effects into 32 string

copying sections of the effects for certain channel counts to put on the pixels on my house to match the mega tree effect .

taking multiple effects and merging them into 1 pixel plane effect .

I have tested these as stated above and had 0 issues . If you decide to try this use extreme caution to protect your show copy of hls .

Cheers