PDA

View Full Version : Better distance with a TUNECAST- 4 blocks -aprox 1700'

TERBObob
01-07-2008, 05:58 PM
Since I've been messing around with the TUNECAST , I found the BEST antenna going !
I decided to try one of my transmitter antennas from one of my Futaba RC transmitter . ( one for 72 Mhz freq ) and guess what ? ALL the way up , it toss's a signal almost 4 blocks away . :o
And that was from INSIDE my house to boot !
I took my wifes PT Cruiser down the road to check and I could hardly beleive it .
Then , I had one of my sons go for the ride with me and had him grab his little IPOD MP3 player along to see if it , too , recieved the signal from that distance . And wha-la ... it did also . ( reason I had him check with that was just in case the radio in the Cruiser had some kind of built in receiving amp that amp'ed up the recieving signal . )
Anywho ..... just thought I would toss this out there for those that are wanting a little more distance with your TUNECAST .

muttley
01-07-2008, 07:35 PM
Whoa! sweet.

got any pics of how you attached the antenna? my RC transmitters all have a screw in type connection.

TERBObob
01-07-2008, 08:47 PM
No pictures , but it was very easy ....
First , let me say that I always have a few spare antennas around , since my boys ( ages 11 and 13 ) almost always run with me ( I run airboats , water propped Sikk boats , planes and buggys )
Andsinc they kinda get in a rush to push the antenna down , sometimes , they tend to "bend" them .. :cry:
Anyway ... I used a piece of 18 gauge stranded , at a length of 4 inches .. removed the solder connection at the board ( tunecast ) and replaced it with the one just mentioned . I then simply soldered the other end and found a bolt that fit perfectly into the bottom of the antenna and then tightened the soldered wire to the base of the antenna . I mounted the antenna to a 90 degree "L" bracket made from plastic - VERY stiff so that the antenna is pointing skywards .
( mind you , I also placed the TUNECAST inside my housing for my BROADCAST ON 87.7 FM sign and the antenna is placed on the outside/backside of the sign - which will go out towards the front of the property . I also am using a regulated power supply , so that there is no HUM when NOT using batteries .
The programming of Vixen will be as follows also :
Continually run Christmas music 24/7 with a recorded message , from myself , stating that the light show will begin every evening at 5 PM and will play until 11 pm . and have VIXEN programmed so that the shows start as stated and shut off as stated . ( basically , all computer controlled - since I drive truck and am not always home except basically on the weekends . )

grages
01-07-2008, 09:39 PM
This is a tunecast 1?

muttley
01-07-2008, 10:29 PM
using an antenna as an antenna....I woulda never thought of that. :P

I've got 2 boys as well and a pile of wrecked planes/boats/cars so I'm going to reclaim some parts for this.

thanks!

robots4joey
01-08-2008, 07:34 PM
I did something similar, I hooked my tune cast II to a pair of rabbit ears, I don;t get that kind of distance though... only about 2 houses either direction...

I'm running it through an amplifier for FM/TV antennas too...

Oh well...

ctmal
03-08-2008, 12:15 PM
I just took your suggestion and attached the wire from my belkin mod to the end of an old Futaba radio controlled airplane antenna. It's raining extremely hard today so I'm not going to test the distance too much but so far I was able to go receive a signal all the way in the back yard and the antenna is inside in a room at the front of the house. This is a HUGE improvement over what I was able to receive before.
I'll let everyone know how I make out after I've tested how much improvement I got...I really think you may be onto something here.

Just a clarification on how easy it is, the antenna is removed from the radio controller just by unscrewing it. I just stripped about 1/4 inch of the wire from my Belkin antenna mod, wrapped it around a screw and screwed it in the end of antenna.

Thanks for the idea.

ctmal
03-08-2008, 12:19 PM
Like I said, I haven't tested this thouroughly(spelling?) but I was curious how expensive the antenna's were if it does turn out to be a good solution.

Good news is they're cheap!
http://cgi.ebay.com/Futaba-ANT5-Telescopic-RC-Radio-Transmitter-TX-Antenna_W0QQitemZ370028411550QQihZ024QQcategoryZ34 056QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

TERBObob
04-06-2008, 12:41 PM
I'm running it through an amplifier for FM/TV antennas too...
Something for you to realize ...
That amp is for RECEIVING signal , NOT transmitting . BIG difference there .

nromanel
04-24-2008, 09:34 AM
Hey There,

Was this a tunecast 1 or tunecast 2 (or tunecast 3? :P )

Thanks!!

ctmal
04-24-2008, 09:37 AM
I'm using a Tunecast 2 and got pretty good results.

nromanel
05-04-2008, 11:24 AM
Hey guys,

I got myself a Tunecast 1, have an extra RF antenna, and I'm gonna hack up a USB cable for power. I'll take some pictures and let everyone know how it goes!

gocats7
11-04-2008, 09:20 PM
Can someone provide the part number for the antenna that worked? I dont know very much about RC, but this is exactly what I need to happen. Thanks!

Doug-in-the-woods
11-04-2008, 11:19 PM
only 1700 feet?
I have my Tunecast2 hanging under the eves of the house. A wire about ?feet long (need to look at mod description)
Am powering using a 12v adapter plug that came with Tunecast.
Distance = can hear slightly at just under 1.5 miles.
NOTE we only have 1 radio station in Salmon, Idaho but there are several about 150-200 miles away that can be picked up.
Salmon has a population of 3000 but most live outside the city on large ranches.
The vehicle being used to pick up your radio tunes varies from one auto maker to another.
I found Fords have better reception than Chevy. Toyota has perhaps the best (my brother lives 1.5 miles away and can just pick up my tunes)) My chevy truck radio will pick up my tunes to about 1/4 mile away
The type of power you are applying to your Tunecast will make a difference.

gocats7
11-07-2008, 10:08 PM
Currently I am just on the two AAA batteries. So a different power source will impact this? If so, cool and I will have to look into that mod. I tried just the wire, but am also hoping to try the FM antenna but I dont know which RC antenna it is. Anyone know a part number?

ctmal
11-07-2008, 10:33 PM
Currently I am just on the two AAA batteries. So a different power source will impact this? If so, cool and I will have to look into that mod. I tried just the wire, but am also hoping to try the FM antenna but I dont know which RC antenna it is. Anyone know a part number?

You will get better distance supplying your tunecast with 12 volts instead of using the batteries.
Here's a link to the type of antenna I was talking about.
http://www.radioshack.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2032411&cp=2032062.2032403&fbc=1&f=PAD%2FProduct+Type%2FAntennas&fbn=Type%2FAntennas

omzig
11-07-2008, 10:54 PM
So you can quadruple the input voltage without burning it up?

Wayne J
11-07-2008, 11:03 PM
So you can quadruple the input voltage without burning it up?

The input voltage of the DC jack is 12V 200mA ;)

omzig
11-07-2008, 11:14 PM
The input voltage of the DC jack is 12V 200mA ;)I see says the blind man. You'd think they would have made it to take more than two batteries then. Maybe only two in order to keep its size down.

TERBObob
11-08-2008, 09:39 AM
Fut-6exapant

gocats7
11-10-2008, 01:57 PM
Thanks to everyone that posted, now I have to get to work!