PDA

View Full Version : Size of bitmap for preview?

Javo
07-13-2012, 11:28 PM
Just curious if anyone knew what size my bitmap should be to use for my preview. I've uploaded my photo but always is distorted, I'm sure there's an optimal size the bitmap should be so it aligns correctly with the preview area.

Thanks for the help.

angus40
07-14-2012, 02:55 AM
This is a bit of a loaded question , I believe Joe designed Hls with 1024 x 768 resolution in mind .

Try adjusting your screen resolution and the compatibility settings of the hls exe .

this combined with testing various sizes of your bitmap you should achieve a natural look .

JHinkle
07-15-2012, 09:35 AM
Just curious if anyone knew what size my bitmap should be to use for my preview. I've uploaded my photo but always is distorted, I'm sure there's an optimal size the bitmap should be so it aligns correctly with the preview area.

Thanks for the help.

I take what you provide and resize it to fit your screen size.

You don't define what type of distortion you are getting so I suspect your bitmap has less resolution than your screen.

Usually you get a better resize when making a bitmap smaller than larger.

Joe

Javo
08-04-2012, 07:08 PM
I take what you provide and resize it to fit your screen size.

You don't define what type of distortion you are getting so I suspect your bitmap has less resolution than your screen.

Usually you get a better resize when making a bitmap smaller than larger.

Joe

The width seems okay, but it gets squeezed up on the height. I suspect the problem is my bitmap is square so the width works fine but the height has issues. If I knew an "optimal" layout or size I believe I could do that and try again. Or am I misunderstanding the process?

Thank you for the follow up and sorry for the delayed response. Busy summer!

JHinkle
08-05-2012, 08:30 AM
The width seems okay, but it gets squeezed up on the height. I suspect the problem is my bitmap is square so the width works fine but the height has issues. If I knew an "optimal" layout or size I believe I could do that and try again. Or am I misunderstanding the process?

Thank you for the follow up and sorry for the delayed response. Busy summer!

Currently I take your bitmap and scale/size it to fit the resolution/size of your monitor.

Sounds like your monitor resolution may be part of the issue.

What resolution are you running?

Remember - square on your monitor is not square pixels ... example 1024 x 756 (or any 4 X 3) is square visually.

Joe

n_gifford
08-06-2012, 09:07 PM
I personally would just play around with the .bmp in paint. Crop it, and try it. Save the original. If it doesn't look right, try it again.

Daryl1
08-06-2012, 09:47 PM
I'm running a longer than tall image, Screen resolution is set to 1680 X 1050. In paint my picture is set to 96DPI and a size of 1920W X 1632H. my preview pretty well fills the screen on my monitor and is a little distorted (bricks just look strange) But when you darken the image nobody but me knows anyway. Still makes setting the outlines clear enough for me. Hope this helps

Daryl1
08-06-2012, 09:54 PM
Guess I should read the top of my screen before I open my mouth and put both feet in:) My bad - I'm running Vixen and didn't notice the header on my screen. And that being said, I'll shut up now.

OriginalHotrodder
10-12-2012, 01:20 AM
I'm running on a 1920x1080 monitor. I've found that a 1920 x 840 cropped picture works great in my preview.