PDA

View Full Version : New Development Forum

Macrosill
01-07-2008, 10:58 AM
There has been a new forum added. It is geared for the technical development of hardware. All registered users can view and read the forum. This allows all of us to "be in the know" of what is going on in our community. Posts are limited to the Developers usergroup. The reason is because there are supposed to be highly technical conversations going on in there. It is hard enough to follow without the posts clogging up the thread with things like "I want this" or Will this be coop'ed?". Members can request to be in the Developers usergroup. The site Admin and current Developers will then decide as a group if access will be granted. This is not meant to exclude anyone and that is why the forum is viewable by all. We are just limiting the posts to technical discussion.

stempile
01-08-2008, 12:06 AM
We need to have something scanning the FlashChat and posting stuff here... There is lots of development going on in there. Not likely to happen I know but it would be interesting to be able to search a chat archive.

ms

Matt
01-08-2008, 08:42 PM
I see that the goal of the Development forum is to limit the posts to technical discussion. I understand the need for that, and I think the current arrangement has been designed with the best of intentions. However, I think the forum should be open for all to post. A closed forum still interferes with the "free and open" nature of the community that is presently being discussed.

People with limited technical experience can be a pain in development, but they do have good things to say. Also, imagine there's a new member to the forum who has good technical qualifications and is eager to participate in development. Wouldn't a closed forum be a deterrent to that?

As long as it is clear that the forum is limited to technical discussion (perhaps re-named to "Technical Development" and a "Rules" sticky placed at the top) I don't think members will interfere too much with the discussion and post too many "I want that" and "COOP" posts. If there is a problem, it should be dealt with on a post-by-post or user-by-user basis. Posts can be moved, edited and deleted, and users can be reminded of the proper purpose via PM.

An example of this can be seen in what happened with the Design Guidelines page on the wiki. It was pointed out that members have been responsible so far, so let things be open for all to edit unless there is a problem. In my opinion, the same approach should be used for this forum.

Again, I realize the need for a place for technical discussion - but I think that to keep posts organized, the answer is keeping and sticking to rules on the type of posts - not the people who make them.

Just my two cents. Thank you for your commitment to keeping things organized and usable for our community.

-Matt

tfmacz
01-09-2008, 04:32 PM
This is not meant to exclude anyone and that is why the forum is viewable by all. We are just limiting the posts to technical discussion.

Of course it is ment to exclude almost everyone.

Jeff Millard
01-09-2008, 07:18 PM
This is not meant to exclude anyone and that is why the forum is viewable by all. We are just limiting the posts to technical discussion.

Of course it is ment to exclude almost everyone.

There is nothing stopping you (other than a bad attitude) from discussing the things you see being discussed in the development forum in an appropriate section of DIYC. The thought that people are being excluded is just plain wrong. All of us have good things to say and add to the design of the hardware and software used in this hobby. Your opinions and ideas are welcomed with open arms!

It is imperative that the development be focused without any kind of (I can think of no other word, and I have no intent to offend by using it) "static" Everyone needs to look around this entire forum and see the places where the development is occurring. You will see that time and time again something important is being discussed, and the thread goes off topic for the simplist of reasons. It can be something innocent like questions about co-ops (There's a separate section for that)

You can see from their posts, that the leaders in development view all aspects of this entire forum. There is no indication that they are going to go sit behind a sheet of glass and have a big development party that everyone can watch and not participate in. That thought is ridiculous!

I believed at first (and posted my opinions in the Mods forum) that it wasn't at all a good idea. I couldn't even fathom why they wanted it. I actually thought it was oppressive! So I caught up on my reading and began to understand what the need was. "We" all of us, by our nature dive right into discussion and contribute. There have been a few that caused a little dissent, but I cast that aside and say they are not that much of a factor in this. It is obvious from the path that some major Threads take that we are so interested in sharing our ideas that we easily go off topic and don't even realize we're doing it. Most of the time it's no big deal. If Brian sees it happening and feels it's causing a thread to lose important focus he says so and asks folks to stick to the topic. But I, nor you, have any idea what goes through the mind of someone who started a discussion about something they consider to be very important only to have that discussion lose focus on the "next big thing"

We are not (and I say "we" because I am no more capable of developing the next big thing than a baby hippopotamus) being made to feel like we aren't qualified to contribute in the development. The rules tell you how you can get directly involved in a discussion. We are being told that the developers want a place that you can see their ideas (and not muddle them up) rather than holding these discussions in PM or email to keep them focused.

I consider it a privledge that they are including me in their private discussions, by presenting them to me so that I may choose a particular forum to post my thoughts/opinions/ideas and any other gobbledy gook without missing out on the stuff they discuss.

Some DIYC members have completely gotten the wrong idea, and it's my opinion that this has caused some bad blood recently. Stop it! That's from my heart. There are some very important people here working their little tails off to make this place work for YOU! US! All the dissent makes their lives miserable. Brian has a family, a job, and a life! So do all the rest. In a perfect "Christmas" related website he wouldn't have to spend so much of his time creating ways to deal with the things that have been giving him agita.

Over the last year this hobby has become focused and created some of the best lighting control hardware and software in the world. Because Brian had some opinions, an idea and the determination to birth and grow DIYC, we are here and profiting greatly from his hard work. I'm not singling him out for praise. I'm just telling you that you wouldn't be here in a big family of DIY people, you'd be wading through the places information was spread around in looking for direction.

I'll get down off my soapbox in just a few more words. Everyone look around. Look at the development discussions that are already flowing. It will only continue to get better. If folks choose to start crap, it just kills the progress. I cringed when I saw RJ having to explain himself. A guy that has an incredible talent and shares the results of his genius, along with spending his own money to develop things he doesn't use but know others do... I know everyone has a resistance to change, but you have to at least give it a chance! I openly admit that my complaint to the leaders in the Mods forum about the new section was wrong, but I spoke my peice and waited for discussion. It came, and I am now convinced that my fears were unwarranted.

Please! Stop this mindless bantering about the development forum and start reading what Phil, RJ and everyone else are writing there and go make a thread to contribute something. This place is huge, and if you want your own section all you have to do is have a good reason for it and it'll be there. Brian has proved that time and time again.

Jeff

PS If I start to miss PlanetChristmas I'll burn my control hardware and all the decorations in a big bonfire! ...and no! You can't have it!

PajdaProductions
01-10-2008, 12:03 AM
PS If I start to miss PlanetChristmas I'll burn my control hardware and all the decorations in a big bonfire!
(starts thinking...)

...and no! You can't have it!
AW, there went that idea..... :)

teberle
01-10-2008, 12:13 AM
Jeff,

Very well said.

Tony

NogginBoink
01-10-2008, 12:32 AM
Brian, your announcement says:

"Members can request to be in the Developers usergroup."

To whom should we direct our requests, and how/where? There are no moderators listed for the Development forum.

Dan Ross
01-10-2008, 12:36 AM
Brian, your announcement says:

"Members can request to be in the Developers usergroup."

To whom should we direct our requests, and how/where? There are no moderators listed for the Development forum.

If you click on the user groups link on the top of the page you can see the users and moderators for the developers group

rrowan
01-12-2008, 01:15 AM
HI Brian,

First I just want to say that I enjoy reading what is going on in the developers forum. Not that I understand all of it :lol:

My only problem is with the "graphics" in the dev forum. The vertical side frames seem to be in the wrong spots.

It just could be my computer

Thanks

Rick R.

RavingLunatic
01-15-2008, 11:58 AM
Brian,

It appears that non-members of the Developers forum can't view attachments. Was this intended?

Kinda hard to follow if you can't see what they are referencing.

Macrosill
01-15-2008, 01:25 PM
deleted as I made a mistake

tstewart
01-21-2008, 04:31 PM
Attachments should now be viewable by all registered users.

With the move to VB the attachments in the development forum are no longer viewable.

Todd

Macrosill
01-21-2008, 05:13 PM
With the move to VB the attachments in the development forum are no longer viewable.

Todd

When you say they are not viewable is this because there is no thumbnail or you can not download the file?

The .pdf and PCBExpress files can not have thumbnails. The .gif files can have thumbnails but because they were brought over from the old forum they are larger than the allowable size. I can only surmise this is the issue and it will not effect new files.

tstewart
01-21-2008, 05:25 PM
Yes is it when I click on a pdf file it says I do not have access to the page. I also tried some of the schematic and PCB files and get the same error.

Todd

tstewart
01-21-2008, 06:46 PM
Duplicate Post Deleted

tstewart
01-21-2008, 07:07 PM
What I mean but not viewable is when I click on a link to download the file or view a PDF I get an error pages stating I do no have permission to do that. The only reason I bring this up is earlier in this thread you said that attachments should be viewable by all registered members. I also think you made the change on the old setup to allow the viewing of attachments. I just figured this was something that was missed on the change over to VB. If they are not suppose to be viewable if you are not part of the Development group then that is fine also.

Todd

rrowan
01-23-2008, 03:12 PM
Did the developers stop using the developer forum?

I am missing my "fix" for what they are dreaming up or working on :D

Thanks

Rick R.