PDA

View Full Version : Cannot setup output method

Materdaddy
07-08-2012, 06:52 PM
I am giving HLS a try and I cannot get the output setup. I read the "Getting Started" guide and it doesn't explain what to do if the status isn't green.

I setup my com port, then go to the "Select Output Method" dialog. I click the "Transport" cell for my 1st universe which brings up the Transport dialog. Then I select "COM", then the com port I set up, finally I select "Renard". and I'm brought back to the "Manage Universes" dialog. This shows my changes for COM and Renard, but the status is read with a number 6. I'm not sure if 6 is the com number or an error code. I cannot click "active" and if I click "OK" my changes are lost and I have to re-do the transport, com, renard sequence again.

Vixen works with COM6, but isn't running. I've rebooted this windows VM to be sure nobody is holding the com port.

I'm using version 5k of HLS.

angus40
07-08-2012, 07:49 PM
output-/setup comport --- configure your com and verify it through your device manager .

when that is set goto output/selectoutput method to config transport and protocol .

When you are ready to test lights you need to put a check mark beside output above the editor grid .

Materdaddy
07-08-2012, 08:27 PM
No offense, I appreciate the offer to help, but did you read my post? :hmm:

I have setup the port, I have attempted setting the output method, it doesn't save.

Hitting the check-mark on output above the editor gives an error message: "Unable to Transmit the Sequences - Output are Not Properly Configured". This is the whole reason I kept going back and eventually made this post.

angus40
07-08-2012, 08:31 PM
in channel manager / manage raw channels did you click the renumber channels for output button and save ?

Is there any comments beside the active box ? like >>> Dup chan

chelmuth
07-08-2012, 08:38 PM
I had the same problem as I don't think the output window is very intuitive..
Output - Select Output method..

You should see your channel list in there or a group or what ever it's called..
Under Transport where is says none.. If you click on none it brings up the box that lets you choose Ethernet - Com - DMX etc..

angus40
07-08-2012, 08:56 PM
output setup video is uploading now .:)

Materdaddy
07-08-2012, 09:54 PM
in channel manager / manage raw channels did you click the renumber channels for output button and save ?

Is there any comments beside the active box ? like >>> Dup chan

I did now. What does this do? It looks like it simply made the channels start at 1 instead of 0. Maybe this should be the default if it causes other errors like output setup?

angus40
07-08-2012, 10:41 PM
https://vimeo.com/45415579

Materdaddy
07-08-2012, 11:15 PM
I think I have found 3 bugs.

First, after clicking the mysterious "renumber channels for output" button the com port status changed to green and I was able to check the "OutPut sequence" checkbox. However, when I click 'play' nothing happens. No output, no signs that anything is playing other than the fact that other things behave strangely until I click stop.

After this, I can right-click the timeline and leave a mark and hit "play from mark" which will side-scroll the screen, but nothing. Sometimes the effects will "freeze" to the screen at this point. I side-scroll on the bottom and the effects drawn just "float" across time.

Note that all of this is using a sequence with NO audio. I started by clicking "No Audio used in this Sequence". If I do the same exact steps, but using a wav file, the output works as expected.

Second, when I click "OutPut Sequence" it automatically selects "Disengage Audio Display". That's fine and dandy, but it allows me to uncheck that, yet it still doesn't show the audio update when it plays. Now obviously this is only the case for when I have audio since playback does not work on a sequence without audio.

Third, ctrl+s crashes HLS. After years of being in software, I have a habit of hitting ctrl+s almost compulsively to save often. I have a little punch list of things I'd like to see in HLS and one was going to be use of standard keyboard shortcuts like ctrl+o, ctrl+s, etc. but I guess ctrl+o is somewhat pointless since HLS has to be restarted to work on one song to another...

Materdaddy
07-08-2012, 11:20 PM
https://vimeo.com/45415579

Thanks for the video.

You say to click the "Renumber channels for output" button. What does that do exactly? Just makes sure there are no 0-numbered channels? Checks that there are no channel number collisions? Some magic behind the scenes?

Also, for checking the com port settings in windows, it's slightly different in XP, you might want to point that out in the video.

chelmuth
07-08-2012, 11:26 PM
What version of HLS are you using? I just tried Ctrl-s and it didn't crash. I'm think I'm running 5K.. and checked for updates and it says it's the most current version. but it doesn't tell me anywhere what version i'm using. I'm assuming 5k because that's the folder it created when i downloaded it?

angus40
07-08-2012, 11:48 PM
look at the botom right of hls screen for .ver

Avoid using No audio for now ( If you have -experience difficulties )as i do not think you can save the sequence and re-open it .

I will need to assume that I referenced using control panel to adjust com port settings . I cannot cover every os in short videos .

Remember that hls is free and works great . It does require a learning curve like anything else .

I will post as many how to videos as i can to help .

I have no affiliation to or any involvment in the creation of Hls .

Cheers

Materdaddy
07-09-2012, 01:29 AM
What version of HLS are you using? I just tried Ctrl-s and it didn't crash. I'm think I'm running 5K.. and checked for updates and it says it's the most current version. but it doesn't tell me anywhere what version i'm using. I'm assuming 5k because that's the folder it created when i downloaded it?

I'm running 5k. I can simply start it up and hit "ctrl+s" and immediately a window pops up "What Was I Doing When the Crash Occurred?"

Launch, ctrl+s, crash.

Since we're both running the same HLS, what OS are you running? I'm running Windows XP Personal SP3 (in a VM).

look at the botom right of hls screen for .ver

Avoid using No audio for now ( If you have -experience difficulties )as i do not think you can save the sequence and re-open it .

Ah, I didn't realize this was an experimental feature. I remember seeing a post from Joe saying some new version supported it, didn't realize it was still buggy. I'll treat it as such.

I will need to assume that I referenced using control panel to adjust com port settings . I cannot cover every os in short videos.

Wasn't meant as a slight to the great videos you've created, just a footnote.

Remember that hls is free and works great . It does require a learning curve like anything else .

Now it sounds like you're selling it... there are other free things that work great too, and of course there's a learning curve. That's exactly why I'm playing with it! I'm trying to decide what software I'm going to use this year. Time is going sure going quickly this year.

I will post as many how to videos as i can to help .

Thank you for the help. The videos and posts are appreciated!

Materdaddy
07-09-2012, 01:51 AM
Also, what is the best way to report bugs? I believe I found another.

Select multiple channels, attempt to paste them where they overflow the available channels.

For example, select 4 channels, and try pasting their effects in the last 1, 2, or 3 channels and HLS will crash.

angus40
07-09-2012, 02:27 AM
Great to here you have got it working !

My post was not to sell or was it directed at you specifically . :)

The bugs you have noted , I have already come upon them and reported them to Joe.

When you drop more channels than the grid permits there is no catch to terminate the overflow .

You can fill out the query and add your email as Joe gets the report sent back to him the next time you open hls.

I would think that Hls is getting close to a polished version very limited bugs now .

A key thing is to remember to save often .

Also while in edit from paint mode if you have other applications open like internet explorer etc and you have resized the view HLS gives a warning this can get hidden behind the hls editor and your unaware so it will appear that hls has locked up .

I am merely a messanger and will help users the best i can .

Cheers.

JHinkle
07-09-2012, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the input.

Version 5L is released.

Version 5L and later will no longer respond to Ctrl-S and Pasting off the Grid will not be allowed.

I have put No-Audio on hold until I can investigate further. It works on my computer - just not on others. It may be OS related since I am using a very low level OS resource to provide me with accurate 5 millisec timing.

Joe

Materdaddy
07-09-2012, 01:48 PM
Wow, thanks Joe! Impressive turn-around time and project altogether.