PDA

View Full Version : Setting your nic-network adapter to a 10 .10.10.1 ip

angus40
07-05-2012, 11:54 PM
Thought i would do a video to show you how to set your network adapter's ip to enable a seperate network from your internet.

If your pc only has 1 ethernet port or rj45 socket that you use for internet and you would like to have an extra port to connect on the cheap , this is what i did and it works great .

I purchased 1 of these on ebay and will use it for internet while my show is connected to my lan port on my pc.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Ethernet-External-USB-Lan-RJ45-Network-Card-Adapter-10-100-Mbps-Laptop-PC-/280912775281?pt=US_Internal_Network_Cards&hash=item4167b4c871

One thing to note that is after you change your ip to 10.10.10.1 your controllers and e1.31 to dmx bridge will require their ip's to be set to the 10.10.10.* range also.

If you set your nic card to 10.10.10.1 as in the video your hardware can start at 10.10.10.2 and up from there .

Hope this makes sense and is easy to follow.

https://vimeo.com/45287947

JackFrost
07-06-2012, 08:25 AM
just curious why someone would want this done ?

timon
07-06-2012, 09:44 AM
To protect your home network. If some one plugs into your show net they will have a harder time getting to your main network assuming you've secured your show computer. In addition nothing you do on one network will effect the other so high traffic on one will not slow the other dowd.

Lionking_Tx
07-06-2012, 10:04 AM
just curious why someone would want this done ?

To separate Show and House Network ?

JasonPortwood
07-06-2012, 01:20 PM
I would use the USB ethernet for the show instead of re-numbering the main network interface. Less to fuss with then. Just plug it all in and go. Then when done with the show pull it and put it away till next time. Unless there is some other reason I'm not thinking of for not using the USB adapter?

JackFrost
07-06-2012, 01:24 PM
ok ... guess I should have worded it better ....
Main question .. WHY would you have your blinky flashy PC online anyway ? Or is it that you have one universal PC ... for blinky flashy and also used for everything else ? Is that what it is ? ( and yes , for the price of a cheap 2.4 desktop , I would rather have a dedicated PC , than risk sharing . )
And as far as transferring data from PC to PC ... man , those USB sticks are the GREATEST :thup2:

angus40
07-06-2012, 01:33 PM
I tried that and it doesnt work very well that way .

I would use the USB ethernet for the show instead of re-numbering the main network interface. Less to fuss with then. Just plug it all in and go. Then when done with the show pull it and put it away till next time. Unless there is some other reason I'm not thinking of for not using the USB adapter?

pixeldigger
07-06-2012, 05:26 PM
Main question .. WHY would you have your blinky flashy PC online anyway ? Or is it that you have one universal PC ... for blinky flashy and also used for everything else ? Is that what it is ? ( and yes , for the price of a cheap 2.4 desktop , I would rather have a dedicated PC , than risk sharing . )
And as far as transferring data from PC to PC ... man , those USB sticks are the GREATEST :thup2:

1: VNC remote control to "fix" the show when you aren't there.
2: Upload of "now playing" to your Mobile accessible website.
3; if you have no access on your home network, you will have to put a monitor on the PC, and acually physically access it anytime you make sequence changes.

angus40
07-06-2012, 05:41 PM
this little usb adapter has been real handy while testing lights to work with hls and having web access remote capabilities while joe could beta test then get true results instead of simulated via a preview or visualizer.

If i would have had to use seperate pc's for this it would be greif to say the least.

If you require a seperate pc to run your show that is a personal choice , I am sure many here are budget orientated and will only have 1 pc to do both.

With hls resources are not an issues so 1 pc will be just fine :)

[/I]