PDA

View Full Version : HLS - Remote control of various computers running HLS

JHinkle
06-15-2012, 07:11 PM
I'm thinking of a new capability for HLS that may help people doing synchronized displays (like neighbors, multi-media, etc).

HLS could have one or more control channels that would identify when other computers (running HLS) would play a specific sequence.

Communication between HLS computers would be via the Internet (Point-to-Point TCP/IP) communication.

One example ... three or four neighbors have displays - all want to play and synchronize to the same song. One could be the master and tell the other HLS machines what sequence to play and when.

Another example ... you have a computer that does video, water, whatever ... and you want those effects to be part of your sequence.

Does this interest anyone?

Joe

angus40
06-15-2012, 08:33 PM
This sounds interesting as i plan to use a projector for virtual santa .

would be great to control that remotely.

budude
06-15-2012, 08:50 PM
Joe - a similar aspect of this is in Vixen where it can trigger the running of a batch file. This is typically used to kick off an update of the RDS transmission or running LTC to start a script to update an LEDTriks panel (or set of panels). It's not quite the same thing as what you are suggesting but might be leveraged for the same purpose.

Greg in Canby
06-15-2012, 09:18 PM
Joe,

Yes, that sounds pretty awesome. I have been wanting to synchronize video and lights with 100 ms accuracy for some time.

Keep us posted and thanks for all the hard work!

Greg

JHinkle
06-15-2012, 09:21 PM
Brian: I kick off RDS also.

What I'm looking at is synchronized execution of sequences on multiple computers.

Think about controlling a whole block (multiple houses) for a unified display.

Think about a sequence that launches other computers (not on the same local network) to run video, etc -- keyed from a master sequence.

Joe

dirknerkle
06-15-2012, 09:34 PM
Multiple houses? Tweist has about 25 he's doing this year -- wirelessly from his house... He's going to have to buy an Imax camera to take photos!!!

Only suggesting that you not ignore the idea of wireless....

kingofkya
06-15-2012, 09:36 PM
Sounds like another great feature syncing the tyming might be tricky though. Also a handy feature would be a simple socket that responds to dvr controles play pause,rewind etc. Just to alow people to trigger from a generic program/phone apps micros etc

JHinkle
06-15-2012, 09:57 PM
Sounds like another great feature syncing the tyming might be tricky though. Also a handy feature would be a simple socket that responds to dvr controles play pause,rewind etc. Just to alow people to trigger from a generic program/phone apps micros etc

I will be able to get synchronization down to 50 to 100 msec - I do similar things today in other applications.

Joe

charleskerr
06-15-2012, 11:42 PM
One doesn't really need the complete sequencer on the remote computers. Just a port to USB forwarder (to forward data dongles on the remote machines). On the sequencer/player, it would just be another type of dongle (an ethernet port and channel count). On the remote machine, a simple remote code that could just read the ethernet port, and format it for the usb.

Unless you need to do other things.

JHinkle
06-16-2012, 06:47 AM
One doesn't really need the complete sequencer on the remote computers. Just a port to USB forwarder (to forward data dongles on the remote machines). On the sequencer/player, it would just be another type of dongle (an ethernet port and channel count). On the remote machine, a simple remote code that could just read the ethernet port, and format it for the usb.

Unless you need to do other things.

Your post implies I am sending sequence information. That is not what I'm implementing.

I'm doing remote synchronization of sequences run on remote machines.

Joe

timon
06-17-2012, 01:15 AM
I really don't think this will be that hard to do. One way would be for all the computers involved to sync using NTP, Network Time Protocal, which would keep the computers in time sync well under 100 ms. Over the Internet it can maintain multiple systems within tens on milliseconds easily which should be fine to sync multiple light shows.

It great that the basic Internet protocols can solve the problem of syncing multiple light shows.

kingofkya
06-17-2012, 01:23 AM
I was just gonna suggest that, maybe a "Neighborhood Scheduler" rather than thinking of it in the terms of sync.

Well whatever joe does will probably work great anyways.

timon
06-17-2012, 01:49 AM
You still need to sync you but only to given points in the sequence such as the start. Unless the computers clock is really bad there shouldn't be any noticeable drift of the time code.

I agree that Joe shouldn't have any issues putting this together.

steve
06-17-2012, 02:06 AM
Sounds like a good idea and should be pretty simple to set up. You might want to consider some kind of security around that open port, though, or some smart aleck on the Internet will have fun triggering your lights remotely when you don't want them to.

kingofkya
06-17-2012, 02:57 PM
^ over thinking it. Maybe a simple sharked key but i would not take that far.