PDA

View Full Version : HLS - First Stab at USB-DMX Lynx

JHinkle
06-15-2012, 10:36 AM
This is my first stab at USB to DMX - Lynx.

I had a brief response from RJ (he's at the Academy). I still have a couple of open questions - but I made a guess at the answers.

So ... If you have a Lynx dongle - please try the interface and report back results.

Thanks.

Joe

CaptKirk
06-15-2012, 12:17 PM
We prefer to use the RPM USB-DMX around here... much more reliable and from a better source.

charleskerr
06-15-2012, 12:28 PM
What questions do you have? I interface to it all the time with the D2XXXX drivers from FTDI.

It matches what I sent you , but let me know if you need any more info.

angus40
06-15-2012, 12:38 PM
Joe

Your efforts in accomodating everyone's interests in using HLS with their specific hardware requests is greatly appreciated.
If I had a lynx dongle I would certainly test it out for you , I am certain many here have one to test out.

Thanks for your relentless efforts with updating Hls at every request.

This is really a great project to see evolve in such a short time frame , you have filled a void for many.

Cheers
Richard

angus40
06-15-2012, 12:43 PM
What questions do you have? I interface to it all the time with the D2XXXX drivers from FTDI.

The question would be does it work with Hls in the output config.

Can you test it to verify it will blink and flash light as /per a sequence ?

JHinkle
06-15-2012, 01:12 PM

Does the Lynx take the same 4 byte header that the Entec Pro Takes? If you sent me that earlier - I apologize for misplacing it.

My driver includes the header.

I'm looking for someone that has a Lynx dongle - to select the device in my output config and see if lights blink.

Thanks.

Joe

budude
06-15-2012, 01:21 PM
Does the Lynx take the same 4 byte header that the Entec Pro Takes? If you sent me that earlier - I apologize for misplacing it.

My driver includes the header.

I'm looking for someone that has a Lynx dongle - to select the device in my output config and see if lights blink.

Thanks.

Joe

Well - the Lynx dongle uses (or at least used to) the same Enttec Pro plug-in in Vixen so I'm guessing yes. I'm not sure with the new "super dongle" aspects of it with pixel support, etc...

JHinkle
06-15-2012, 01:30 PM
I believe the Vixen ports used Virtual COM.

I use the FTDI DLL for my Entec Interface - faster.

RJ stated that the Lynx does not support the DLL interface so I must use the Virtual COM.

That is the aspect I am trying to get tested.

Joe

mschell
06-15-2012, 02:06 PM
I don't think I have my Lynx dongle anymore, or I'd volunteer to test it.

I do have at least one RPM dongle lying around, but most of my output goes via E1.31 - either via DMX or Pixel gateway to the lights.

charleskerr
06-15-2012, 02:15 PM
Yes, it does.
the format for the dongle is
the following:
byte 0 - 0x7E
byte 1 - 0x06
byte 2 - 513&0xFF // Low count of the amount of data being sent - 1 Start code + 512 bytes of dmx (must be full for Lynx)
byte 3 - (513>>8)&0xFF // High word count of the data being sent
byte 4 - Start code - This must be zero for lynx dongle (it ignores the start code, but must have it in the buffer)
byte 5-517 : DMX values

The entec Pro has a closing code of 0x7F to terminate the sequence, but is not needed for the Lynx dongle

I can't test it, as I run a Mac and don't have any windows software. We talked over a few PMs on this topic.

JHinkle
06-15-2012, 02:20 PM
I don't think I have my Lynx dongle anymore, or I'd volunteer to test it.

I do have at least one RPM dongle lying around, but most of my output goes via E1.31 - either via DMX or Pixel gateway to the lights.

Mark:

Thanks - Agnus40 has already tested RPM's - works great.

Joe

CaptKirk
06-15-2012, 07:45 PM
Now THAT is good news!!

jess_her
06-16-2012, 01:37 AM
hello Joe
tried 4.s with lynx dongle with no luck. used output channel test feature.
Jess

barbotte
06-16-2012, 03:36 AM
usb dongle fail here too and i have been trying with angus for few hours lol
cheer

JHinkle
06-16-2012, 07:47 AM
I've made a change per Charles post earlier.

Please try again with version 4T or later.

Thanks Charles for the insight.

Thanks barbotte for testing.

Joe

barbotte
06-16-2012, 11:17 AM
well i try 4t and at 1 point it work but when i try to modified my sequence i could not dupkicated it and now it does not .. it actualy free the programm a lots wich mean i have to close and restart hsl but no light .. i wish i knew why it work for 1 time ,,,, but when it work i even whent to output and turn them all on to make sure they work ...when i did so they did not stay on ,, they where blinking is that what it is suppose to do ?? ... anyway i wish i could give more detail ... i even unplug everything and restart all and nothing ...i start thing i was dreaming lol
cheer and than for the good work

oh here a updated ..joe spend more than 1 hours remotely playing with my pc and i think he got it figure out so be ready for another version to fix the bug...thank againg joe
cheer

JHinkle
06-16-2012, 03:09 PM
Thanks to barbotte - Lynx should be good to go.

Joe

charleskerr
06-16-2012, 04:36 PM
What was the issue?

JHinkle
06-16-2012, 05:22 PM
I remoted into barbotte's computer and he told me if the lights blinked. After an hour or so - finially got it working.

I was told the the Direct DLL API (as I use in the other USB dongle) would not work and that it had to be virtual com (VC).

I could not get VC to work at all.

I went back to my DLL API and thanks to some of the information you (Charles) provided - got the lights to blink.

It's a bear developing code for hardware when you have no hardware on hand to test with.

Joe

angus40
06-16-2012, 05:37 PM
Joe

You are knocking off protocols left right and center . Renard, e1.31 entec pro and open . Now lynx ! all in a few short weeks this is amazing .

Just one protocol left for your Hls to support >>>>>>>> Lor .

Also Welcome to Hls Henri . I am sure you will enjoy the ease of pixel control that Joe has afforded us .

Richard

charleskerr
06-16-2012, 06:17 PM
I remoted into barbotte's computer and he told me if the lights blinked. After an hour or so - finially got it working.

I was told the the Direct DLL API (as I use in the other USB dongle) would not work and that it had to be virtual com (VC).

I could not get VC to work at all.

I went back to my DLL API and thanks to some of the information you (Charles) provided - got the lights to blink.

It's a bear developing code for hardware when you have no hardware on hand to test with.

Joe

Glad to hear it. Yea, I didn't understand why people said the D2XXX wouldn't work. It is all I have ever used with that hardware (or any FTDI chipset for that matter other then open source alternatives)

jess_her
06-16-2012, 08:52 PM
Have a newer computer now with windows 7. got rid of the old dog. anyway
Lynx dongle now works
Do have one question Joe or anybody
I still had to Identify it as com 3 / no parity /1 stop bit / 11500 baud
is this a VC port? or is it a DLL API?

Thank you Joe
Jess