PDA

View Full Version : HLS shortfall/bug

Henedce
06-04-2012, 06:27 AM
2012 is moving fast. Its now June and Im trying to decide on my sequencing software for this year. I have been leaning towards HLS until I started really playing with sequencing a full song. As i started to draw out a core routine to WiW my must have song I found a bug within HLS and a shortfall. Maybe not a huge thing but certainly a turn off for me personally as I still like to sequence to the beat etc.

The bug I found is best described in this video (not great quality but I dont deem to be a computer tech)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl1Vgk7A6uI&feature=youtu.be

As long as my sequence goes from top to bottom and left to right I can manipulate it . But if its the other way I can only change the timeline. Just a small thing I know but when I sequence I like to jump things back and forth sometimes.

Shortfall.
Pixel Planes.
While it is great to be able to dump a pixel plane effect to one channel, sometimes I would also like to be able to control certain elements of the same plane. Say on a mega tree a left right left chase. Nutcracker has come a long way (Mad props to Sean) but with the time he is putting into truly awesome effects for non timeline related effects I would like to fall back on my sequencer to pick up the slack.
If I create a pixel plane for my mega tree to load Nutcracker effects , I then cant control 1 string at a time for basic effects.

I know I emailed you about this Joe but I never heard back so thought I would add it here. ( I guess with the hundred plus emails you get a day it got sidetracked)

JHinkle
06-04-2012, 06:59 AM
Henedce:

Sorry - I never received a PM or email on the topic of your post.

I don't see a bug in what you describe - I see my design intent.

When you are designing with an effect that encompasses multiple time cells - there has to be a definition of intent.

If you select the left cell of the effect - you are moving it on the time line. If you select the right cell of the effect - you are changing its size.

I think what you are referring to as a bug is trying to move the effect (not re-size it) by the right hand cell. If that is true - how does one decide what your intent is? --- movement or resizing. I chose the the process with minimum mouse clicks.

The intent of a pixel plane is so a user can take an effect - designed outside of HLS - and apply it to a managed sequence with minimal channel count impact (1 viewable channel verses hundreds).

If your intent is to design a "Pixel Plane" effect with HLS - the suggested way is to not use a Pixel Plane but to add the required number of RGB channels - then you have full control. If that is so - I can look into populating hundreds of normal RGB channels (not a Pixel Plane) from an external designed effect (example - Nutcracker effect). Once that was done - the association with the Nutcracker effect would be gone forever - you would have a massive amount of individual RGB effects - but you would be able to control one string as requested in your post.

If the intent is to tweek an Pixel Plane effect a little - I can look into making that available. There would be limitations because the resulting changes would be placed back into an Pixel Plane effect structure - not maintained as an RGB effect.

Joe

Henedce
06-04-2012, 07:55 AM
I should have added . This is from my perspective only.

If you select the left cell of the effect - you are moving it on the time line. If you select the right cell of the effect - you are changing its size.

Ok let me see if I can clarify this better.
From the 39 second mark in the video, I cannot select the effect if I start at the bottom.
Once selected at the 53 second mark I can move the selection left or right no problem as per the 1.00 minute mark.
But I cant resize it as at 1.06 minute mark .

Again Im not a computer tech . I can only add my thoughts based on what I personally want from my 2012 sequencer.
Option 1: would be

If your intent is to design a "Pixel Plane" effect with HLS - the suggested way is to not use a Pixel Plane but to add the required number of RGB channels - then you have full control. If that is so - I can look into populating hundreds of normal RGB channels (not a Pixel Plane) from an external designed effect (example - Nutcracker effect). Once that was done - the association with the Nutcracker effect would be gone forever - you would have a massive amount of individual RGB effects - but you would be able to control one string as requested in your post.
Option 2: would be the capability to have 2 different raw channels assigned to 1 output . IE: Pixel plane of 50 Pixels addressed as Universe 101 Channels 1 -150 , Then 5 smaller planes addressed as Universe 101 Channels 1 - 30, 31 - 60, 61 - 90 , 91 - 120 , 121 -150. This would allow the user to chose if they want to set up their channels to apply basic effects to the same pixel based display while allowing rgb fades etc still using your effects engine.

angus40
06-04-2012, 10:54 AM
Sean did add the ability to control 1 string on your mega tree , the spin effect . You can define the # of strings from 1 - tree total you select cw or ccw and also vertical or horizontal.

this was added about 1 week ago.

JHinkle
06-04-2012, 02:40 PM
I should have added . This is from my perspective only.

Ok let me see if I can clarify this better.
From the 39 second mark in the video, I cannot select the effect if I start at the bottom.
Once selected at the 53 second mark I can move the selection left or right no problem as per the 1.00 minute mark.
But I cant resize it as at 1.06 minute mark .

Again Im not a computer tech . I can only add my thoughts based on what I personally want from my 2012 sequencer.
Option 1: would be

Option 2: would be the capability to have 2 different raw channels assigned to 1 output . IE: Pixel plane of 50 Pixels addressed as Universe 101 Channels 1 -150 , Then 5 smaller planes addressed as Universe 101 Channels 1 - 30, 31 - 60, 61 - 90 , 91 - 120 , 121 -150. This would allow the user to chose if they want to set up their channels to apply basic effects to the same pixel based display while allowing rgb fades etc still using your effects engine.

The Bottom up selection processed has been implemented. Never occurred to me someone would select that way. Watch for release 4I out in the next day or 2.

I just can't wrap my head around your requested option #2.

I will implement requested option #1 - same release in a day or 2.

Joe

Henedce
06-05-2012, 05:43 AM
Sean did add the ability to control 1 string on your mega tree , the spin effect . You can define the # of strings from 1 - tree total you select cw or ccw and also vertical or horizontal.

this was added about 1 week ago.

Im well aware that function has been added. But to get a chase back and forward across a megatree you still need to edit it. In all examples I have created and run to a tree , not a preview or just looked at in a sequence window but to an actual mega tree, to make it clean I had to edit each effect manually. Something I can do in Vixen 2.1.x.x but in reality it is quicker just to manually create the effect, save it as a routine and load as required. The only catch being RGB becomes a pain.

Hence to create basic chases rather than rely on a Nutcracker / whatever , it would be far simpler to manually create the effect using a sub plane within your main tree.

Using Vixen 3.0 as an example I can have my megatree split into multiple sub groups I can have 1 tree @ 1008 pixels , 24 strings @ 42 vertical pixels , 42 strings @ 24 horizontal pixels etc etc . It then allows me to create chases fades etc over any axis in the sub groups or over the complete tree without relying on an external program that may or may not create what I am after without editing.

Again these are only my thoughts , I still like to create my sequencers to the beat etc and will be again this year.

JHinkle
06-05-2012, 03:07 PM
Im well aware that function has been added. But to get a chase back and forward across a megatree you still need to edit it. In all examples I have created and run to a tree , not a preview or just looked at in a sequence window but to an actual mega tree, to make it clean I had to edit each effect manually. Something I can do in Vixen 2.1.x.x but in reality it is quicker just to manually create the effect, save it as a routine and load as required. The only catch being RGB becomes a pain.

Hence to create basic chases rather than rely on a Nutcracker / whatever , it would be far simpler to manually create the effect using a sub plane within your main tree.

Using Vixen 3.0 as an example I can have my megatree split into multiple sub groups I can have 1 tree @ 1008 pixels , 24 strings @ 42 vertical pixels , 42 strings @ 24 horizontal pixels etc etc . It then allows me to create chases fades etc over any axis in the sub groups or over the complete tree without relying on an external program that may or may not create what I am after without editing.

Again these are only my thoughts , I still like to create my sequencers to the beat etc and will be again this year.

Henedce:

View this post: http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?20719-HLS-New-PixelPlane-Capability-Expand-Edit-Compress-Effects&p=210657#post210657

Version 4J has the ability to select from the bottom up and also allows Nutcracker effects to be fully modified.

Enjoy.

Joe