PDA

View Full Version : lights on a wire frame

JasonPortwood
05-20-2012, 05:44 PM
I have a 3 channel 3D star that for the last two years was rope light (Incandescent). This year I want to switch it to LED.

Should I use M5 or M6 lights or is the LED rope light a good option for the stars? I have M5's I could test with and the measure 4" long total. How long are the M6 lights?

Do I just put the lights one after the other along the frame or is there any tricks I should know about.

Thank you,

Jason

Jack Stevens
05-21-2012, 09:31 AM
That's going to be all personal choice there. If you like the way the incan rope light looked, go with LED rope light.

Santacarl
05-21-2012, 04:52 PM
I use M5 LEDs on my 3D star. I use clips that are 2 sided...one side clips onto the Wire of the star.....then you clip the light into the other side..... That being said....the 1 BIG thing I learned....... Zip tie the lites into the clips...... My star is on top of my 20 foot mega tree and you can't get to them if need be.... I didn't have any problems with them popping out on their own or due to weather.....but after I raised the tree I accidently dislodged a few lights when I reached up with a pole to attach additional stringers to the hooks just below the star..... Oops....:ohmy:

I liked the looks of the M5's.... I didn't want to have to deal with LED rope lights due to the lengths needed versus having to cut them to fit..... While the M5's don't give you quite as continuous a look as a rope would....from a distance they look fine....