PDA

View Full Version : True load of lights

biffklg
01-03-2008, 11:10 PM
I have looked but did not find anything on this board about the load of a single 100ct strand of lights (in the usa). The papers that are attched to the strings I just purchased at walmart say they are 3amps fuses. I am going to assume that they actually use much less than that as it also says you can connect 3 together. So is it safe to say that 1 strand uses 1 amp or does it actually use even less?
Thanks

Trepidati0n
01-03-2008, 11:14 PM
Actually much less. Go to planetchristmas.com

They have a power calculator that is pretty spot on.

Frankz
01-04-2008, 12:29 AM
according to this:
http://www.planetchristmas.com/FigurePower.htm
a standard string of 100 mini's uses 0.33amps.
That's figuring 40watts total for the string, divided by 120volts, = 0.33amps. 40/120=0.33

Walden
01-04-2008, 02:22 PM
so you can actualy hook 9 together and still not blow the fuse?

P. Short
01-04-2008, 02:31 PM
The Target energy-saving minis use even less - about .17A each. But follow the label on the box/string for how many to hook up end-to-end.

--

Phil

Pwmcguire
07-24-2009, 05:00 PM
I Have always been concerned about the amperage, not necessarly on each channel. I now have 3 dedicated 20 amp sources I will be using for my lights.
It has been acceptable on my static display and my first animated display will use most of my old static display lights with a few additions. I have some elements that will be on all of the time, inflatables. To keep from maxing out my outlet I have created this amp meter for about 40 bucks, here are some pictures, There is an extra power supply for the meter inside, the shunt, the plug and the meter. It is all crammed in a 4.5 X 4.5 electrical 4 gang outlet box. It is a 50 amp meter. It can be use for all my amperage measurements. A clamp on ammeter would be a bit more difficult to use because some wires are connected together like spt-2
:idea: :D

Wayne J
07-24-2009, 05:28 PM
WOW!! That's pretty cool! Maybe show us how you did that.

I use a clamp on meter. To get around the SPT-2 issue, I just took one of my 6' extension cords and split it to use for measuring.

kostyun
07-24-2009, 06:32 PM
Very nice! I plan on tapping in a few "larger" amp meters into my large panel this year (I hope)

Pwmcguire
07-24-2009, 07:19 PM
That would be cool to watch a digital display of amps on your service while your light show was going on. I purchased mine from sure-electronics.com they do not have anything larger than 100 amps. I started out not wanting to put to much money into this, but ended up spending about the cost of a cheap clamp on ammeter. It was fun building it.

Capt'n Jack
07-24-2009, 08:24 PM
Very Nice! Is it a kit or just parts? Want more info!

Pwmcguire
07-24-2009, 11:20 PM
It's just parts I put together. I got the 50 amp meter here. www.sureelectronics.net/goods.php?id=30 , look around the site if you need something different. I paid $18.00 from ebay. It's a little cheaper here on their website. It comes with a shunt. I picked up the box, the outlet, plug and the cover at Lowe's. The box is 4.5 X 4.5 with 1 conduit hole. I opened the the conduit hole with a die grinder there is an inner and an outter ring, I ground out the inner ring. The outter ring is a perfect fit for the plug. Find the cheapest two piece round male plug. I changed the screws to pan head wood screws so they would screw into the plastic left in the back of the hole. I opened the back of the hole wider so it did not interfere with the wire coming off the back of the plug. I picked up a 5 volt cell phone charger at Goodwill. It turned out that it put out 8 volts. I used a 5 volt regulator to get it to 5 volts to power the meter. (They also have meter's powered by 12 volts.) I got the smallest charger possible. I had to take it out of it's plastic cover to fit in the electrical box. I screwed it in the corner under the outlet and used some hot melt glue to keep it in place. I took the shunt and cut the ends of the insulator that it is mounted on, ground a little off the back and slid it sideways so that it is facing toward the center of the box between two screw bosses in the box. They run from the bottom of the box to the face of the box, one to hold the screws for the outlet and one to hold the screw for the faceplate. You can see it in the picture. It is just held in place by friction it needs to be a tight fit. It is placed under the meter. I cut the hole for the meter out of a double outlet cover and installed it in the cover, after I got everything to fit, I wired it up and closed it up. By the way the difference in the reading on the meter in the two pictures is because the one yellow light out of the packaging was loose and not on in the the lower reading.

tjetzer
07-24-2009, 11:23 PM
I have looked but did not find anything on this board about the load of a single 100ct strand of lights (in the usa). The papers that are attched to the strings I just purchased at walmart say they are 3amps fuses. I am going to assume that they actually use much less than that as it also says you can connect 3 together. So is it safe to say that 1 strand uses 1 amp or does it actually use even less?
Thanks

Take a look at this http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6406