PDA

View Full Version : Any tips to wrap Incan lights and pack for next yr

ritztech
05-05-2012, 02:59 PM
Like all of us I have about 400 stands of incans

Anyone have any methods or tools to use to wrap up lights should I wrap each one one by one and wrap like I bought them or use a roller or use a hanging method (could be to roomy)

Or get some totes

What do you peeps do ;)

Thanks

ailgup
05-05-2012, 03:09 PM
I personally use the "ball" method.
Sorta like this http://ohhappyday.com/2010/12/pro-tip-christmas-lights-stored-in-a-ball/
I got the idea from one of the guys here at DIYC's site but i forget where.

Aka, start with female end and wrap them in a sphere until i get to the male end which I plug into the female end. Then I throw them in a bin. They never tangle, are super easy to take apart and are one of the most space economical ways to store them. I have used spools, and wrapper things, but i find this one works the best, and requires no tools. I do one string per ball since they are for a mega tree, but you could do as many as you wanted to save a little time.

Wayne J
05-05-2012, 03:42 PM
yep... ball method is the best!

ritztech
05-05-2012, 08:29 PM
cooolio, thanks I'll give that a shot

thanks

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

bblumka
05-05-2012, 09:27 PM
No spools? I was going to start collecting them from work so I can put extrension cords and lights on them. hmmmmm

tjetzer
05-05-2012, 09:48 PM
I too prefer the "ball" method. It's quick and easy during take down and set up. I highly recommend it!

Jack Stevens
05-06-2012, 12:28 PM
I also use the ball method. I did use the spools in the past; had more tangles using that method, plus the spools take up too much room.

Same thing with the extension cords.

dmcole
05-06-2012, 05:17 PM
I personally use the "ball" method.

+1

No spools? I was going to start collecting them from work so I can put extrension cords and lights on them. hmmmmm

Back when I was on the AV Squad in high school (and no snickering ... I'm sure more than one of the readers of these posts was on the AV Squad), the school's AV tech taught me how to handle power and microphone cables: like rope.

This guy had been a horseman most of his life and knew how to handle rope. He always said you should coil extension cords and mic cords like they were rope, twist and loop, twist and loop, and then take the last few feet and cinch the coil in the middle.

I know construction guys coil extension cords in those nifty braids that come undone elegantly, but I've always coiled cords the way I was taught about, uh, 40 years ago (now that can't be ... I'm only 35).

\dmc

Jack Stevens
05-07-2012, 09:31 AM
+1

Back when I was on the AV Squad in high school (and no snickering ... I'm sure more than one of the readers of these posts was on the AV Squad), the school's AV tech taught me how to handle power and microphone cables: like rope.

This guy had been a horseman most of his life and knew how to handle rope. He always said you should coil extension cords and mic cords like they were rope, twist and loop, twist and loop, and then take the last few feet and cinch the coil in the middle.

I know construction guys coil extension cords in those nifty braids that come undone elegantly, but I've always coiled cords the way I was taught about, uh, 40 years ago (now that can't be ... I'm only 35).

\dmc

Those braids probably cause a lot of metal and insulation fatigue. Really long cords I tend to coil; mid to long cords I wrap around my elbow/hand, and short cords ai wrap around my hand.

Whatever method you use, just watch how you stress the wires. Most of the sockets used in mini's are cheap and can't handle much stress without failing.

Materdaddy
05-07-2012, 01:14 PM
For lights, I also use the ball method. I then throw them in small $20 trash cans on the side yard. One of the easiest things to store outside and the cans keep them from being in the elements all year long.

jcross
05-07-2012, 02:06 PM
I use either the over-under technique for light gauge power cords and the figure-8 method for larger gauge power cords. No stress on the wires and you can "walk away" with one end and the cable lays flat. Of course this will not work nicely with sockets on the wire.

Wayne J
05-07-2012, 02:25 PM
For lights, I also use the ball method. I then throw them in small $20 trash cans on the side yard. One of the easiest things to store outside and the cans keep them from being in the elements all year long.

Now that is a great way to store stuff and not take up any storage space!

CaptKirk
05-07-2012, 03:34 PM
If the weather is bad during takedown I use the "stuff them in a tangle in a big plastic tub and deal with it next year" method. If the weather is nice- HEY, I use the same technique!! :wow:

Ok, in reality, if the element does not have a way to wrap the lights to it or leave the lights on it (aka mini-trees), I usually end up cutting a smallish "bone" shape out of cardboard and wrap the wire around those. A slot in the end lets you secure the start and end of the string. No tangling this way. With my semi-MegaTree, I did the hand wrap into almost a ball and then wire tied to the bottom hoop of the tree (the bottom of my lights, by design, end up 3-4' off the ground on a 40' circumerence loop of PVC pipe)