PDA

View Full Version : the ultimate tree

dougd
05-02-2012, 11:01 PM
I ran accross this tree tonite, I had never seen it before. http://www.theultimatetree.com/

It got me thinking this would be a great tree to build. Sean, do you thing a model could be built for nutcracker?

I have drawn out so many plans on what I want to do with my pixels, I thought I had settled on a matrix but now I see this. If a model could be built that would be awsome.

boyelroy11
05-02-2012, 11:04 PM
That thing is something else. It's very "techie" and not overly "Christmasy" but we still go see it every year :) Incredibly bright, and much like watching a low res tv screen.

Bruce

smeighan
05-03-2012, 12:09 AM
I ran accross this tree tonite, I had never seen it before. http://www.theultimatetree.com/

It got me thinking this would be a great tree to build. Sean, do you thing a model could be built for nutcracker?

I have drawn out so many plans on what I want to do with my pixels, I thought I had settled on a matrix but now I see this. If a model could be built that would be awsome.

target model would not be difficult. it would take some time so i would want to make sure there is an audience for that type of target.

See this thread where there is discussion about making boards similar to what u see in the video
http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?20327-Interest-in-RGB-Pixel-Node-Mounting-Boards-for-Matrix-Scrolling-Screen-Style-Elements

timon
05-03-2012, 06:24 AM

I've been looking at this for quite a awhile and have already looked into the issues in sequencing it under LSP and have already ask Sean to look into handling it in Nutcracker. The next issues are finalizing the grid and mounting enclosure and I have almost have those worked out. There are also issues with pixel sizes to make it look good and I've been talking with Ray about that.

Don't want to say much more incase it doesn't pan out but I hope to have something in the next week or so.

Sean, after looking at some of the pixel mapping issue I do have an idea or two on mapping. Let me get it on paper and to you in the next couple of days.

That's my story for now and I'm sticking to it.

John

dougd
05-03-2012, 09:36 AM
This tree was the wrong thing to find at 10:30 last night right before bed, needless to say I didnt sleep well. I think I can use GECE's for this type of tree. What I drew up on paper ended up being about 630 pixels, which 1 E681 board would handle. By this weekend I hope to have the tree drawn out in the visualizer. I am going to set up a matrix in nutcraker like the tree was square to create some effects to see what it will look like.

smeighan
05-03-2012, 11:22 AM
This tree was the wrong thing to find at 10:30 last night right before bed, needless to say I didnt sleep well. I think I can use GECE's for this type of tree. What I drew up on paper ended up being about 630 pixels, which 1 E681 board would handle. By this weekend I hope to have the tree drawn out in the visualizer. I am going to set up a matrix in nutcraker like the tree was square to create some effects to see what it will look like.

That a very good way to do it.

Generaly the effects on nutcracker need vertical strands populated with pixels.

My internal structure is strand 1 starts on the left, pixel 1 on each strand is at the top. I have a mapping file to get any objects strands and pixels to map to my internal form. This file is created for you when you run the target generator. You could build this file yourself.

So if you build a complicated target, i just need a mapping file that gets me back to vertical strands with pixels.

There is one other caveat, every strand in nutcracker has the same pixel count.

I think you could give me a mapping file where you would use a dummy pixel .

Let me give an example. x's indicate where you have a pixel.

..x..
.xxx.
xxxxx

Here is a 5 strand by 3 pixel device. of the 15 potential pixels, you are only using 9 of them.

The mapping file is my strand and pixel number maps to your string and pixel

my strands start at the left , the top of the device is my pixel#1

Here is one way the mapping file might be built.

strand pixel string pixel
1 1 maps to your string,pixel 1 99
1 2 1 99
1 3 1 1
2 1 1 99
2 2 1 3
2 3 1 2
3 1 1 4

.etc.

i think it is fine in DMX to send out signals that nothing will respond to (string 1 pixel 99 in the above).
All nutcracker effects should still work.

timon
05-04-2012, 12:09 AM
Sean,

Sent you an e-mail on this topic.