PDA

View Full Version : New Mini Tree Design

Henedce
04-23-2012, 07:12 AM
Been looking through the threads on here and seeing a lot of people disgruntled with using tomato cages etc for their mini trees.
No uniform shape
Modifiying and rewelding to get a conical shape
GFI faults (forgive me if I got the acronym wrong. I'm an Aussie)
Etc Etc.
Reading tonight it came to me.A simple method to resolve all these issues using a simple piece of Corflute , Coroplast or whatever your locale calls it .

Draw out on your corflute whatever size you require your mini tree to be as below . The off cuts are important so dont try save space by turning one upside down.
Cut half way up and down on your center lines to whatever thickness your corflute is . My scrap piece was 5 mm thick. (Just remember all those balsa models you built as a kid)
Slot them together as below
This is where the off cuts come in, place them in each corner to give your tree more body. Hot glue them in place ( I didnt go past this step as its only a concept)
Top view
Side view

Wrap with lights. I will leave it here as this is not the way I'm going this year. Was simply an idea that popped into my head. :)

IdunBenhad
04-23-2012, 09:52 AM
Hi:
Good idea.
Using diagonal cutters, small slots could be cut into the ribs to hold the wire/lights in place.

This idea could be also be used with thin plywood and painted, but the Coroplast is probably cheaper. Or should I say, lower in cost?

Henedce
04-29-2012, 03:33 AM
Rather than start a new thread will just tack onto this one.
My newest mini tree design is a 3D RGB corflute tree as below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K3xghO4els&feature=youtu.be

Photos in daylight plus plan.
I marked out a 4ft by 3ft piece of corflute using a protractor as below. 15 degrees for each line. Then just measured along each line 2ft and marked out the base then tab lines.
Each piece of corflute makes 2 trees

Below is the cutout scored and with the tabs trimmed ready for assembly.

I then cut a hexagon with slightly smaller edges then my base lengths. As Im using pixels that my have water ingress problems I made a second platform to raise them off the ground. Finished item will be hot glued not taped (still waiting on plugs).

So i can flat store these i drilled holes where the 2 edges meet so I can cable tie them together. Any gap can be touch up with white electrical tape come assembly time.

Insert base, fold tabs over then I inserted some small screws to hold it all together.

I'm pretty happy with the end result :) So just 12 - 20 more to make .

Matt_Edwards
04-29-2012, 05:47 AM
That is very impressive considering the tree has only 6 pixels.

bert-nc
04-29-2012, 08:27 AM
impressive!!

bert-nc

Traneman
04-29-2012, 09:28 AM
I have been playing with coro as well,I dont like the fact you can see the ribs.

Is there a special coro you are using?

Thanks

boarder3
04-29-2012, 10:04 AM
This is great im gonna try to make one. If your only using 5 pixels to do thats great i could cut 5 pixels and extend to next mini and get like 10 trees from one string.

jpb
04-29-2012, 11:17 PM
I have been playing with coro as well,I dont like the fact you can see the ribs.

Thanks

I found that moving the light source further away from the coro helps in hiding the ribs. They are still noticable if you look for them but most viewers will not be a critical as us.

Jon

Henedce
04-29-2012, 11:42 PM

Jon pretty much covered it. I use 1/8th rather than 1/4 though as I find the ribs are closer together.

Matt_Edwards
04-30-2012, 02:03 AM
Jon,
Slightly off topic, where do you recommend I source some coro locally?
I want to have a go at replacing my fiber optic trees.
Matthew

I found that moving the light source further away from the coro helps in hiding the ribs. They are still noticable if you look for them but most viewers will not be a critical as us.

Jon

Henedce
04-30-2012, 06:44 AM
I priced from several places. Most signwriters etc seem to use 5 or 6mm corflute. I happened across 3mm at Bunnings for $6 something for a 1200 x 900 sheet. At 2 trees per sheet and 10 stars per sheet I think I will just buy from Bunnings. I only need around 15 - 20 sheets so not worth my time to chase around for price. I also find the ribs are closer together in the 3mm so less noticeable. For some display items like my window luminaries where Im not relying on through lighting I recycle old for sale signs , I have a deal with my local real estate agent, he brings me old signs I buy him a beer at the RSL raffles on Friday nights :).

jpb
04-30-2012, 11:55 PM
Jon,
Matthew

http://www.reversegarbage.org.au/shopping.html

They have all sorts of interesting stuff.

Jon

mattrob
05-27-2012, 01:47 AM
I really like this coroplast design! I was just trying to rethink metal mini-trees and this may have just be the answer!

RobertB
12-13-2012, 10:28 PM
I know this is an old post, but actually ran across this when I was trying to "re-imagine" my mini trees for next year.
What a fantastic Henedce! Did you follow through for this design for your current Christmas setup? Do you have any videos? I was wanting to possibly try some RGB dumb strips, but this looks better.

I have a grid setup that I really don't want to get rid of. It is right up against the road and really adds to the display;
(http://burtonchristmaslights.weebly.com/uploads/2/9/0/9/2909071/8225376_orig.jpg if that doesn't come through)
I am still considering using the dumb strips for the grid. Acts like the extension cord for the mini tree itself as well.

Any pictures, videos and design advice would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,
Robert
www.burtonchristmaslights.tk

Livermore-Dad
12-13-2012, 11:11 PM
Henedce,

Love much of your stuff. Thanks for sharing. I did look for your star(s) build, how you made those but couldn't find it. But really neat stuff!

Tory

Henedce
12-14-2012, 04:33 AM
I know this is an old post, but actually ran across this when I was trying to "re-imagine" my mini trees for next year.
What a fantastic Henedce! Did you follow through for this design for your current Christmas setup? Do you have any videos? I was wanting to possibly try some RGB dumb strips, but this looks better.

I plan on moving forward with this next year . I ended up using the pixels for these for my eaves instead and my budget pretty much ran dry to buy more .

I did look for your star(s) build, how you made those but couldn't find it. But really neat stuff!
Build is here (http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?20345-Twinkle-Twinkle-Little-Star) not a lot of detail but very simple build . And thankyou for the compliment :)

MrChristmas2000
01-06-2013, 06:59 PM
How would you tie these down to prevent wind from blowing them over?

twooly
01-07-2013, 08:37 AM
I'm building a wood base Ill screw the coro tree to and then Ill have rebar in the ground holding the wood base.

jonwal1
01-11-2013, 06:53 PM
The trees are awesome ! I would have to find a way to keep them from being burried in the snow.

callen360
03-19-2013, 12:14 PM
Jon,
Matthew

I am able to get mine from supplier in Dallas Texas, ALLIED Plastics, 18-20 per sheet. Just called, they may have a local warehouse or referral.

callen360
03-19-2013, 12:24 PM
OK here is my mock up for the plan, want to do 10-20 of these and I can get 3 to a sheet of 4mm 60" x 120" white corplast. All ideas and criticism welcome.

callen360
03-19-2013, 12:24 PM
It is cut as a single piece with six sides, and one overlaps for structure, makes a 5 sided tree.

callen360
03-19-2013, 12:26 PM
https://plus.google.com/photos/114005220452070307616/albums/5857089732239209713

MrChristmas2000
03-19-2013, 03:57 PM
It is cut as a single piece with six sides, and one overlaps for structure, makes a 5 sided tree.

Is that with the 3mm coroplast sheets? If so was your supplier a local or national supplier? If national what is their name please.

Thanks,

Tom

callen360
03-20-2013, 09:20 AM
That was for 4mm sheets 60" x 120" and I was quoted $18.00 ea, from Allied Plastics in Dallas, TX, dont know if they have a nationwide coverage or not.

dmoore
05-14-2013, 02:52 PM
At the request of a number of people for a "cone" style mini-tree, we at HolidayCoro have produced a final prototype that uses this design a starting point and improves on it in several ways:

* An easy to disconnect top/base that allows for stacked storage
* Allows the use of the following light types: RGB 12mm Nodes (up to 8), RGB rectangle modules (3, 6 or 9), 100 mini lights (LED/Incandescent), C7 (up to 3) and C9 (up to 3)
* 13.7" wide at the base, 35" Tall
* A black coro base that prevents light scatter and provides a raised base for people with grass or snow conditions
* A reinforced base to cone connection (optional) for people that live in high wind locations
* A simple, ultra-low cost staking system
* Vertical fluting on the front face of the cone
* Designed and cut on a CNC machine to exacting tollerances
* Total first time assembly is about 5-15 minutes depending on the type of lights used

I'll follow up with a link in the next day or so and offer a intro discount for DIYC people.

Here is a pre-production version showing a white base (the production unit has black):
http://www.holidaycoro.com/v/vspfiles/photos/115-2.jpg

dmoore
05-18-2013, 11:01 PM
We've finally completed all the assembly videos and product descriptions. You can the new HexaTree here:

http://www.holidaycoro.com/HexaTree-p/115.htm

Here is the video showing it in operation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2xnIgQdh7s

Thanks,
David

dmoore
05-18-2013, 11:02 PM
Here is the video showing how the assembly works:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c2PrZYjFU0

budude
05-19-2013, 12:02 AM
Very well thought out design there David - or should I say King O'Coro...

dmcole
05-19-2013, 06:25 PM
Dave:

Very nice. They'll give me pause about what I should do for minitrees this year.

\dmc

dmoore
05-20-2013, 12:08 AM
Very well thought out design there David - or should I say King O'Coro...

Thanks!

dmoore
05-26-2013, 04:04 PM
We received a number of requests for a smaller version, sort of like huge C9's, for creating a "border" around sidewalks and driveways and so the HexaTree Jr was born. Here are it's specs:

* 10" Base x 20.5" Tall (2.7" tall base with 17.5" diffuser cone)
* Can take up to 6 RGB 12mm Nodes or 2 rectangle RGB modules (pixel or dumb/basic)
* Priced as low as $6.99 per tree!

More information can be found at: http://www.holidaycoro.com/HexaTree-Jr-p/116.htm

Assembly Video:

http://youtu.be/qOoAqWkt-dA

slugg
11-27-2016, 01:05 AM
People in my neighborhood said these looked like KKK hats, so I had to take them down. I got zero seasons out of them. Awesome. Leave it to a bunch of jerks to ruin it for everyone.

timstreet
11-27-2016, 01:17 AM
People in my neighborhood said these looked like KKK hats, so I had to take them down. I got zero seasons out of them. Awesome. Leave it to a bunch of jerks to ruin it for everyone.

That sucks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slugg
11-27-2016, 01:57 AM
That sucks! How many do you have and are you willing to sell them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 10 HexaTree Jrs and 5 HexaTrees. I'm only willing to sell them once I can come up with a plan B. I'm all out of pigtails, wire, and nodes. My best bet is to keep the bases as-is and replace or modify the tops. I may cut them to have a flat top instead of the point. I hope it looks okay; I'm out of extra time and resources.

pmiller
12-26-2016, 12:07 AM
I have 10 HexaTree Jrs and 5 HexaTrees. I'm only willing to sell them once I can come up with a plan B. I'm all out of pigtails, wire, and nodes. My best bet is to keep the bases as-is and replace or modify the tops. I may cut them to have a flat top instead of the point. I hope it looks okay; I'm out of extra time and resources.
Need to figure out how to use a small coro star on top.

We received a number of requests for a smaller version, sort of like huge C9's, for creating a "border" around sidewalks and driveways and so the HexaTree Jr was born. Here are it's specs:

* 10" Base x 20.5" Tall (2.7" tall base with 17.5" diffuser cone)
* Can take up to 6 RGB 12mm Nodes or 2 rectangle RGB modules (pixel or dumb/basic)
* Priced as low as $6.99 per tree!

More information can be found at: http://www.holidaycoro.com/HexaTree-Jr-p/116.htm

Assembly Video:

http://youtu.be/qOoAqWkt-dA

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

ezellner
01-15-2017, 01:11 PM
Post deleted.

Merlenemiranda
04-19-2017, 09:13 AM
Wow!! Interesting.

Merlenemiranda
04-20-2017, 01:26 AM
I have made a mini tree using thermocol.
1. Cut the thermocol in different sizes, then wrap them it gift wrappers.
2. Place the thermocol pieces according to the height in the shape of a Christmas tree.