PDA

View Full Version : Cat 5

GRIMMII
12-29-2007, 08:30 AM
Do most of you make your own Cat 5 cables. I figured if I bought a box of wire, a crimper, and a bunch of ends I could make them all to length. Just wanted to hear some thoughts.

Macrosill
12-29-2007, 09:35 AM
I have not heard of anyone buying pre-made cables.

pixeldigger
12-29-2007, 10:44 AM
As Brian said, I think we ALL make our own.

The only ones I buy are 6' cords at "Everythings a Dollar".
$1 for a premade 6' cord is fine by me when I need a short piece.

Things I do when making my own cables:
1: ALWAYS follow a standard for your ends (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_5_cable). Its just easier in the end, and then you can use that for a PC cable later if needed. (I memorized OrangeWhite, Orange, GreenWhite,Blue, BlueWhite, Green, BrownWhite, Brown in class and never looked back)

2:ALWAYS make sure the ends are cut straight and pushed ALL THE WAY in before crimping.

3: get, or make, a tester. Its a whole lot easier to fix a cable when you make it, rather than when a channel doesn't work later.

XmasInGalt
12-29-2007, 12:35 PM
I bought my box of cable (1,000 ft) from ebay and it came with the crimper and a cable tester. Otherwise, you can buy the testers for about $5 on ebay. The tester saved me hour of frustration when I found that I crimped a couple of wires in the wrong order.

Toaster
12-30-2007, 02:14 AM
As Brian said, I think we ALL make our own.

The only ones I buy are 6' cords at "Everythings a Dollar".
$1 for a premade 6' cord is fine by me when I need a short piece.

Things I do when making my own cables:
1: ALWAYS follow a standard for your ends (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_5_cable). Its just easier in the end, and then you can use that for a PC cable later if needed. (I memorized OrangeWhite, Orange, GreenWhite,Blue, BlueWhite, Green, BrownWhite, Brown in class and never looked back)

2:ALWAYS make sure the ends are cut straight and pushed ALL THE WAY in before crimping.

3: get, or make, a tester. Its a whole lot easier to fix a cable when you make it, rather than when a channel doesn't work later.

Yep, same here. I went through over 1000 ft this year... We had a sweatshop over here during Nov... The wife now makes CAT5 cable better than anyone else in the house! And she too now remembers OW, O, GW, B, BW, G, BRW, BR :D pretty funny...

@A3: Tester? what tester!? :shock:

BTW: Ssshhhh! I know I'm gonna get flamed for this, but I run power through CAT5 too...................... I KNOW I'M NOT SUPPOSED TO.... But it works and its cheap PLUS I had it! :oops:

GRIMMII
12-30-2007, 07:05 AM
Power? Do you mean 5 V?

wjohn
12-30-2007, 07:33 AM
he could ONLY mean 5 V or 12 V.

certainly not 110V.

ben
12-30-2007, 10:25 AM
he could ONLY mean 5 V or 12 V.

certainly not 110V.

that could be fun ;) Magic smoke........ RISE!!

Ben