PDA

View Full Version : Newbie starting to wonder about Vixen 3.0, bad idea?

Javo
02-06-2012, 03:10 AM
Yea, so I'm one of the newbies asking silly questions. :biggrin:

I'm just getting my boards put together and began sequencing in Vixen 3.0. What an amazing program, love it! My only concern is am I setting myself up for problems this year? I've had no problems with the program but as I realize there isn't a way to schedule a show as of yet it occurs to me this really isn't the released end user software, it's for testing if I understand correctly. I certainly don't want to seem ungrateful, but the question in the back of my mind is what if I spend all this time sequencing songs in 3.0 and what if for some reason the "final" product doesn't get released this year? I would be in a world of hurt!

I don't understand the "final" release process. Am I somewhat safe to assume it will be released this year? Or should I move to 2.1? As I said I really like 3.0 and finally have a great understanding of how to use it but I need to be able to make a show scedule at some point don't I or am I missing something?

Thanks for the input.

Mactayl
02-06-2012, 09:45 AM
Just a word of wisdom here,, I would consider setting up all your sequences and show stuff on a stable version of Vixen like 2.1.x.x and continue exploring Vixen 3 since is in the beta stage of development. It is better to be safe and use the stable version for your final show, there is still work in progress on Vixen 3 at the moment.

dowis
02-06-2012, 10:00 AM
I second that. I am currently still sequencing in 2.1 and playing with 3.0. I hope to have both sets of sequences ready to go so I'll have 2.1 to fall back on if needed. But then I do still have last years sequences to go to in a crunch.

mcdannej
02-06-2012, 05:06 PM
Really? I know we're in beta right now, but we've got about 8 months before this has to be working correctly (or able to export a sequence to a stable version). From what I read, sequencing in 3.0 is a lot more user-friendly and faster.

kychristmas
02-06-2012, 05:30 PM
Really? I know we're in beta right now, but we've got about 8 months before this has to be working correctly (or able to export a sequence to a stable version). From what I read, sequencing in 3.0 is a lot more user-friendly and faster.

I agree, but would definitely figure on a timeline that will work for you to be able to fall back to 2.1 just in case. Call it a GO/NO GO date. That's going to be different for everyone. I decided I'm shooting for 3.0. If it doesn't work by Nov 1. I will scramble to get a new song or two added as well as update my old ones with new display items.

While I really don't feel like the product is even Beta, it far enough along that I don't see if floundering

Javo
02-06-2012, 10:12 PM
I agree, but would definitely figure on a timeline that will work for you to be able to fall back to 2.1 just in case. Call it a GO/NO GO date. That's going to be different for everyone. I decided I'm shooting for 3.0. If it doesn't work by Nov 1. I will scramble to get a new song or two added as well as update my old ones with new display items.

While I really don't feel like the product is even Beta, it far enough along that I don't see if floundering

I think that makes good sense. I also agree 3.0 seems to be working well. It took me a little time, but the light in my head (pun intended) finally came on and I get it. As a newbie, I'm just trying to tackle purchasing and assembling hardware, figuring out how to connect it all together so it works and then learn how to sequence. I just dont want to add an additional "learn how to sequence" in there. My head may explode! lol

jrock64
02-06-2012, 11:34 PM

In your dreams.
I see about 4 months tops to work out the bugs and put the new sequences together for my July4 show.

And I have not even downloaded the new beta code yet.

Ahh the thrill of being on the bleeding edge where you get to discover and solve all the problems so no one else has to.

I was there for Renard.
I was there for LEDancer.
I have been there for parts of Vixen 2.

I have complete confidence in the development team that if I can document how to reproduce an issue, they will squash it in short order.

One more, back into the meat grinder.:ninja:

Joel

Javo
02-08-2012, 01:50 AM
I hope your right on the timeline. As a newbie I just can't see me learning two different versions and then programming sequences in two different versions. I was reading about LightShowPro on another thread here in the forum and was actually starting to consider using that for this year and go with Vixen 3.? for next year. Looks like it can have some problems with Renard boards though as well as having other issues from what I read.

:hmm: What to do, what to do...

Is that smoke coming out from my ears? Oh, no, it's just smoke from soldering SSR's.

Shockwave
02-08-2012, 01:31 PM
Do what I do -- set a deadline.

Since my Halloween show doesn't need synced with music, it can continue as it has in the past couple of years. My debut of Vixen is planned for Christmas. Thus if October 1 arrives and Vixen3 isn't ready for flight, 2.5 will be used instead. If October 1 arrives and Vixen 3 can play several shows in series and is stable, then Vixen 3 will be used.

another call to make is how necessary the new version is for your style of lights. If you're principly just dimming ordinary strings then 2.5 is easy to work with. But if you do things in RGB colors then 3.0 is far far more advanced. I'd say 3.0 is going to make everything else on the planet look pathetic, commercial or not. Since I'm mainly working with RGB lights (my own stuff) V3 is lustworthy; no really, it is!

We have 1/2 a year to hammer the bugs out. If we don't pull it off, 2.5 and 2.1 are available. But if we can do it... oh the displays I have in my head that 3 will permit will be epic! Just set a deadline for when to start your actual sequences by and chose what's ready at that time. I give myself 6 weeks to do the sequences. So if you are planning a halloween debut, you should decide by Sep15.

My 1/50th of a buck.

budude
02-08-2012, 02:03 PM
ditto on just about everything. My plans as we speak today are to use Vixen 3.x for my sequencing. It would be great if some smart guy wrote a V3 to V2 converter as a backup so we don't lose anything we might have done. But in reality - I'm only fooling myself - I always wait to the last minute to do my sequencing anyway so we'll see!

ErnieHorning
02-08-2012, 03:11 PM
Weíre all in the same boat on this. Though Vixen 3.0 will be able to do some fantastic things and writing sequences maybe faster and easier, itís still in the Beta phase. Every year Iím working with something thatís not fully tested and I donít expect this year to be any different.

Just remember to backup. I typically have my sequences on two computers and a memory dongle. Sequences that are done are stored elsewhere. I lost my very first sequence that I had two weeks into, due to a bug in one of the very first Vixen Beta releases, so Iím pretty couscous now.

Zeph
02-08-2012, 03:47 PM
I lost my very first sequence that I had two weeks into, due to a bug in one of the very first Vixen Beta releases, so I’m pretty couscous now.

I guess that means you are pasta early learning problems with data loss, then.

Don'tcha love spelling correctors that mis-guess what you meant to say?

Shockwave
02-08-2012, 05:09 PM
Just as long as you keep weekly snapshots of your sauce code.

ErnieHorning
02-08-2012, 06:45 PM
Certainly one way to expand your vocabulary though.

sallz0r
02-08-2012, 11:56 PM
To give an opinion, but not an official word on it:

- We would *hope* and we *expect* that a version of 3.x would be released ready for use for this year. But, as usual, we can't guarantee anything. :-( (I know that the lack of assurance or a guarantee is annoying as all hell, but when it's only a part-time hobby, there's really no way we can commit to something definite. :-( )
- We would recommend everyone have backup option(s). If you're still with 2.x, then plan on using that, allowing the possibility to change to 3.x later on if you're comfortable with the timeframe when released. If you're using other software, maybe keep both options on the table. If you're starting off new, might be best to start with 2.x and keep an eye on 3.x. That's something everyone would have to work on themselves.
- We wouldn't know *when* a stable, release candidate version will be available. Everyone should consider that in their own backup planning; if you're the sort of person that sequences in the last few weeks of November, then you'll most likely be fine. Something should be out and available by then. If you're the sort of person that needs to begin sequencing in March, then you should consider other options for this year to make sure you can stay on track, and maybe only have 3.x as a low-chance backup option.

And, finally, to re-emphasize what we've said before: the beta is *only* a test, a trial, a sample. We've had lots of really great feedback from it, and are making a lot of changes based on what people have said, and how they want to use it. That was the point of it, and in that regard, it's been a great success. As such, the next version is likely to be fairly different in a few areas.

Because of this, we *strongly recommend* that people don't start making official plans, configurations, sequences, etc. with the 3.0 beta. Chances are good that something will change significantly enough that it will be hard to migrate from b1 to b2. By all means, test the software and give feedback -- that's what it's there for! -- but just make sure you're happy enough to throw out what you've already done for testing come the next version (or come the actual release).

Hope that helps, or provides a bit of clarification for everyone,
Cheers,
Michael

Javo
02-09-2012, 12:52 AM
Thank you for the reply sir, that was EXACTLY what I was looking for. Great job by the way, it is awesome!

Shockwave
02-09-2012, 01:18 AM
It is indeed awesome. Which is why I'm champing at the bit to deploy it for this Xmas. :)

Materdaddy
02-10-2012, 11:55 AM
I lost my very first sequence that I had two weeks into, due to a bug in one of the very first Vixen Beta releases, so I’m pretty couscous now.

I have two questions based on your post:

1. Did you report the bug to the dev team so it can be investigated and fixed?

2. Can you explain it here for the benefit of people on the forums? This way, if there's something we should avoid doing, we know what that is!

ErnieHorning
02-10-2012, 12:40 PM
1. Did you report the bug to the dev team so it can be investigated and fixed?
Well by ďvery firstĒ, I meant Vixen 0.1 or so and at the time, we were just using a forum thread. (Yeah, Iíve been around here that long. :wink:) I believe it was even back when we were using Vixen Lights as a forum.

2. Can you explain it here for the benefit of people on the forums? This way, if there's something we should avoid doing, we know what that is!
It was a mistake that when you did something (and I canít remember what anymore) that the internal memory buffer was scrambled. Once you saved the sequence, the file was no longer useable or recoverable.

It was also a mistake on my part because I know the Beta software is just that. Anything can go wrong and you have t be prepared to lose your data, the program or anything else on your harddrive. It might be OK and it might not.

mmulvenna
02-10-2012, 03:16 PM
I hope your right on the timeline. As a newbie I just can't see me learning two different versions and then programming sequences in two different versions. I was reading about LightShowPro on another thread here in the forum and was actually starting to consider using that for this year and go with Vixen 3.? for next year. Looks like it can have some problems with Renard boards though as well as having other issues from what I read.

:hmm: What to do, what to do...

Is that smoke coming out from my ears? Oh, no, it's just smoke from soldering SSR's.

If configured properly there are absolutely no problems with Renard boards in LSP that I am aware of. Can someone explain what the issue with Renards in LSP is?
I have used them for 3 years in LSP without an issue.

Materdaddy
02-10-2012, 05:45 PM
Well by “very first”, I meant Vixen 0.1 or so and at the time, we were just using a forum thread. (Yeah, I’ve been around here that long. :wink:) I believe it was even back when we were using Vixen Lights as a forum.

It was a mistake that when you did something (and I can’t remember what anymore) that the internal memory buffer was scrambled. Once you saved the sequence, the file was no longer useable or recoverable.

It was also a mistake on my part because I know the Beta software is just that. Anything can go wrong and you have t be prepared to lose your data, the program or anything else on your harddrive. It might be OK and it might not.

Oh wow, sorry for misunderstanding your original quoted post. I thought you meant you lost your very first Vixen 3.0 sequence due to a bug. Carry on!

Javo
02-10-2012, 07:33 PM
If configured properly there are absolutely no problems with Renard boards in LSP that I am aware of. Can someone explain what the issue with Renards in LSP is?
I have used them for 3 years in LSP without an issue.

Let me clear, I do not have nor have I tried LSP (yet). I was only asking a question based on comments in the thread - LSP2 is Released. I'm not putting LSP down or saying it's bad by no means! I've been to their site and looked around, it looks like it has some great features. I'm still so new at this my opinion wouldn't be worth anything anyways. Not trying to start the "Holy War" mentioned in that thread. Maybe I was wrong, I was under the impression the problem was with Renard boards. Maybe some of the guys were experiencing other issues. As a newbie you don't learn if you don't ask.