PDA

View Full Version : Noob- Grinch questions.

mrtenn
12-29-2007, 03:37 AM
Well i have had a look at the pdf by john Wilson about the Grinch. Where can i buy the necessary parts to build it? Also is there a video tutorial or good guide out there to set it up? I'm not very skilled in these sorts of things.

Thank you!

daviddth
12-29-2007, 03:43 AM
The grinch is really easy to build. Theres a parts list with almost every part available from Mouser, the board can be sourced from wjohn in the forums, and 2hrs max to build the board for most people. I think I did mine in about 20 mins, but I have a little experience building things

Just need a decent small tipped soldering iron, some solder, a clean area to work & the bits.

Dont forget you will also need your SSR's as well, so you might be better to get the SSR boards from wjohn while you are at it. The grinch will handle 64 chans per board, and the SSR's are 4 per board, so you will need 16 of them if you intend to use all 64 channels

mrtenn
12-29-2007, 04:04 AM
Thanks for the reply, so i take it that you have to solder plugs onto it aswell that the lights will plug into and some things so it will plug into the computer? Yes i am a newb :P a picture guide would be appreciated if anyone has one.

daviddth
12-29-2007, 04:18 AM
the SSR's are the solid state relays. i.e. the electronic relay or switch. They mount out in the field & you connect your lights to them. Theres hundreds of designs around from various people for SSR mountings - some excellent, some not-so good.

You will make up a cable to go from your parallel port that will plug into the grinch. Again the pinouts & connections are available in the grinch guide too.

mrtenn
12-29-2007, 05:03 AM
So i buy a SSR and for each one i buy i need all the listed parts in the Grinch guide? The guide says for example "Fit the Led resistor to the board" I have no idea where that would be and how.

daviddth
12-29-2007, 05:28 AM
ok the grinch will control 64 SSR's per board. The current SSR boards have 4 SSR's per board, so you will need 16 SSR boards if you want all 64 channels

The grinch has 4 or 5 caps, a few resistors, 1 LED, 18 cat 5 sockets (rj45) which is where you connect the cables going to each SSR board, as well as the input and power to the board.

Each SSR board has (from memory), 4 optocouplers, 1 input RJ45, 4 triacs & a few resistors, plus a place to connect your lights, or wire to sockets for your lights etc.

Drop by the chat - its easier

mrtenn
12-29-2007, 05:34 AM
Drop by the chat - its easier

I'm occupied with something else and i'm coming back to check this every 10/20 minutes. I might come on the chat later on. Where it says fit the LED in the guide on the boards does it mark out where? and so on?

mrtenn
12-29-2007, 05:40 AM
So basically i would have to buy 16 SSR boards and 16 of all the other required things? and 16 power supplies? and that would achieve 64 channels?

Macrosill
12-29-2007, 09:41 AM
This (http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1777) might help.

mrtenn
12-29-2007, 05:18 PM
I'll have a look at that in a second Marco thanks. I went to the chat yesterday and DonRoss was a good help to me cheers :D

Ok after reading that i had already picked most of that up from donross. What i'm trying to understand now is

mrtenn
12-29-2007, 05:28 PM
Doing a quick reply so i can scroll up and read

Ok so if i want 128 channels i have to buy 2 Grinche's and 32 SSR boards right? and from mouser two times all that stuff required on the list for the Grinch. There are a few more things that still confuse me though. Where does the power source plug into? There are 16 boxes around the sides of the Grinch and each one has a cat6 cable coming out of it and the cat6 cable plugs into a ssr and then i have to put 4 plugs coming out of the ssr? is there a picture of the SSR? I have to buy the SSR's seperately from everything else aswell?

Edit: So i will have to buy like 32 cat6 cables??

mrtenn
12-29-2007, 08:58 PM
Ok had a lot of help on the chat and i fully understand it now :D Now i need to work out how the SSRs work lol.