PDA

View Full Version : New Star for my 2012 display

mikeh65
02-01-2012, 07:34 PM
I been working on some designs for the 2012 display. I want to add a star to balance the wreath I made last year. The star will go over my front door, it's starts at about 2.5' tall and goes down to 1' tall. I think I will make it out of warm white LED lights to give it the look of gold. Here are some pictures of the design. What do you think?

kychristmas
02-01-2012, 08:22 PM
perty!

buymyemu
02-01-2012, 08:27 PM
perty!

3 channels, made from PVC?

Dabnang Kentucky Guys, think you would know........that's pUrty...

crazy_carpenter
02-02-2012, 12:52 AM
I like it !!! I'm designing my mega tree with 20 strands running off of a ren SSR24 and have 4 channels left for the star on top. That is the same star I was gonna design to use the other 4 channels up. When I get my boards and start getting into vixen seriously, mabye we can share some sequences

mikeh65
02-02-2012, 12:53 PM
Actually it will be 4 channels and made of 1/4 or maybe a little heavery steal rod. The main reason for the step out it to make room for the SSRez inside. The size of the star is dicitated by the number of lights going on it. I have a source for commercial LED strings, since they come in 25 lights per string, I went with a design of the biggest star at 100 lights, then 75, 50, and finally 25 lights. I have laid out the stars with a 1/2 spacing between each light.

mikeh65
03-20-2012, 01:16 AM
The framework is now done. Well, almost. I have the new star put together and welded up. Welds have been ground down and cleaned up. Next comes a couple of layers of black paint. Then I will start with the lights.

Skunberg
03-20-2012, 08:41 AM
Wow! Lookin' Great!

Wayne J
03-20-2012, 09:14 AM
Looks great! I can't wait to see it in action.

dowis
03-21-2012, 09:02 PM
That is one good looking star. Great fabrication work!

Donald.Landru
03-21-2012, 10:37 PM
Nicely done! I too can't wait till there are some lights on it!

dirknerkle
03-21-2012, 11:54 PM
I see many, many problems ahead for you with that star. They are all problems that could easily be solved... by sending the star to ME!

:lol:

That looks just SUPER!!!

mikeh65
03-22-2012, 01:34 AM
Dirknerkle, I appreciate the offer, but I am the kind of guy who likes to figure out his problems on his own. If you could give me a hint or two. Maybe I could figure them out. Or I could work on a second one if the price was right.

Thanks for the input.

dirknerkle
03-22-2012, 01:24 PM
Dirknerkle, I appreciate the offer, but I am the kind of guy who likes to figure out his problems on his own. If you could give me a hint or two. Maybe I could figure them out. Or I could work on a second one if the price was right.

Thanks for the input.

Well, first of all, it needs testing. I would test it for one, maybe two seasons for you. Secondly, with those welds all ground down and smooth, it looks too good. It needs more of a DIY touch -- a rougher appearance, and I'm a pro at that! Then, of course, it would require more testing afterward... probably only another year. Another problem is storage. I would test its storage ability in both very cold and very hot environments to make sure its dimensions aren't adversely affected. One more year for that.

So, it looks like a 4-year plan.... :lol:

mikeh65
03-22-2012, 03:37 PM
Wait, wait, i haven't painted it yet. Will you need some more time to test the wear and tear on the paint? My guess would be another year at least of testing. That would bring it to a nice round 5 years. Man, R&D is hard. I might have to scrap this one all together.

But....wait.... how about this! I could do the work. Then in five year, send you a report on the results. I mean, this is DIY.

Thanks again input.

acreiss
03-22-2012, 05:00 PM
Any chance you could share the dimensions for the star? I was going to try and make something like that this year but I have never welded anything. And not sure how to calculate everything..

mikeh65
03-22-2012, 07:13 PM
I based my stars on the number of lights planned per star. I am using commericial sets of LED lights on my star. They come in strings of 25 lights each. My smallest star will be 25 lights, then 50 lights, 75 lights, and finally 100. I planned on spacing the lights about 1 inch apart. There are 10 sides to a five pointed star. Taking the 100 lights star divide by ten sides means that there is 10 inches per side. Then I added one more inch for a 1/2 inch space at the top and bottom of each side. That way I will keep my 1 inch spacing between each side. So, with ten lights per side at one inch spacing plus the extra 1 inch is 11 inches per side. The biggest star is then 11 inches per side, then next one is 8.5 inches per side, then next is 6 inches per side, and the smallest is 3.5 inches per side. I looked up on the internet that the points of the star are 36 degrees. I made a jig out of screws that was 36 degrees, I put paires of sides in it to weld. When done, I had 5 points. When the points were done, I lined up one point on a straight line so the two bottom pieces lined up on the line, then took two more points and set one on either side of the first. Each one of them having one side also on the straight line. I then welded them together, rotated the piece so that one of the side points was now the middle point with the two bottoms on the straight line, added the next point like the first and welded. Rotated the piece again and made the final connections. If you are right, the last point should fit without too much adjustment. With the last weld you then have a star. Repeat for the next three sizes.

Let me know if this make sence, I can make drawings if needed.

dirknerkle
03-23-2012, 12:36 AM
Wait, wait, i haven't painted it yet. Will you need some more time to test the wear and tear on the paint? My guess would be another year at least of testing. That would bring it to a nice round 5 years. Man, R&D is hard. I might have to scrap this one all together.

But....wait.... how about this! I could do the work. Then in five year, send you a report on the results. I mean, this is DIY.

Thanks again input.

Dang! That woulda looked pretty good on top of my "testing" tree.... :lol:

mikeh65
03-28-2012, 12:56 AM
Have completed the painting and started putting the lights on. Here are a few pics of the first two stars completed. More to come.

dmcole
03-28-2012, 06:37 PM
I am using commericial sets of LED lights on my star. They come in strings of 25 lights each.

Probably the key word here is "commercial," but I haven't been able to find LED strings in 25s ... could you share your source?

Thanks.

\dmc

mikeh65
03-29-2012, 12:30 AM
Sure, I have been purchasing my lights through Reinders

http://www.reinders.com/

The main reason I have been using them is that they have supplies and they are local. Yes, I may pay a little more for the lights, but, they are good quality and I can go and pick them up. I figure what I pay in extra cost is more them made up in the shipping costs savings.

dmcole
03-29-2012, 07:02 PM
Thanks. Yes, those are "commercial," with a semi-proprietary adapter needed. I considered that type of light a couple of years ago and decided against it. There was a frozen moment in time (2008? 2009?) where Wally World/Target and the ilk had 25-count LEDs but I haven't found any since then. I have been taking 50s and cutting them in half.

Again, thanks.

\dmc

mikeh65
04-02-2012, 10:02 PM
The finished Star. Here are some pics and a quick video.

http://vimeo.com/39673211

dirknerkle
04-02-2012, 11:41 PM
My offer is still open -- I'll be glad to test it for you for... ohhh.... maybe 3, 4 years...... :biggrin2:

Really nice work, Mike! It's a show-stopper!