PDA

View Full Version : How did you mount you RGB pixels?

jimbo3301
01-17-2012, 07:17 PM
I decided to incorporate 350 RGB pixels to my roof line for our 2011 display. But how to SAFELY mount them. Hum.... I read several threads on methods others were using. But none of them, after careful thought, would work for me due to the steep pitch of most of my roof. In order to reach the backside of the fascia boards to mount coro-plast or any other material to hold the pixels I would need to rent some kind of a lift.

In previous years we used C9 incans with All-In-One clips. I had some Rope Light Clip samples I got form the folks at Commercial Christmas Hardware and discovered they fit quite nicely into socket holder of an All-In_One clip. After a slight modification to the Rope Light Clip and a little hot glue I had a our solution. Please see the photos.

Zeph
01-17-2012, 09:33 PM
Nice tip, thanks.
What was the modification? (did it take much time per?)

RichF
01-17-2012, 10:42 PM
Nice RGB control in the videos. What are you using to control your pixels?

mschell
01-17-2012, 11:22 PM
Looks great! A pointer to the Rope Light Clip would be helpful to know how to source this. I have a bunch of the All-in-1 clips, but haven't had a use for them, but may use this idea....

maffeirw
01-18-2012, 08:12 PM
I wish I could remember who came up with the idea of taping the pixels to PVC so I could give them credit, but I simply used black tape to secure them to 3/4" PVC added some medium sized screw-in eyelets (about 6' apart) and hung them from hooks screwed into the eves. Could have used white electrical tape but had just bought a 10 pack of black and wanted to get it done. I think if I did it again I would use red tape for a candy cane effect and be more careful about the spacing but it's over a hundred feet to the curb so my uneven black tape wasn't noticed by anyone but me. I also made frames of 3/4" PVC to fit my windows and handrail and then taped the pixels to those. The best part of this was that it took less than a half hour to take down over 600 Pixels on about 190' of PVC and should only take that amount of time to put them back up. :)

P.S. if your curious about the green wire on the fourth (first?) pixel, the pixel failed during the last week of the show and the rest of the string stayed on white. Seeing that this was the highest point of my roof and I could just reach it from the attic window I decided to jump the data around it and leave the power in place. The only effect this had was to skip that pixel entirely when the sequences ran.