PDA

View Full Version : Display Preview/Display Canvas on Vixen 3.0

markoz74
01-15-2012, 01:49 AM
This is my first year with DIYC's Vixen, I have downloaded Vixen 3.0, and start playing with it.

I have created a sequence for my RenSS24, added the music & effects and when I press PLAY the music starts and also a Window appears that says "Display Preview/Display Canvas" but it's all black, should I be seeing something there, if so how would I make it work???

I have watch the YouTube videos about how to create an Output Module by maloneylights, I did not know what I was doing but I follow it step by step & got it. Is there a YouTube/Vimeo video on how to use the Vixen 3.0 software????

Thanks for your answers.

Javo
01-15-2012, 02:50 AM
Yes you should. However, you probably don't see anything because you haven't set up your preview yet or it could be you just didn't "enable" the preview from the initial main screen. Did you set up the preview at all?

I just finished setting up all my channels or "nodes", preview and sequencing my first song. It took me some time to grasp how to do it and make it work but once you get it, the software is amazing! If you need more help let me know. I'm just a newbie here, but I did get this going with 128 channels.

markoz74
01-15-2012, 03:14 AM
Like I said I'm also a newbe, how/where do I enable the preview, on VixenApplication or VixenTestbed

This is the sample that I have on Vixen and when I click play, the Black screen appears

What am I doing wrong???

Thanks

Javo
01-15-2012, 03:21 AM
When you first open vixen 3.0 you will be at the Vixen Administration screen. On the top right it will say "Display Preview". When you click on that you have two options: 1. Edit Preview Setup and 2. Preview Enabled. Please don't take this wrong, since you don't know about this you will need to start with "Edit Preview Setup", once your done setting that up you will then need to go back and click on the "Preview Enabled", when you do it will have a check mark by it and then you will be able to see your sequence.

budude
01-15-2012, 03:27 AM
btw - *EVERYONE* is a newbie when it comes to Vixen 3! Did you actually draw the display elements on the adjustable preview configuration?

Javo
01-15-2012, 03:30 AM
Let me give you some more basics:
1. From Vixen Administration page... did you set up your "configure channels and groups"?
If yes, did you also do "add patch" to each channel and then assign them to "dummy lighting" with each one having a different output number?
2. From Vixen Administration page... did you set up your "configure output controllers"?
You need to make sure "dummy lighting" is checked and you have enough channels, or add the channels you need.
From what I gather "dummy lighting" is your preview "controller"

markoz74
01-15-2012, 03:31 AM
Ohhhhhh, THANKS, did not see it :wink:

Javo
01-15-2012, 03:33 AM
btw - *EVERYONE* is a newbie when it comes to Vixen 3! Did you actually draw the display elements on the adjustable preview configuration?

Hi Brian, if your asking me... yes. But that was kinda where I was going to point him next once he found it. This whole process took me days to finally get and understand, but once I did my wife was laughing because I was practically yelling "I GOT IT! I finally understand how this all works!!" lol

markoz74
01-15-2012, 03:46 AM
Javo:

On the Display Preview Setup, when I click Add Element I get a White Circle, but when I want to change it via Edit Node and I change from Outlined Circle to any other option the Circle disappears ?????

Javo
01-15-2012, 04:02 AM
Yes. I think they may have a problem there. I encountered two things:
1. Anything other than the circle disappears.
2. I did get the triangles to work once and then nothing worked (even the circles) when I played the preview.

For now i stuck with the circles and all worked good. To be creative you can make lines out of the circles if you make them like 5 high by say 50 wide for a horizontal line or just reverse those numbers to make a vertical line.

plasmata
01-16-2012, 12:27 AM
Vixen 3.0 is called a beta for a reason. What is currently available is meant to get comments from the community to make sure that what they are creating is what we actually want. So many things do not work. I was only able to get circles to work as well. But that is good enough (at this point) for you to see how it works.

ctmal
01-16-2012, 01:40 AM
Vixen 3.0 is a beta version. As per the origional post (http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?18027-3-0-Beta-0) only circles are enabled in the preview.

Javo
01-16-2012, 02:25 AM
It may have a few little glitches (i've come across some things) but it is AWSOME! It just seems to make "sense" in terms of the way it was designed to be used, I love it. The guys that have designed this have done an outstanding job. My only concern is what if we go to all of the work to sequence our songs but a scheduler isn't available in time for next Christmas. Then I'm in deep doo-doo.

cwalkeree
01-18-2012, 12:32 PM
When go to Edit Preview Setup and attempt to draw the display elements on the screen by using Add Element there is no white cirlce or anything.. all that shows up is a gray square. The gray square's size can be adjusted but no color can be chosen. Any one else have issues with designing their Dummy Light display?

EDIT: Got it.. you have to drag the node to the display canvas while in the item editor.

Ruprect88
02-06-2012, 07:10 PM
I found that if I change the nodes to a line and then play the sequence a bit, stop it and go back into the preview setup, the lines are now visable. This way I could reposition or align them correctly.