PDA

View Full Version : Megatree - How I did It

kychristmas
01-13-2012, 11:35 PM
This is the last of my "informational series". I don't proclaim to have anything special when it comes to my Megatree. I have seen many that blow mine away and I have seen a number that are very similar. I do think that the Bang-for-buck factor on mine is very high. I wanted to share the details because I still remember how I stressed over the Megatree when I put my display together in 2009. I looked at many, many designs and ideas. After hours of looking, measuring, testing and protyping, I finally settled on just borrowing basic concepts from a few different people and developed my own design.

I'll be honest, I may end up replacing mine and growing it a bit this year I got my watering can an miracle grow out and I'm going to see if I can make it a few feet higher this off-season. That said, I have had this tree for 3 seasons and it works great. It is a great design to start with. Not too overwhelming to mange and reasonable size to use standard and most commonly available 100ct light strings. At a minimum, I believe you can adopt the design of some of the structure and components.

The details are in the on my site but basically they are"
15 ft x 8 ft. at the base.
All PVC Frame
48 Vertical Channels (16 x 3 Color)
16 Spiral Channels
20 Strobes

Each season I added features to it. Strobes and Topper the second year and Spirals and 3 color topper this past season. The tree is a great base to build on. It may not satisfy you forever, but it will be a great start and last you a few seasons. Hopefully, first timers will find it helpful and useful in their own planning:

Kentucky Christmas Megatree Details and Photos (http://www.kentucky-christmas.com/photos/megatree-photos)

I also posted some Sequencing examples for the Spiral: Kentucky Christmas Spiral Sequencing Techniques (http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?19125-Sequencing-Techniques-Lesson-3-Spiral-Megatree)

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me or contact me through the Guestbook on my site.