PDA

View Full Version : Want snowman for 2012 looking for ideas

olingerjccj
01-04-2012, 12:42 PM
I was not sure where to put this so I stuck it here. I am probably going to add 8 5-8ft snowman in the yard. Since we do not get enough real snow here to do it I am going to try and build them. So wondering build them out of what? Basically I am going to make 3 balls different sizes, I want the real look. I also want the balls to be somewhat hollow to add a flood light. Not really starting my projects till May but just looking for Ideas.

Thanks
John

dirknerkle
01-04-2012, 02:10 PM
I'm thinking that you might get some big balloons, blow them up to different sizes and cover them with papier mache. They'd be slighly bumpy (more original looking for snow) and you'd of course need to make the papier mache multiple layers for strength. You might even decide to cover them with fibreglass mesh (that boat builders use) and epoxy, or if you got really creative, you could check with a fibreglass shop (auto shop that fixes corvettes?) and see if you could use their spray-on fibreglass equipment.... Then paint them white of course.

Gary Martin
01-04-2012, 02:16 PM
Is this what you're looking for?

http://vimeo.com/34411843

Those are wireframe, completely round unlike all the oval stuff being sold in the stores these days.

I was not sure where to put this so I stuck it here. I am probably going to add 8 5-8ft snowman in the yard. Since we do not get enough real snow here to do it I am going to try and build them. So wondering build them out of what? Basically I am going to make 3 balls different sizes, I want the real look. I also want the balls to be somewhat hollow to add a flood light. Not really starting my projects till May but just looking for Ideas.

Thanks
John

ben&bobbi
01-04-2012, 02:38 PM
i was going to post the same idea. the paper mache will have to be covered with something being outside. Fiberglass could get expensive. I was wondering how far a can of great stuff will go. Buying those $3 balls at wallymart and spraying the outside. Even if the ball deflates, the foam will hold its shape.

However, you want to light them from the inside and to look white - that will be a bit more difficult. Fiberglass is pink or yellowish, painting them might block too much light. that's not from experience, so i may be way wrong.

olingerjccj
01-04-2012, 09:42 PM

Those are wireframe, completely round unlike all the oval stuff being sold in the stores these days.

I think they would work, but did you have to wield the wireframe? My cpu is totally toast so I cannot view vids. Need a new cpu so bad. After doing some reading I might try the paper mache thing you can waterproof it with yacht varnish. Sand it a bit and paint it.

jrock64
01-04-2012, 10:35 PM
If you are going to make wire frames anyway, there is only one way to go.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=731BOIH7M3Y&feature=g-upl&context=G2dfe501AUAAAAAAAIAA

If you can not see the vid, just look at my avatar.

Joel

WWNF911
01-12-2012, 05:21 AM
LOL Joel,

GREAT wire frames. Just love your agonizing over the car. LOL :)

Leon

CaptKirk
01-12-2012, 03:19 PM
Hey, are the snowmen flipping US off, or just each other?? :shock:

:biggrin2:

Papa-lf
02-26-2012, 01:07 PM
How about this kind of a snowman?
http://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/today/45751784

IdunBenhad
02-26-2012, 01:35 PM
Hi:
You could fill the ballon/paper machet snowmen with helium and have a floating display. Now that would be different. Just hope you don't have any high winds!

barbotte
02-26-2012, 02:40 PM
well if you need snow i could ship it to you as we just get hit with another foot yesterday ..but you have to pay shipping ,,,lol
cheer

Materdaddy
02-27-2012, 01:11 AM
well if you need snow i could ship it to you as we just get hit with another foot yesterday ..but you have to pay shipping ,,,lol
cheer

Ship it to me. I'll only pay if I get snow in the box when I open it. I'll warn you, it was almost 70F here today. :biggrin:

olingerjccj
02-28-2012, 12:34 PM
I am still stuck on this one. I want a 3d snowman. The paper mache in theory seems ok but just not sure building 8 of them would really work. So I may be stuck with the wire frames not a bad thing just really not my vision. So I kinda changed my tune I am now looking on building a Mr and Mrs Clause that sing. I may do both my layout is not even close to being set yet.

John

ctmal
12-26-2015, 07:39 PM
Those snowmen look like they have some kind of covering on them. What did you use, I'm looking to do something similar next year.

jnealand
12-26-2015, 09:41 PM
Do you realize you are resurrecting a thread that is almost 4 years old.

ctmal
12-27-2015, 12:55 PM
Do you realize you are resurrecting a thread that is almost 4 years old.

Yup. I'm hoping Greg is still hanging around the site though.

jnealand
12-27-2015, 02:23 PM
Send him a PM