PDA

View Full Version : Vixen 3.0 Enttec Open DMX Output Module

chilloutdocdoc
12-31-2011, 01:05 AM
Just put the finishing touches on a very crude Enttec Open DMX Output Module for Vixen 3.0. The module expects you to have the FTDI 2XX driver installed on your computer, and may or may not report an error if you don't have it (haven't bothered to uninstall it myself and see what happens.

I would like to see some others test it out and see where it needs to be improved. Feel free to respond in this thread, or modify the code yourself.

To Use:
1) Extract Zip Contents
2) Copy VixenOpenDMX.dll to the folder filedir/Vixen3.0/Modules/Output/
3) Start Vixen 3.0

Notes if you plan on modifiying/building from source. You will need to change the output directory of the .dll as it is setup on my computer to go right to the vixen modules folder. Yours may or may not be in the same location.

No license on the source, do with it what you will, just please give back to the community if you provide any updates or useful features.

Josh

NOTE/WARNING: This module may or may not be show ready, just like Vixen 3.0. Please test accordingly

Changelog:
V1.0
- Initial Creation
V1.1
- Fixed output value scaling from 0-100 to 0-255
- Fixed memory leak with each write function
- Fixed channels staying at previous value after effect ends

budude
12-31-2011, 01:19 AM
So - - previously if you used the Enttec Open Plug-In you also needed to run the DMX Add-In as well so the computer would continuously feed the stream out (this was not necessary with the Pro Plug-In/dongles) - is that no longer required now?

chilloutdocdoc
12-31-2011, 01:36 AM
Well. From what I found, as long as Vixen 3.0 is running, the output is feeding. Unless stop the execution engine (System->Execution Engine->Start/Stop). As soon as it starts up, the data is getting spit out. No new thread necessary. (Unless I'm missing how the code is intended to be written)

bobkeyes
12-31-2011, 12:24 PM
Glad to see someone is working on output modules. I wish I had the knowledge to help. I also wish someone would work on an E1.31???

Thanks for your work.

chilloutdocdoc
12-31-2011, 02:55 PM
Thanks Bob

Updating the first post with a bit more "use" information. Just a reminder this module may or may not be show ready. PLEASE test it if you have the appropriate hardware.

Josh

chilloutdocdoc
01-01-2012, 05:58 PM
Updated .zip. Forgot to output start code of 0.

jpb
01-21-2012, 12:23 AM
To Use:
1) Extract Zip Contents
2) Copy VixenOpenDMX.dll to the folder filedir/Vixen3.0/Modules/Output/
3) Start Vixen 3.0

Notes if you plan on modifiying/building from source. You will need to change the output directory of the .dll as it is setup on my computer to go right to the vixen modules folder. Yours may or may not be in the same location.

Josh, where should the VixenOpenDMX folder reside?
I am trying this with one of RPM's USB-DMX converters and while the software allows me to program channels I get no actual output. I know my computer setup is okay because the DMX is working okay on Vixen 2.5.

regards, Jon

ctmal
01-21-2012, 12:31 AM
Josh, where should the VixenOpenDMX folder reside?
I am trying this with one of RPM's USB-DMX converters and while the software allows me to program channels I get no actual output. I know my computer setup is okay because the DMX is working okay on Vixen 2.5.

regards, Jon

I haven't worked with this Output Modules but in general you need to copy the .dll file to the Vixen3.0/Modules/Output folder. It won't work if you copy the entire folder to that folder.

rokkett
01-21-2012, 07:20 AM
Josh's code is for the Enttec Open. RPM's USB2DMX device is an Enttec Pro clone. We will need a slightly different module to drive that...

jpb
01-21-2012, 07:29 PM
Josh's code is for the Enttec Open. RPM's USB2DMX device is an Enttec Pro clone. We will need a slightly different module to drive that...

I understand, I thought it might be the wrong module, thanks for that.

Jon

budude
01-22-2012, 09:51 PM
So - - I gave this a try today. I have a Ren64 with the channel LEDs with an Enttec Open DMX adaptor. Initially I set up Vixen 2.1 with the Open Plug-in and DMX Add-in and ran some basic sequences to ensure all the HW was working properly. I then installed a fresh Vixen 3.0/B0, .NET 4, and your plug-in into the directory you indicated. This is on XP SP3.

I added all 64 channels and created eight groups of eight channels each (ChanG1 = channels 1-8, ChanG2 = 9-16, etc). I then placed an effect on each group in sequential order. So CG1 has a chase for 2 seconds, then CG2, etc and then did same for the Pulse, Spin and Twinkle effects for each group.

What I found was that the last effect value on the group would be left on. In other words for the chase on CG1, it would properly chase channels 1-8 but channel 8 would be left on when the effect started on CG2 (9-16) and then channel 16 would be left on and so on. This was true for all the effects and all the groups. Essentially it is not turning off the last setting for the group as a whole. I assume this is not normal - that I do not need to add a specific setValue to 0 type of operation to turn things off.

Anyway - first time I've actually run V3 with real HW so not sure if this is a Vixen issue or an Open DMX module problem. Not sure if the sequence will help but attaching it...

edit - sounds like this is a possible known issue - VX-114 will track this. This is pretty important to fix.

chilloutdocdoc
01-23-2012, 11:21 PM
Budude: Known issue, got a solution for it, will be fixing it hopefully this week, (or next week depending on how much homework my professors give).

It was also brought to my attention that there is a somewhat significant memory leak. It could cause some slow-down after a bit of playback, that will also be fixed (stupid error on my part.)

Stay tuned :)

chilloutdocdoc
01-29-2012, 12:37 AM
Updated plugin, see first post for .zip

V1.1
- Fixed output value scaling from 0-100 to 0-255
- Fixed memory leak with each write function
- Fixed channels staying at previous value after effect ends

budude
01-29-2012, 02:35 AM
OK - tried Version 1.1 with the same sequence as before. The original issue is fine but now there's a different one. Again, I'm using a Ren64 and going by the channel LEDs as my "lights". When I run the sequence it runs great for channels 1-32 but then starts stuttering a bit on channels 33-64 (Groups 5-8) - the seventh and eighth (channels 49-64) group in particular is very bad - sometimes nothing shows up for them or just one or two channels in the group.

I'm going to try the E1.31 module to see how that goes.

chilloutdocdoc
01-29-2012, 04:33 PM
hmmh, that's odd.. I'm going to have to hook up more hardware and see if I can reproduce that issue this week.

budude
01-29-2012, 05:20 PM
hmmh, that's odd.. I'm going to have to hook up more hardware and see if I can reproduce that issue this week.

The new j1sys E1.31 module worked perfectly with the same sequence (just to clarify it's not a HW issue) and looked very smooth. As I indicated, it looks OK up to about 32 channels but after that it starts acting up.

joej85
11-12-2012, 08:18 PM
Does this work (or does anybody know how to make this work) with Vixen 3.0.3?

I added the dll file to the Vixen 3.0.3 controllers directory, but it didnt show up in the controllers list in vixen

kychristmas
11-12-2012, 08:34 PM
Does this work (or does anybody know how to make this work) with Vixen 3.0.3?

I added the dll file to the Vixen 3.0.3 controllers directory, but it didnt show up in the controllers list in vixen

Likely Not. The plugin architecture was significantly changed since this was created. Not sure if there is an updated one though. I see an Entec Pro in the GitHub project.

sallz0r
11-12-2012, 08:52 PM
Likely Not. The plugin architecture was significantly changed since this was created. Not sure if there is an updated one though. I see an Entec Pro in the GitHub project.

That's correct. The one written in this thread (above) was from last year; we've made changes to the architecture since then, but haven't been able to update it. We're looking for a volunteer to help update the code and test it with hardware, which is something we're unable to do. :-(

We do have some code in the github project; not sure on the history of it at the moment though.

piense
11-14-2012, 12:22 AM
I took a look at the code and updated the plugin for the changes to the Vixen architecture. The plugin now loads and seems to function but I don't have the hardware so I can't do any real testing. I also tried to address the stuttering that people were reporting with higher channel counts. Attached is the DLL, let me know how things go.

sallz0r
11-14-2012, 12:27 AM
I took a look at the code and updated the plugin for the changes to the Vixen architecture. The plugin now loads and seems to function but I don't have the hardware so I can't do any real testing. I also tried to address the stuttering that people were reporting with higher channel counts. Attached is the DLL, let me know how things go.

Sweet! Thanks for that -- I'll see if I can get it in in the next few days and get it building. :-)

piense
11-14-2012, 02:24 AM
Sweet! Thanks for that -- I'll see if I can get it in in the next few days and get it building. :-)

Attached is the code for it. The only functional change I made is that the module now reports the correct update period for a full universe of DMX, ~40Hz. I'm pretty sure that the USB->Serial buffer was overflowing and causing the flickering. Hopefully it works for people.

joej85
11-14-2012, 09:38 AM
Thanks for this. I will try it out in the next day or two and let you know how it goes.

sallz0r
11-20-2012, 10:57 AM
OK, I've put that code in, and cleaned it up (changed namespaces, etc.) and it seems to build and looks OK -- I haven't tested anything yet though, since I don't have DMX hardware!

Nevertheless, it'll be in the next release for people to play with and tell us if it works, etc.

(on a side note, I see we already had a "DmxUsbPro" module, and now I just added the "OpenDMX" module from chilloutdoc and piense above. Anyone know what the difference is? Are they both for DMX? Or are they different somehow, and we need both?)

dmcole
11-20-2012, 06:41 PM
(on a side note, I see we already had a "DmxUsbPro" module, and now I just added the "OpenDMX" module from chilloutdoc and piense above. Anyone know what the difference is? Are they both for DMX? Or are they different somehow, and we need both?)

An OpenDMX device is a USB->RS485 converter (usually FTDI) and provides no buffering or flow control; it depends upon the host computer's operating system to provide those functions (and since that's Windows for most people, the response of OpenDMX is subject to the whims of Windows). Fast-paced shows that are developed in the 50ms range probably shouldn't be run on OpenDMX (YMMV).

An Enttec Pro (or clone -- there are two clones out there) is a USB converter (always FTDI) that has a microprocessor and electrical isolation included in the RS485 output. The uC provides buffering and flow control, allowing fast-paced shows to operate regardless of the whims of the operating system. The Pro (or clone) also has the extra-added safety feature of electrical isolation, so in case a power surge hits the 485 network, the computer isn't fried.

HTH.

\dmc

sallz0r
11-20-2012, 07:51 PM
An OpenDMX device is a USB->RS485 converter (usually FTDI) and provides no buffering or flow control; it depends upon the host computer's operating system to provide those functions (and since that's Windows for most people, the response of OpenDMX is subject to the whims of Windows). Fast-paced shows that are developed in the 50ms range probably shouldn't be run on OpenDMX (YMMV).

An Enttec Pro (or clone -- there are two clones out there) is a USB converter (always FTDI) that has a microprocessor and electrical isolation included in the RS485 output. The uC provides buffering and flow control, allowing fast-paced shows to operate regardless of the whims of the operating system. The Pro (or clone) also has the extra-added safety feature of electrical isolation, so in case a power surge hits the 485 network, the computer isn't fried.

Aah, fantastic, thanks for that info! That makes sense.

You mention clones of the Entec Pro -- is that what a DMXUsbPro is? Or, are there any other names for the clones that are common/popular that people use and refer to?

dmcole
11-20-2012, 08:08 PM
You mention clones of the Entec Pro -- is that what a DMXUsbPro is? Or, are there any other names for the clones that are common/popular that people use and refer to?

The two Enttec Pro clones are RPM's "USB to DMX Adaptor" (http://shop.martinxmas.com/product.php?id_product=41) and RJ's "Lynx DMX Dongle" (http://diylightanimation.com/index.php?action=store;sa=view;id=1).

It appears that Enttec re-branded its device; yes, it is now known as the "DMX USB PRO."

\dmc

PS: It probably should be noted that there are two features the clones do not provide that the Enttec device does: the Enttec will respond to a query regarding a serial number and the Enttec supports Remote Device Management (RDM). The RPM device is hardware-ready to provide a serial number or RDM, but the software was never completed.

sallz0r
11-20-2012, 08:30 PM
The two Enttec Pro clones are RPM's "USB to DMX Adaptor" (http://shop.martinxmas.com/product.php?id_product=41) and RJ's "Lynx DMX Dongle" (http://diylightanimation.com/index.php?action=store;sa=view;id=1).

It appears that Enttec re-branded its device; yes, it is now known as the "DMX USB PRO."

\dmc

PS: It probably should be noted that there are two features the clones do not provide that the Enttec device does: the Enttec will respond to a query regarding a serial number and the Enttec supports Remote Device Management (RDM). The RPM device is hardware-ready to provide a serial number or RDM, but the software was never completed.

Sweet, thanks for that info! that's really handy. Now just to find someone with a DmxUsbPro to clean up the module for us.... :-)

joej85
11-28-2012, 08:34 PM
I finally got around to trying the Open DMX Output Module for Vixen 3 tonight.

I had been previously running my sequence using a Lynx DMX dongle and it was working quite well.

I switched over to the Open DMX Output Module and I got good lighting up to about 200 DMX channels. All channels after about 200 were flashing the wrong colors most of the time. I think the DMX data was lagging.

So the output module works, but the number of working channels is probably related to how good of a computer you are going to use.

piense
11-29-2012, 03:01 AM
Give this version of the DLL a try and let me know if it works any better. I tweaked the code a bit to hopefully give it some better performance, but I don't have the device so I can't test it out myself.

joej85
11-29-2012, 09:46 AM
Give this version of the DLL a try and let me know if it works any better. I tweaked the code a bit to hopefully give it some better performance, but I don't have the device so I can't test it out myself.

I will try it out tonight and let you know.

joej85
11-30-2012, 09:07 PM

I tried the update out tonight. Unfortunately, it did some wierd stuff. Its not working correctly. I don't know how to describe what it was doing.

piense
12-01-2012, 02:05 AM
I tried the update out tonight. Unfortunately, it did some wierd stuff. Its not working correctly. I don't know how to describe what it was doing.

Bummer, unfortunately the design of the Open DMX hardware seems particularly prone to weird issues like that :/ Hopefully that first version I released provides at least some reliable functionality for you.

budude
12-01-2012, 12:30 PM
Was the issue I saw in post 14 ever resolved or are you using a different code base?

piense
12-01-2012, 02:41 PM
Was the issue I saw in post 14 ever resolved or are you using a different code base?

My impression is that the DLL I posted in post #14 seemed to resolve the issue but only for lower channel counts. If you want to try a different version of the DLL, I've attached a version I just compiled that may resolve some issues. Though I don't have the hardware so I really have no clue if it even works.

budude
12-01-2012, 02:46 PM
My impression is that the DLL I posted in post #14 seemed to resolve the issue but only for lower channel counts. If you want to try a different version of the DLL, I've attached a version I just compiled that may resolve some issues. Though I don't have the hardware so I really have no clue if it even works.

Think you meant post #20... I don't have this setup any more at the moment - just saw the posts and was wondering. If I still have the sequence around and some free time (AH AHHHAHHHAAA) I'll give it a try...

piense
12-01-2012, 03:28 PM
Think you meant post #20... I don't have this setup any more at the moment - just saw the posts and was wondering. If I still have the sequence around and some free time (AH AHHHAHHHAAA) I'll give it a try...

oopps, yeah, that one lol

joej85
12-02-2012, 09:34 PM

Thanks. I will check it out later tonight and see how it does.

joej85
12-02-2012, 10:36 PM
Ok, I just ran a test of the latest Open DMX dll.

Its better than the last, but the colors are still getting confused somehow.

I have a sequence set up to fade two groups of 36 lights from one color to the other. For example, 36 bulbs start out red, and 36 start white. The red bulbs fade to white and the white bulbs fade to red. The sequence is working fine on an Entec DMX controller.

On this version of the controller, the colors are confused, like green is actually yellow. Similar differences for other colors. Also during the fades the colors go completely wrong. For example, when fading between green to white, the bulbs go purple then a couple of other colors before stopping on white.

On the Entec DMX controller, fades are just smooth gradual change between green and white.

Something is still getting confused on this dll.

However, it looks like all 216 channels that I am testing with are all consistent. In other words, all 216 channels are responding.

piense
12-03-2012, 01:01 AM
Something is still getting confused on this dll.

However, it looks like all 216 channels that I am testing with are all consistent. In other words, all 216 channels are responding.

Oh, you want consistency and accuracy! JK, give this DLL a try when you get a chance. Thanks for being patient with this process, I don't mind bouncing things back and forth but it must be a bit frustrating for you. You won't hurt my feelings at all if decide to call it quits and just get on with things without this module.

sallz0r
12-03-2012, 01:17 AM
Oh, you want consistency and accuracy! JK, give this DLL a try when you get a chance. Thanks for being patient with this process, I don't mind bouncing things back and forth but it must be a bit frustrating for you. You won't hurt my feelings at all if decide to call it quits and just get on with things without this module.

Dude, I'm not even involved in this a all and I'm very thankful for your help with the development -- especially considering you don't even have or use the hardware! :-)

Seriously, I know everyone would appreciate it. When you get it 'finished', are you able to send through the code, and I'll merge it into the mainline? (assuming you're OK with that).

joej85
12-03-2012, 11:49 AM

Its not frustrating at all. I am not under any pressure to make this work, I just would like it to work for convenience. I am already running my lights from an Enttec Pro USB/DMX dongle which is working well with Vixen 3. I want the Open DMX module to work too so I can develop sequences on a separate system, since I don't have another dongle. I have the hardware all set up to run tests, so as long as you are willing to keep tweaking the software, I should be able to keep testing. Thanks for the quick turn around on updates.

joej85
12-03-2012, 07:31 PM
Ok....we are getting very close! I'm testing 216 channels. They are all stable and generally following what I am asking them to do.

Here is whats not quite right.

I have 2 groups of 36 LEDs (108 channels). The sequence is as follows:

Group 1: (1) Red (5sec), (2) fade from red to white (2sec), (3) white (5sec), (4) fade from white to green (2 sec), (5) green (5sec), (6) fade from green to white (2sec)...
Group 2: (1) White (5sec), (2) fade from white to red (2sec), (3) red (5sec), (4) fade from red to white (2sec), (5) white (5sec), (6) fade from white to green (2sec)...

So sequence sections (1)-(4) work fine. Section (5) is where things go wrong. Group 1 turns green in section (4) and continues to be green until about 1/2 way through group (5) then it turns yellow. Section (5) of group 2 works ok.

After sequence section (5) all the colors are skewed going forward on both Groups. Green is actually yellow, blue is actually light blue and red is actually purple. White appears to be white.

I have to exit vixen completely and get back in before the colors are correct again.

piense
12-04-2012, 12:55 AM
Interesting, progress is nice though. I have two ideas, so I've attached two DLLs this time. I'm hoping version A cleans up the glitches and version B includes the changes from version A as well as a coding semantics tweak that's been bugging me.

joej85
12-04-2012, 10:32 AM
Interesting, progress is nice though. I have two ideas, so I've attached two DLLs this time. I'm hoping version A cleans up the glitches and version B includes the changes from version A as well as a coding semantics tweak that's been bugging me.

I will check both dlls out tonight. Actually, this color shift behavior is something I have also seen occasionally when I use the Enttec Pro driver and dongle that I have, so the origins of the issue might be higher up the in the chain of command. i.e., in Vixen itself. When I used yesterday's version of the Open DMX dll, the shift happened consistently every time at the same point in the sequence. When I have seen the shift using the Pro driver, it happens randomly and only very occasionally. Its not a function of the hardware because I can reset it all and the color shift remains.

Thanks for continuing to work on this. I think we are getting very close to a good solution.

joej85
12-04-2012, 11:13 PM
I went straight to the B version. It works like a champ! 216 channels updating perfectly.

When I get time over the next few days, I will check out the higher channels to see if they all work correctly.

Thanks again for all your hard and fast work on this!

joej85
12-04-2012, 11:15 PM
I fogot to mention I didn't even test the A version since you said you preferred B.

Also, this dll doesn't seem to load in the latest and greatest Vixen 3.0.3.1.

It works fine under the 11/28/12 version that Michael posted.

piense
12-05-2012, 03:02 AM
I went straight to the B version. It works like a champ! 216 channels updating perfectly.

When I get time over the next few days, I will check out the higher channels to see if they all work correctly.

Thanks again for all your hard and fast work on this!

Sweet, glad that did the trick! The version I attached should work with 3.0.3.1. I also made a tweak to prevent some minor hiccups that have a small potential to happen in the current version. So hopefully nothing gets messed up in that process. Note that the name of the DLL is changed to match, and overwrite what's included in the releases now - Vixen won't load the DLL if any other versions of the plugin are present under a different DLL name.

joej85
12-05-2012, 10:06 AM
Sweet, glad that did the trick! The version I attached should work with 3.0.3.1. I also made a tweak to prevent some minor hiccups that have a small potential to happen in the current version. So hopefully nothing gets messed up in that process. Note that the name of the DLL is changed to match, and overwrite what's included in the releases now - Vixen won't load the DLL if any other versions of the plugin are present under a different DLL name.

I will try it tonight and we will see how it goes...Thanks.

joej85
12-06-2012, 12:04 AM
Its working perfectly as far as I can tell!

piense
12-06-2012, 04:02 AM
When you get it 'finished', are you able to send through the code, and I'll merge it into the mainline? (assuming you're OK with that).

Yup, have at it, it doesn't do much good sitting on my desktop. Attached is the code used for the final working DLL from post #48. I was working off of the original code from the start of the thread so you'll probably need to tweak the namespaces again.

libby2cm
12-11-2012, 01:06 PM
Just came across this thread, and perhaps this is a solution to my problem as well. I am using some G35's and joe's controller/receivers to control them, and while they work perfectly on one what I consider to be a 'crapped up' machine that really needs to be reloaded, I get a bunch of glitching and random flashing on 2 other PC's, one of which is a clean load, no aero, no AV, same FTDI driver version, etc, so I am at a loss as to what would cause it. Perhaps this updated library will fix the problem.. will surely give it a try tonight when I get home. Just as a note, I am using vixen 3.0.3.1 as well.

libby2cm
12-12-2012, 12:42 AM
YES! It's working perfectly now.. even better than what I thought perfect was! It's even smoother now than i've ever seen it.. everything is refreshing correctly and looks really good.. and it works now on my show PC. Great work! thanks!

piense
12-13-2012, 08:58 PM
YES! It's working perfectly now.. even better than what I thought perfect was! It's even smoother now than i've ever seen it.. everything is refreshing correctly and looks really good.. and it works now on my show PC. Great work! thanks!

Cool! I'm glad it's working so nicely,

sallz0r
12-14-2012, 03:47 AM
piense -- are we able to get the most recent good working firmware into the mainline tree? That would be great if possible.

Do you have a github account, or are you familiar with git at all? If so we could do it that way, which would be preferred; otherwise you could send me the code and I'll just merge it and commit it as myself.

libby2cm
12-14-2012, 06:39 PM
Yes, i was going to suggest that. Would make things much easier for new builds of vixen.

As a side note, I have noticed an issue that looks to have started with this new openDMX plugin, where if I shutdown vixen, all the processes do not exit on their own, and I have to use task mgr. to kill them, or nothing will work on a re-launch. Also, it looks like vixen may have a memory leak or something, because after a day of having it on a schedule, its consuming 1.5gb + of RAM across several processes. Not a huge deal or a showstopper, just something worth mentioning. Is there a master thread or page for logging bug reports?

Thanks again for all the work!

piense
12-14-2012, 08:58 PM
Yes, i was going to suggest that. Would make things much easier for new builds of vixen.

As a side note, I have noticed an issue that looks to have started with this new openDMX plugin, where if I shutdown vixen, all the processes do not exit on their own, and I have to use task mgr. to kill them, or nothing will work on a re-launch. Also, it looks like vixen may have a memory leak or something, because after a day of having it on a schedule, its consuming 1.5gb + of RAM across several processes. Not a huge deal or a showstopper, just something worth mentioning. Is there a master thread or page for logging bug reports?

Thanks again for all the work!

uh-oh. I'm working on getting it up on git-hub, hopefully it will be up later today. I can understand why it's having trouble shutting down and will try to sus that out tonight. I'll also look into the memory leak, C#'s memory management is a bit funky so i'll have to do some digging to figure out exactly what's bleeding memory in the plugin. Thankfully the openDMX code is pretty compact so there's only a few places it could be.

sallz0r
12-14-2012, 09:32 PM
Is there a master thread or page for logging bug reports?

You can file a bug at bugs.vixenlights.com.

uh-oh. I'm working on getting it up on git-hub, hopefully it will be up later today.

If you make a github account, then you can fork the vixen-modules branch (https://github.com/sall/vixen-modules -- hit 'fork' up the top right). Then you can do all the development you like on your own branch, check in stuff, etc., then when you're done (or got it to a nice working milestone), you can do a pull request (or just email/message me) and I'll pull/merge the changes in from your branch to ours. That way, we can use source control to properly manage it all and track it all nicely, but also develop separately and not stomp on each other's stuff. :-)

piense
12-15-2012, 02:57 AM
Ok, so I think I've got github mostly figured out. I forked the code, brought it up to the current version I had locally, and then made the changes to fix the memory leak and thread exits. I've attached the latest DLL which should work against 3.0.3.1. If someone could test to make sure I didn't break anything with the fixes, that'ld be great!

I suppose I really should have held off on my pull request until someone tests this DLL, it's easy enough to make changes though.

libby2cm
12-15-2012, 06:56 PM
Ok, so I think I've got github mostly figured out. I forked the code, brought it up to the current version I had locally, and then made the changes to fix the memory leak and thread exits. I've attached the latest DLL which should work against 3.0.3.1. If someone could test to make sure I didn't break anything with the fixes, that'ld be great!

I suppose I really should have held off on my pull request until someone tests this DLL, it's easy enough to make changes though.

Cool, thanks ill check it out! I am in dc for night, but will test it when I get home tomorrow.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

sallz0r
12-16-2012, 08:16 AM

All good -- I haven't pulled anything yet, I haven't had a chance to sit down in code for a while. Actually, at this rate (with family stuff going on, my own show, christmas parties and BBQs, etc.) I don't if I will for the rest of the year!

But when I do, I'll just grab whatever is latest in your branch, whatever you've pushed up there. So no biggie.

libby2cm
12-16-2012, 10:36 PM
seems to work as good as other one did, but only time will tell about the memory leak I was seeing. i'll let it run a few days and see how it goes. Vixen still won't close out when i do a shutdown from within vixen, but not sure if thats your plugin or not causing that..

sallz0r
12-16-2012, 10:51 PM
Vixen still won't close out when i do a shutdown from within vixen, but not sure if thats your plugin or not causing that..

Are you able to make a bug for that in the tracker, and add your system config files, etc.? That way we can try to reproduce it.

piense
12-18-2012, 02:37 AM
seems to work as good as other one did, but only time will tell about the memory leak I was seeing. i'll let it run a few days and see how it goes. Vixen still won't close out when i do a shutdown from within vixen, but not sure if thats your plugin or not causing that..

Hmm, I couldn't reproduce the bug on my system. But I don't have the hardware so that's not saying much. I did add one thing that may fix it though. At least closing the program means you're done using Vixen for the moment anyways lol.

Admittedly I'm feeling a tad "off" modifying code I didn't write from scratch - these bugs are stuff I should've caught right off the bat. Though a lot of my recent coding has been with microcontrollers and FPGAs.

libby2cm
12-18-2012, 01:49 PM
Hmm, I couldn't reproduce the bug on my system. But I don't have the hardware so that's not saying much. I did add one thing that may fix it though. At least closing the program means you're done using Vixen for the moment anyways lol.

Admittedly I'm feeling a tad "off" modifying code I didn't write from scratch - these bugs are stuff I should've caught right off the bat. Though a lot of my recent coding has been with microcontrollers and FPGAs.

Hey we all have to learn, right? !

I have learned alot in the past few months working on this year's display. It's been fun!

I'll give new library a try tonight and see how it goes. I think mem leak is fixed though. .Had vixen open since Sunday night on schedule, and hasn't gone over about 180mb of ram use, so good work there!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

libby2cm
12-18-2012, 08:21 PM

Looks like it's still doing it, but I wouldn't spend anymore time on it. It could even be a vixen bug causing the thread not to exit properly. You fixed the memory leak, so I can trust it to run on it's own without intervention, and if I have to shut it down like you said, it means I wanted to anyway, so I just remember to kill task, lol. If I still notice it after next vixen update, i'll log a bug for it. Definitely a very small issue!

jagoyl
09-22-2013, 08:31 AM
I'm not having the same luck with an LED16DMX controller....

Emulates and works with the OPEN DMX driver in Vixen 2, but in 3 (with original or any version in this awesome learning thread) it's a no-go...

If someone else is using V3 and has it working, I'd LOVE for you to PM me. I have a very modest show, only 1000 LED's in a few hand-made displays on my apartment deck :)

Thank you anyone in advance!

sallz0r
09-24-2013, 12:32 PM
Hmm, any of the versions in this thread are most likely out of date and wouldn't work properly. There is an OpenDMX module included with the recent builds/releases (eg. 3.0.8): are you able to test them at all? Do they work for you? If not, what problems are you having?

jagoyl
10-03-2013, 04:12 PM
I was able to try to test ;)

The included version in 3.0.6, 3.0.7 and 3.0.8.21 versions do not work, sadly.

Version 2.1.1.0 works like a charm!

It would be nice to work in the new version - the feel of it is very nice, along with the UI!

I have been a music producer for many years and am right at home with V3 :)

Thank you in advance!

(Sorry for the late reply, just getting my head out of a tough manual Halloween sequence!) :)

*** UPDATE ***

Going through the nightlies right now, starting with the nosebleed, working with my way back :)

3.0.9.8 (in progress)

*** UPDATE 2 ***

Confirmed all listed versions 3.0.9.X don't seem to work

The controller is resetting and clearing the channels on V3 load, but channels are not being updated as a sequence is played

Thank you anyone for looking at this :)

jagoyl
11-05-2013, 02:29 AM
Another update:

I went ahead and installed 64bit (yes, I am 64bit) latest release and cleared ALL logs.

Verified Vixen 2.X works PERFECTLY with the module, rebooted.

Verified Vixen 2.X works again, rebooted...

Tried latest x64 3.0.9 and nothing... Module initializes and no communications.

Verified the following logs:

Error.log:
================================================== =
11/05/2013 00:18:19 [Vixen.Sys.Modules] Loader exception:
Could not load type 'Vixen.Sys.Log' from assembly 'Vixen, Version=3.0.9.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

Info.log:
11/05/2013 00:18:15 [Vixen.Sys.VixenSystem] Vixen System starting up...
11/05/2013 00:18:25 [Vixen.Sys.State.Execution.OpeningState] Vixen execution engine entering the open state...
11/05/2013 00:18:25 [Vixen.Sys.State.Execution.OpenState] Vixen execution engine entered the open state.
11/05/2013 00:18:25 [Vixen.Sys.VixenSystem] Vixen System successfully started.

Open DMX Output module (OpenDMX.dll) is v1.5 by ChillOutDocDoc (thank you very much) (7911568a-8eda-4d1d-9e72-be41d7a843e4)

DMX output is as follows:
Update time for all elements: 0 ms
Update time for all contexts: 0 ms
Output device sleep time (actual) [Open DMX Output]: 30 ms
Output device refresh rate [Open DMX Output]: 32.71 Hz
Output device update time [Open DMX Output]: 0 ms

Switching back to Vixen 2.1.1.0 the LED16DMX box works perfectly with Entec Open DMX...

Halloween with manual triggers, and sequencing with relays and literally everything run physically was fun, albeit not as amazing as Vixen would have made it, but looking forward to hearing back!

Thank you all for your amazing help!

sallz0r
11-05-2013, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll post it to the dev group, and see if anyone can have a look at those modules. I don't have hardware or know anything of those controllers, unfortunately. :-(

Cheers,
Michael

teberle
11-05-2013, 11:36 PM
Can you tell me the name of the module that you are using in vixen 2.1.1.0. I do not see a Entec Open DMX module I see the following:

DMX-512.dll
DMXUSBPro.dll
IDMX.dll

Thanks,

Tony

jagoyl
11-07-2013, 02:38 PM
DMX-512.dll is titled "Enttec Open DMX" within the Vixen GUI...

I suppose the writer could have called it anything :D

Details as follows:
================================================== ============
S t r i n g F i l e I n f o ū  0 0 0 0 0 4 b 0
F i l e D e s c r i p t i o n 0
F i l e V e r s i o n 2 . 1 . 0 . 0 8
I n t e r n a l N a m e D M X - 5 1 2 . d l l l
L e g a l C o p y r i g h t C o p y r i g h t ( c ) 2 0 0 5 - 2 0 0 9 , K . C . O a k s @  O r i g i n a l F i l e n a m e D M X - 5 1 2 . d l l
P r o d u c t N a m e V i x e n 4
P r o d u c t V e r s i o n 2 . 1 . 0 . 0 8
A s s e m b l y V e r s i o n 2 . 1 . 0 . 0
================================================== ============

c:\Users\KC\Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\Vixen\Plugins\Output\DMX-512\DMX-512\obj\MCD\Debug\DMX-512.pdb (as listed in the DLL)

I hope this helps!

uccdave
07-24-2014, 10:18 AM
Anybody ever get this to work?

If I follow the instructions Vixen 3 will stop when I try to configure the controller with a run-time error. If I remove the .DLL it will run.

I am trying to use a ActiDongle with Vixen with no luck. I can't get any Enttec controller to list in Vixen 3.

I do see the "Enttec Open DMX" module but when I try to assign a COM port, it says "nothing to configure". Don't I need to assign it a COM port for it to recognize the dongle?

uccdave
07-25-2014, 09:28 AM
OK, I figured it out. Add the controller. Quit Vixen. Go back in then assign it's COM port and then is should work. It does for me.

Jan Bielawski
11-03-2014, 06:16 PM
After downloading and installing Vixen 3.1u1 64 I have trouble to get the Entec Open DMX USB controller to work.
I have read all the posts on this thread an trying the various OpenDMX.dll, I decide to download the master branch from github.
After debugging a while I saw that the FT_Open() (line 75) of the start() method returns an status of FT_OK, but the returned handle is invalid for an 64bit system.
You could see this when its used first at initOpenDMX(). The returned status is FT_INVALID_HANDLE.

I could be an improvement when the returned status will be examined and an exception where raised.
The problem may reported in the log files.

I circumvent my problem (I am new to Vixen) when uninstalling the 64 bit version on my 64 bit system and install the 32 bit version.
The Open DMX USB controller works fine.

If I could help with coding, let me know how I can contribute.

Happy Lightning :-)

ebrady
11-03-2014, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the info. You can log issues like this at bugs.vixenlights.com so they are captured and given a chance to get into the next release. If you want to contribute, you can do so as all of Vixen3 is open. You will need to create a fork of the sall/vixen branch, make your changes (one feature/fix per branch), check in the changes and enter a pull request. You can request to join the Vixen development forum on google groups if you have additional questions.

Ed

jchuchla
11-04-2014, 12:45 AM
Much of this thread is pretty old. Many users are using the opendmx module with no problems currently. I just did a mockup a few days ago for another user and it worked fine. Do you have the correct drivers installed? I think it's the d2xx package or something like that.

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan Bielawski
11-04-2014, 01:28 PM
Thank you ebrady and Jon!

Just to prove the hint from Jon I've updated my FTDI driver from version 2.10.0.0 up to 2.12.0.0.
The same behavior as before.

I use the 32 version so far. It seems to work fine.
I will further investigate the potential problem. When I have new information, I will let you know.

jchuchla
11-04-2014, 01:34 PM
There's a link to the d2xx driver on the right side of this page.
http://www.enttec.com/index.php?main_menu=Products&pn=70303

-- Jon Chuchla --

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jan Bielawski
11-04-2014, 01:57 PM
Thank you again Jon!

I download it - and it was exactly that I have installed before.
I used my ENTEC controller on Helloween the first time. That the reason why my FTDI driver was relatively up to date.

Again, when I find out what the problem is, I will let you know.
For now it's its a miracle for me. I never programmed upon COM-Objects.

LaserFan
04-06-2016, 11:39 AM
Good day to all!
I have a clone of the Enttec Open DMX is made on the chip FTDI FT232RL.
The clone works fine on computer with Windows 7 home basic x64 but does not work (no output) on Windows 8.1 x64 SLE.
On both computers installed Vixen 3.2u2 (64-bit) and the FTDI driver 2.12.14 from the same distribution.
When connecting the controller to my Windows 8.1 computer in device Manager I see the device USB Serial Port and USB Serial Converter.
The port settings are the same on Win 7 and Win 8. However, in Win 8 there is no output from the controller.
Please tell me what could be the problem?

jchuchla
04-06-2016, 12:30 PM
If it is a known clone, you almost certainly have run into the situation where the ftdi driver will not output on clone devices. It's easier to do the old driver workaround on win7 than it is on the win8 and above systems. What dmx devices are you connected to? Does it give any indication of active dmx? If so is it in the form of a fast flickering light that would indicate valid dmx?

--Jon Chuchla--

LaserFan
04-06-2016, 03:38 PM
Hello, Jon! This is an unknown clone. I connected to the controller one led strip.
On Win 7 everything works fine - the output goes to the strip and indicator on the controller fast flickering immediately after run Vixen.
On Win 8 there is no output, the indicator on the controller is not flickering, although in Device Manager there is two devices: USB Serial Port and USB Serial Converter
In Application.Error.Log I see the following:
04/07/2016 01:17:03 [Vixen.Sys.Managers.OutputDeviceExecution`1] Error starting device Asta DMX Open System.Exception: Failed to open FTDI deviceFT_DEVICE_NOT_FOUND
в VixenModules.Controller.OpenDMX.FTDI.start()
в Vixen.Sys.Output.BasicOutputModuleExecutionControl .Start()
в Vixen.Sys.Managers.HardwareUpdateThread.Start()
в Vixen.Sys.Managers.OutputDeviceExecution`1._StartD evice(T outputDevice)
в Vixen.Sys.Managers.OutputDeviceExecution`1._Start( T outputDevice) в VixenModules.Controller.OpenDMX.FTDI.start()
в Vixen.Sys.Output.BasicOutputModuleExecutionControl .Start()
в Vixen.Sys.Managers.HardwareUpdateThread.Start()
в Vixen.Sys.Managers.OutputDeviceExecution`1._StartD evice(T outputDevice)
в Vixen.Sys.Managers.OutputDeviceExecution`1._Start( T outputDevice)

Also on Win8 the controller is recognized and works with FreeStyler (soft for control lights fixtures)

jchuchla
04-06-2016, 03:57 PM
We were hearing about this problem on win10 systems. I can't say I remember hearing it in a win8 scenario but it makes sense because the driver system is mostly the same in 8 and 10 and different from 7. Vixen uses its own copy of the driver. We do this to prevent driver version conflicts and not require users to install the right drivers on their own. I'll have to check on exactly which version it is. It may be a driver signing issue. I don't know if freestyler uses its own copy as well or if it uses whatever is installed in Windows.
You might try to locate the driver file in the vixen program folder and replace it with the copy found in your windows installation. You'll be searching for something like d2xx.dll or FTd2xx.dll. I forgot the exact name of the file but I know its a dll and has d2xx in the name.
Note that you probably do not want to go out and get a copy from ftdi or Windows update. The most recent versions are known to actively prevent clones from working. Instead try to find it on your computer. You know there's a working copy somewhere because the other program works. So it's just a matter of finding it and putting it where vixen needs it.
Oh and it may be obvious. But make sure to do this with vixen closed and then restart it after you're done doing the swap.

--Jon Chuchla--

jchuchla
04-06-2016, 04:00 PM
By the way: if that works, send me a copy of the good file.

--Jon Chuchla--

LaserFan
04-07-2016, 01:23 PM
Hello, Jon!
I found 2 version of the driver ftd2xx.dll: in folder …\system32 (308 kb) and in folder …\SYSWOW64 (267kb). It is strange that the size of the files is different even though in the file properties, I see the same version number (2.12.14.1).
I have consistently tried to replace the file OpenDMX.dll in the folder C:\Program Files\Vixen\Modules\Controller to above files (renaming them in OpenDMX.dll), but it has not brought result.
Moreover native for Vixen OpenDMX.dll has a size of 10 kb.

jchuchla
04-07-2016, 06:23 PM
I thought I replied earlier but I guess it didn't go thru.
The two versions in your windows folder are for 32bit and 64bit applications respectively. They're the same version but compiled differently. So that explains the size difference.
I'm going to need to dig deeper. But I think we may actually embed our copy of the driver into another dll file. So in that case it wouldn't be a direct file swap. I thought I remembered seeing the driver file in the folder but I may be remembering it in the source tree instead.
Which vixen build are you using and for which bit version?

--Jon Chuchla--

LaserFan
04-08-2016, 06:22 AM
Jon, I have installed Vixen 3.2u2 (64-bit) build #153.

jchuchla
04-08-2016, 06:23 PM
Well I was completely wrong on the driver thing. We do in fact use the standard Windows driver. So that puts us back at the drawing board.
Any chance you have more than one ftdi device in your computer? Or more than one thing that uses that driver even if it's not currently connected?

--Jon Chuchla--

LaserFan
04-09-2016, 04:26 AM
Yes! I also have an Enttec USB PRO.
The general scheme of software and hardware in the attached image. 32318
But!
1.The whole system works in Win7 (this computer is not mine and I can use it only for tests... my computer with Win8).
2.While I checking the work of the Open DMX clone on Win8 I have not physically connected Enttec USB PRO to computer

One more thing! Vixen displays the sequence via USB PRO on Win8 (if I connecting USB PRO instead of the Open DMX clone... I tried it with another profile), but I need to use the USB PRO input in a different place in my scheme for start Beyond timeline.

LaserFan
04-14-2016, 07:29 AM
Yay! With 32 bit version all works great! Apparently there is some problem with the Open DMX with a 64 bit version in Windows 8.1
Thank you very much for participating in solving the problem!

jchuchla
04-14-2016, 09:10 AM
Well that's not really a fix, but it is a workaround for you. Most people using an opendmx controller have a small channel count anyhow so the 32 bit version could work for them.
But this gives us something more specific to look at. It probably has something to do with choosing between multiple instances of the driver. I'll write up a ticket.

--Jon Chuchla--

jchuchla
04-14-2016, 09:16 AM
Ticket is VIX-1006 if you'd like to subscribe for updates.

--Jon Chuchla--

LaserFan
04-15-2016, 02:05 AM
Thank You Jon! Really, in my situation this is an acceptable solution.

vinc40530
11-22-2016, 03:34 PM
Good evening I have the same worries on win10 no witness of the clone enttec on win7 witness ok but no reception transmission I pass my afternoon on it and I lose my head while the clone walks on xlight

vinc40530
11-22-2016, 04:06 PM
11/22/2016 21:01:33 [Vixen.Sys.Managers.OutputDeviceExecution`1] Error trying to stop device DMX Open System.TimeoutException: Controller DMX Open failed to stop in the required amount of time.
� Vixen.Sys.Managers.HardwareUpdateThread.WaitForFin ish()
� Vixen.Sys.Managers.OutputDeviceExecution`1._StopDe vice(T outputDevice)
� Vixen.Sys.Managers.OutputDeviceExecution`1._Stop(T outputDevice) � Vixen.Sys.Managers.HardwareUpdateThread.WaitForFin ish()
� Vixen.Sys.Managers.OutputDeviceExecution`1._StopDe vice(T outputDevice)
� Vixen.Sys.Managers.OutputDeviceExecution`1._Stop(T outputDevice)
11/22/2016 21:01:51 [VixenModules.Output.GenericSerial.Module] COM5 is in use. Starting controller retry timer for d22c9233-16e9-4008-a215-e577f78a7a2e
11/22/2016 21:01:51 [Vixen.Sys.Managers.OutputDeviceExecution`1] Error starting device DMX Open System.Exception: Failed to open FTDI deviceFT_DEVICE_NOT_OPENED
� VixenModules.Controller.OpenDMX.FTDI.start()
� VixenModules.Controller.OpenDMX.VixenOpenDMXInstan ce.Start()
� Vixen.Sys.Output.BasicOutputModuleExecutionControl .Start()
� Vixen.Sys.Output.OutputController.Start()
� Vixen.Sys.Managers.HardwareUpdateThread.Start()
� Vixen.Sys.Managers.OutputDeviceExecution`1._StartD evice(T outputDevice)
� Vixen.Sys.Managers.OutputDeviceExecution`1._Start( T outputDevice) � VixenModules.Controller.OpenDMX.FTDI.start()
� VixenModules.Controller.OpenDMX.VixenOpenDMXInstan ce.Start()
� Vixen.Sys.Output.BasicOutputModuleExecutionControl .Start()
� Vixen.Sys.Output.OutputController.Start()
� Vixen.Sys.Managers.HardwareUpdateThread.Start()
� Vixen.Sys.Managers.OutputDeviceExecution`1._StartD evice(T outputDevice)
� Vixen.Sys.Managers.OutputDeviceExecution`1._Start( T outputDevice)

CaptClaude
11-25-2016, 03:56 AM
Just a quick comment:
After hanging out in the shadows of these forums for years, I was given 6 DMX RGB controllers that were used in a stage play I worked on and decided to do something with them.
After installing Vixen 3 (because ultimately, I will do pixels), I spent the better part of a day and a night trying to make Vixen talk to my little (you-find-them-everywhere generic $20 3-channel) DMX boxes through a FTDI USB-RS485 adapter cable I put together. I could talk to my DMX boxes through QLC+ and several other programs, just not Vixen. After reading dozens of forum posts and websites I came across one sentence, to the effect stating that Vixen does not use the Windows FTDI driver you install but rather uses the one it brings with it. So I uninstalled the FTDI driver I had downloaded and (without rebooting!) Vixen started talking DMX! And QLC+ still worked too. Miracle of miracles. It's the little things.

My conclusion: For Windows 7 Pro on an older Dell laptop (4GB), install Vixen 3 but DO NOT install the FTDI driver from the FTDI website. Or if DMX just doesn't work, install it then uninstall it. My two cents. I have reached Happy Camper Status. Next stop, LED pixels via E1.31 with an ESP8266.

Vixen is an impressive piece of software. Very impressive.

Cheers,

CC

jeffu231
11-25-2016, 10:20 AM
Vixen does not bring it's own driver, but does use the D2XX driver that is installed in the system. But I think you are getting to what I have believed all along is there is some driver conflict or incomplete installation causing the issue. When you uninstalled the driver and then plugged the device back in, windows most likely reinstalled a version of it. Somehow in that process it was installed cleanly. I have a Win 7 and Win 10 box that the communication works fine on it, but I have never installed any FTDI drivers myself. Only what Windows decided it needed.

Glad you got it going and hopefully we can use this tip to help others.

CaptClaude
11-25-2016, 07:26 PM
At the risk of dragging this out ad infinitum, there appears to be more to the story.
Right now, Vixen is running just fine with Windows device manager telling me there is no driver installed for my FTDI USB-RS485-WE-1800-BT cable. It shows up as a "USB Serial Port" but with the dreaded exclamation point next to it. Last night I tried to install Martin M-PC light desk software, without success. But in the process, it recognized my FTDI cable and installed a driver for it. This morning I aborted the install, rebooted and Vixen would not output DMX until I uninstalled the FTDI driver and told it to delete the files. After that (as before), all was peachy. QLC+ runs just fine without Windows thinking it has a driver. We package the FTDI cable as a part of a product we sell and it will not communicate with our devices and software until the user downloads and installs the driver from the FTDI site. Our software is looking for a COM port and I think that's the difference.

Thanks for the quick response and on to other things (now 5 strips of blinky lites running).

CC

jeffu231
11-25-2016, 08:03 PM
No worries. We can continue the discussion as long as needed to make sure we figure it out. The Open DMX module does not treat it as a Com port. It opens the raw device and talks to it directly via the D2xx driver dll.

jchuchla
11-26-2016, 01:08 AM
the FTDI USB to serial devices use a driver that FTDI calls the CDM (common driver model) this actually includes 2 drivers that face the user software, These are the VCP (virtual com port) and the D2xx (direct driver). And then there's one more that sits between those and the device itself. That's called the bus driver and is not visible to you. When you download the driver from FTDI, or windows update does it for you, it does these all at once.
When you look at device manager, you'll see two devices. One is in the "Ports (COM and LPT)" category and is called "USB Serial Port" by default. The other is in the "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" category and is called "USB Serial Converter". the one in "Ports" is the VCP device. The one in "universal serial bus controllers" is the Direct D2xx driver. Open DMX uses the direct mode and doesn't touch the VCP driver at all. So if you remove the driver of the VCP device and have that warning icon, it won't affect your Open DMX usage at all. And in fact, it sometimes it can help because it ensures that nothing can use that device as a virtual com port and you'll prevent any chance of conflicts. But you definitely do need the "USB Serial Converter" device working properly with the correct driver.
There appears to be some issues out there that causes this system to not work properly for us all the time. It's going to take some observations and data collection for us to actually identify what combinations cause the problems.

vinc40530
11-26-2016, 11:49 AM
Hello I tried your solutions but still nothing on windows 10 64bit, jai deinstaller, reinstall but nothing even done by changing version of the drivers

LaserFan
11-27-2016, 12:34 AM
Hello I tried your solutions but still nothing on windows 10 64bit, jai deinstaller, reinstall but nothing even done by changing version of the drivers
I use the 32bit version of Vixen (3.2.2) on Windows 8.1 64bit and happy. With 64bit Vixen also had problems. The problem is in uncompatibility 64-bit FTDI drivers

vinc40530
12-10-2016, 05:29 PM
Hello thank you, the worry has been resolved but it is a shame that the 64 bit version has this problem all, I hope that the update will be expected because the preview beug also

aarondwyer
12-16-2016, 04:38 PM
Thank you for this post.

I wanted to report my findings.

Vixen 3.3x now works for me on Windows 10 using the 32bit version of Vixen instead of the 64bit version.

I don't think there is anything for Vixen to do in this case, it's a driver 32bit / 64bit compatibility or permission based issue with FTDI drivers.

Vixen 3 is a major step forward from version 2.

Rulos
12-01-2017, 07:54 PM
Hello Iím using a OpenDMX connected to a DMX washer light that is 3 or 7 channels with Vixen 3.4u2

But I cannot seem to make it work at all I tested the light with Freestyler and worked

but i cannot seem to make it work in Vixen, please LG someone can help me Iíll appreciate it!

Iím still new user into vixen.

Thanks

Rulos

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171201/bd486c6de7307b59396731bd688a4fe9.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171201/af31e607d891059f1e7b338e0b4a9c2e.jpg

jchuchla
12-01-2017, 07:59 PM
Hello I’m using a OpenDMX connected to a DMX washer light that is 3 or 7 channels with Vixen 3.4u2

But I cannot seem to make it work at all I tested the light with Freestyler and worked

but i cannot seem to make it work in Vixen, please LG someone can help me I’ll appreciate it!

I’m still new user into vixen.

Thanks

Rulos

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171201/bd486c6de7307b59396731bd688a4fe9.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171201/af31e607d891059f1e7b338e0b4a9c2e.jpg

First, you're going to want to be on the most recent version of Vixen 3.4u3. There's a fix for OpenDMX problems in that version.
Next you'd put the light in 3 channel mode. Then you'd control it like any other pixel.

Rulos
12-04-2017, 03:46 AM
First, you're going to want to be on the most recent version of Vixen 3.4u3. There's a fix for OpenDMX problems in that version.
Next you'd put the light in 3 channel mode. Then you'd control it like any other pixel.

Thanks Jchuchla you are genius I was going mad here. Working fine now