PDA

View Full Version : madrix demo

Richard1
12-29-2011, 07:54 PM
To any1 that uses madrix willing to help a total n00b

I downloaded the demo version in hopes to create a 16 x 50 mega tree using rgb node strings .

? 1 do i need a fixture for this

? 2 do i need to map each node

thanks in advance

jstjohnz
12-29-2011, 11:34 PM
Are you trying to control actual pixels, or do you just want to play with Madrix? If you're controlling actual pixels, for starters you need to know how the pixel strings are addressed, as in what is the universe number and starting channel number of each pixel string. That in turn will depend on the type of controllers you're using.

dirknerkle
12-29-2011, 11:38 PM
IMO, Madrix is an advanced tool for advanced users. You may be in over your head.

rstehle
12-30-2011, 01:46 AM
IMO, Madrix is an advanced tool for advanced users. You may be in over your head.

I must agree. So, when are you breaking yours out Dirk? :shock:

dirknerkle
12-30-2011, 10:36 AM
I must agree. So, when are you breaking yours out Dirk? :shock:

ROFLMAO!.... I'm going to wait until I grow up a little more... (he-he-he-he-he-he....)

Gary Martin
12-30-2011, 12:49 PM
To any1 that uses madrix willing to help a total n00b

I downloaded the demo version in hopes to create a 16 x 50 mega tree using rgb node strings .

? 1 do i need a fixture for this

? 2 do i need to map each node

thanks in advance

First off, how are you interfacing Madrix to the pixel strings? The interface will determine a lot about how you configure it.

I would recommend you do NOT use 50 pixels per string. If you can, consider using 42 pixels instead. The reason being the math involved in number of addresses in a DMX universe. If you're using an interface like Jim's E681, it supports four strings per universe, total of 16 strings per card.

So if you use 50 pixel strings, that's 150 addresses per string. That limits you to only using three strings per universe as you can't fit a fourth in there. ;)

50 pixels means 12 strings per controller. 42 pixels means 16 strings per controller.

Are you running these full length or doing a zigzag with them? That also changes the configuration up some.

Example: My megatree is 48 strings of 42 pixels each. Three E680s used.

In Madrix I do not use the auto-configure, that will only work if you use *every single address* in every universe. Instead I add my strings four at a time. Go into the Patch manager, create a new setup. (or using device manager autocreate a 48 x 42 matrix, then delete the fixture. That leaves the 48 x 42 sized window ready for you).

I add the strings in twelve sections. Each section starts in the lower left. First section is a 4 x 42, Universe 1, X position 1. Next section is another 4 x 42, Universe 2, X position 5 and so on.

The reason is that 4 x 42 (x 3) = 504 addresses used in each universe. You have to do it this way to skip those last 8 addresses in each universe.

Richard1
12-30-2011, 02:13 PM
I plan on using jims e681 for a mega tree .

the way i got to this site was by seeing the stellascapes mega tree.

each of their controllers was 16 x 42 like you suggest.

I could not find 42 node for sale only 50 s , also was not sure on the fixture selection in matrix gen.

http://response-box.com/rgb/2011/06/madrix-fixture-files/ this file will not load in demo version.

Thanks Gary for making this more clear.

Richard1
12-30-2011, 02:17 PM
@ dirk if you have no useful input

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool rather than speaking and removing all doubt !

mschell
12-30-2011, 02:22 PM
Unless you buy the strings from Stellascape, you typically won't see a 42 pixel string. However, for most of the string types, you can just cut off the "extra" ones, and reuse them elsewhere. So you could cut off 8 pixels from 6 50 count strings, connect them back together to get another 42 pixel string, and still have 6 left over.

Of course, you also need to put a connector end on each string, and make sure you have them lined up correctly, but you get the idea.

I still haven't figured out how to justify the cost of Madrix, but I'm headed in that direction in the next year or so...

Materdaddy
12-30-2011, 03:14 PM
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool rather than speaking and removing all doubt !

Takes one to know one. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0701160/quotes)

Swish!

Seriously though. I thought Dirk's post was useful. In the first sentence of your fourth post on this site you state being a complete n00b. Dirk was simply stating his opinion that Madrix isn't for a "complete n00b".

Richard1
12-30-2011, 03:22 PM
I greatly appreciate all the information that you people have given about this and look forward to getting my first ever controlled display up and running.

I can see a use for the extra pixles in creating extensions .

I can see that these pixel nodes are leading edge along with the controllers required and software to support them.

Maybe a request to madrix from diyc requesting a monthly or weekly lease on a key to gain more universe 's provided to key-start version owners etc.

just a thought.

rklarman
12-30-2011, 04:07 PM
How does Light Show Pro compare to Madrix. The features look decent for programming RGB LEDs...

jstjohnz
12-30-2011, 05:07 PM
You can use the madrix demo to control as many pixels as you want, the only limitations are that the output blanks a few seconds out of every minute, and the program shuts down after an hour. Neither of these limitations prevents you from evaluating and working with the software for learning purposes.

Madrix is geared toward commercial users, and it's priced accordingly. I don't expect that to change, although it would be nice if they came out with a 4-universe version, instead of jumping from 1 to 16.

Madrix and LSP are two different beasts. Madrix isn't sequencing software in the normal sense, it's mostly geared toward pattern generation with a matrix of pixels. It doesn't have, for example, the ability to sync to a music track. Often the best solution is to use Madrix in conjunction with a program like LSP or LOR, or Vixen.

To the original poster, you can configure Madrix to work with whatever combination of pixel strings and lengths you have, but it's more complex and time-consuming than defining a simple matrix with string lengths that fit neatly into full universes. So for starting out, I'd say keep it simple, then once you're up to speed with the program you can worry about fine-tuning the configuration to be exactly what you want.

caviar
12-30-2011, 05:46 PM
I would like to see the software being used, a short demo or, link to one would be nice.

Richard1
12-30-2011, 06:59 PM
Here is a good demo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2en4EN8G75Y

smeighan
01-29-2012, 01:22 AM
I am working on a program to generate math models and project the data onto target RGB objects.

The first is spirals on a cone projected onto rgb mega-trees. I plan on producing xml files for LOR, LSP and Vixen.

I have just got the LOR xml files produced and will be releasing that functionality next week.

http://meighan.net/seqbuilder/index.php

I have seen madrix, it is commercial grade and amazing. I think my tool is like Madrix-lite in that it is meant for projecting matrix data onto any rgb target.

Since the math source models and the target RGB megatrees are all mdoeled in X,Y,Z space i can do some affects that are probably hard of the traditional sequencing.

For example: I have a math model to generate snowflakes on the cone and rotate them around the cone and down at the same time.

I will probably do Vixen export next.

It is a pain I have to learn XML from 3 different programs who all have one trait in column, no documentation for the XML file.

*smile*

thanks
sean

djulien
01-29-2012, 03:20 AM
Sounds interesting!

I am working on a program to generate math models and project the data onto target RGB objects.

How are the models coded? Do you generate a surface and then apply mapping functions to that, or do you actually keep the 3D objects so you could rearrange them as time passes? For example, is it something like a script of geometic functions like what OpenSCAD uses (draw rectangle at (x,y,x,y) extruded z degrees about point (x,y,z), etc)?

Are the models parameterized so that values could be read from a Vixen file and then passed to the modeling engine, and it could adjust the models according to the values?

The first is spirals on a cone projected onto rgb mega-trees. I plan on producing xml files for LOR, LSP and Vixen.

In the case of Vixen, what will be in the xml file? Do you mean that you will put the actual channel values into an XML file, and then Vixen can run it just like any other sequence?

If it is just the channel values, then another approach would be to just invoke the plug-ins directly and pass them the channel data without having to create an XML file for Vixen first (that would probably tie it too much to Windows and the Vixen API, but would make it more interactive than just a one-way export process). That would have interesting applications in terms of input plug-ins, which could pull data from somewhere and then pass it up through your model rendering engine (but I am probably getting a little too far of track here).

I will probably do Vixen export next.

It is a pain I have to learn XML from 3 different programs who all have one trait in column, no documentation for the XML file.

There are enough people here familiar with the Vixen XML format that they could probably tell you which tags to use, unless you really want to reverse engineer it. :)

don

budude
01-29-2012, 04:16 AM
A Madrix-lite would be awesome and exactly what I'm looking for - you would make a lot of folks very happy even if it has basic features. I would much prefer a method to inject the sequence into an existing one rather than externally trigger Madrix.

smeighan
01-29-2012, 07:22 PM
How are the models coded?

I create a function for the source models. Cone, Plane. I write php functions to create the data onto say the cone.

1) 1-N spirals on a cone,
2) Garlands on a cone
3) Snowflakes on a cone
4) Create animated 3d models

I am unsing gnuplot to create the models. http://gnuplot.info

I am looking forward to creating animations on a 3d surface and projecting that to the target.

See the objects here http://gnuplot.sourceforge.net/demo/hidden2.html

Do you generate a surface and then apply mapping functions to that, or do you actually keep the 3D objects so you could rearrange them as time passes? For example, is it something like a script of geometic functions like what OpenSCAD uses (draw rectangle at (x,y,x,y) extruded z degrees about point (x,y,z), etc)?
I draw a 3d Object and store the X,Y,Z values.

I loop and redraw the 3D object , varying something. Viewpoint, distance. I then have a new object.

For example, Spirals on a cone. The model allows N number of spirals. How many revolutions each spiral makes is a variabel, how many spirals, .etc.

I loop , create object, nap to target. This is fram #1
i then change, maybe rotate about the Z axis 10 degrees, redraw source, map to target, Fram #2

This allows animation.

I will allow users to give my their own X,Y,Z,rgb model for the source.
The program does the matching to teh nearest taregt pixel.

Imageine a 10' cone as the source model and a 10' rgb tree with 16 strands. In my target model i know wher every pixel is in X,Y,Z space. I then move the source cone on top of the mega-tree target and match the closest pixel to the source.

I have many ideas of how to do the mapping. I have not yet done the orthographic mapping. This would be a 3d shape mapped to a 2d shape.

lots of stuff
Are the models parameterized so that values could be read from a Vixen file and then passed to the modeling engine, and it could adjust the models according to the values?
The values are parameterized, but right now they will be a form on the web page. I suppose in the future i could make this a web service and allow some connections to the web page.

In the case of Vixen, what will be in the xml file? Do you mean that you will put the actual channel values into an XML file, and then Vixen can run it just like any other sequence?
Yes

If it is just the channel values, then another approach would be to just invoke the plug-ins directly and pass them the channel data without having to create an XML file for Vixen first (that would probably tie it too much to Windows and the Vixen API, but would make it more interactive than just a one-way export process). That would have interesting applications in terms of input plug-ins, which could pull data from somewhere and then pass it up through your model rendering engine (but I am probably getting a little too far of track here).
Since one design goal is for it to work with Vixen, LSP and LOR I have not thought about a plugin. Maybe, in the future?

There are enough people here familiar with the Vixen XML format that they could probably tell you which tags to use, unless you really want to reverse engineer it. :)

I will prob be reaching out in the next week or so for Vixen input.

I have created a LOR XML file that loads with no errors and activates 16 CCR strings as of this week. Their visualizer is easier to understand. Also they do not have base64 strings.
I will support Vixen and LSP, just takes a while since i have a full time job at oracle Corp.

My goal for creating this stool is so i dont have to program my future RGB Megatree, i expect to be mostly done in the few months

thanks, sean

don

smeighan
02-23-2012, 02:23 PM
I am continuing to develop the rgbsb tool http://mrighan.net/rgbsb. as it goes along, it seems to get more capabilities like a madrix lite tool.

the rgbsb tool is discussed in this thread
http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?19205-RGB-Sequence-Builder-for-Megatrees-Planes-or-any-other-arbitrary-object

here are some of the effects it now supports for megatrees

Spirals

Text

Random Stars

Falling Stars

Pictures projected on to tree, soon will be movies

thanks
sean

budude
02-23-2012, 04:47 PM
Great work Sean - I think I peed my pants! :thup:

smeighan
02-23-2012, 05:49 PM
lol brian

BTW, i used to live in san jose form 1985 to 2003, I lived at 1750 commodore dr.

Now i am in highlands ranch, colorado.

Next up for rgbsb is getting the xml files for lsp,vixen and lor.

i am now working on vixen.

thanks