PDA

View Full Version : DIY Escargot

kmc123
12-24-2011, 09:45 AM
My display was unexpectedly trashed 4 nights ago by SLUGS!!!
3 of my Ren24's were invaded by them and they shorted out all 3 in various ways!
2 were field fixable :) , and 1 was not :( . Overall it was down for 2 and a half nights!!!

Fixable:

Not:
12703 12704 12705

I had 1 slug in a previous year zap itself and blow a fuse on the board, but considered it a fluke...
Now with the invasion this year, I'm on a SLUG RAMPAGE!!!

I have COVERED the areas around the controllers with bug poison and a whole container of salt poured in a circle around each one - Let's see them get past THAT!

I wanted to give a shout out to Dave Jackson for loaning me his spare Ren 24 - Without it I would have been down for a week, if not the rest of this year - THANKS DAVE!!!

lightman
12-24-2011, 10:02 AM
That is amazing! Glad you got the spare board and are back up.

NORTHEASTER
12-24-2011, 10:10 AM
I am sorry to see the damage you suffered from those disgusting land snails. We have to deal with snow, ice and and cold temps but no damage from critters here in Maine.

bcstuff
12-24-2011, 11:12 AM
Sorry to here your woes, the good news is the ring of salt should protect your controllers from ghost too.

mikentn
12-24-2011, 11:47 AM
Wow - never even thought about slugs getting in the enclosures. :omg:

macebobo
12-24-2011, 02:18 PM
Didn't he read the sign? "Hi Voltage at all times!" Stupid slug. Glad there wasn't anything worse, like a fire. Merry Christmas.

davejackson
12-26-2011, 09:11 PM
Wow! That is terrible! Yet soooo cool!
Glad you are up now.

Just keep those slugs on your side of town.

ebrady
12-26-2011, 09:51 PM
Wow! That is terrible! Yet soooo cool!
Glad you are up now.

Just keep those slugs on your side of town.

Word!

Glad to hear you were able to find a replacement board..

g2ktcf
12-27-2011, 07:53 AM
Kevin,

I am curious how they got in. I know that they are very flexible but did you have any obvious openings in the bottom of the enclosures?

Chris

mschell
12-27-2011, 09:49 AM
And did you have the controller box lying on the ground? Perhaps the solder flux you used was very tasty for slugs?

I make it a rule that I have every controller box on a post or somehow mounted vertically at least 6 inches off the ground. It helps with condensation and other moisture issues....

mikentn
12-27-2011, 12:25 PM
Regarding the ring of salt you put around your controllers - I hope this wasn't in your yard where you have grass and want to keep grass growing.

lortiz
12-27-2011, 01:18 PM
Hi,

I had same situation happen. The very first night I put out my equipment out in the yard, 1 slug entered one of my boards and fried 2 channels. Luckily I had a spare controller. They must really like the temperature inside the cases.

I thought I was the only person in the world with this problem. Now I don't feel that bad. :biggrin2:

Leo

rstehle
12-27-2011, 01:25 PM
This thread made me think about a question I have been meaning to ask. Might any of you have an extra foam strip that goes along the bottom of a CG-1000? I have a spare with no strip, and would like to have one for it.
Thanks,
Randy

Mudsculpter
12-29-2011, 12:19 PM
I have had the same issues for the past three years. The first year it happened I swapped a backup for a failing board. During the summer when I was troubleshooting I found a crispy snail body clinging between a fuse and a moc3023.

nosisuzu
12-29-2011, 02:14 PM
This is a good example of why you want your boxes sealed. I have a box with an FM transmitter in it and I sealed it by packing foam into the bottom of it. I do the same to the conduit where my wiring goes through the wall and into my garage (I seal both ends of that to discourage mice). I use foam weatherstripping that I got at the local hardware store. It isn't adhesive backed or anything, but they sell that as well.