PDA

View Full Version : 595 Not working properly

jwells
12-24-2007, 01:22 AM
My show runs for about 5 min sometimes 10min then all lights go out. The show is still running on the computer. If I move / touch the rj45 jack off the LPT port the lights come back on. Sometimes I have to unplug it. I can remove the cable at the controller as well and it will start back up. The Red Power LED on the 595 remains lit at all times during the weirdness. I have swapped cables from the computer to the 595 I have replaced the RJ45 jack coming from the LPT connector with the same results. I have tried changing the LPT settings from EPP back to standard etc. I have changed the plug-in from Olsen 595 to simple 595 same results. Weird Stuff

I have a Dell Desktop running XP Home connected to one of Brian's Coop Olsen 595 boards about 25 feet from the computer. The computer supplies the power to the Olsen as well and I have the ground from the computer tied to pin 18 on the LPT connector as well. I was thinking it was some sort of ground issue or noise from somewhere ??

Anyone have an idea what I need to check to get this thing more stable ?

Jim

Wayne J
12-24-2007, 02:08 AM
Sure sounds like a bad connection. You say you replaced the cable, and the rj45 plug, have you checked the rj45 jacks? I say this, because I had one channels that was doing the same thing. Drove me crazy, I looked at the connectors inside the RJ45 jacks and they were bent. Replaced the jack and all has been good since.

holtm
12-24-2007, 12:39 PM
It might be a cold solder joint on one of the com lines. Wiggling it when unplugging/plugging might re connect it. Check your connections.

jwells
12-24-2007, 03:55 PM
I put together a new LPT to RJ45 connector. This time is used one of the DB25 connectors that has the RJ45 on the end of the shell (GC Electronics 45-5123) I drilled a hole in the side for the 5V wires. It seems to be working, so far this afternoon the show has not stopped. Not sure what's up with the other one. I just didn't suspect it based on how it was put together and it had been working fine ? Thanks for the support guys.