PDA

View Full Version : Pixels forum

Macrosill
12-12-2011, 10:38 AM
I have received numerous requests for a Pixel forum. I have no issue adding another forum if it is warranted.

Some questions though:

1. Would a Pixel forum be for the Pixel type controllers, E680 and such, or the lights themselves?
2. If for the latter would they not fit into the LED forum already available?

BuzzKill
12-12-2011, 12:37 PM
LED's and Pixels in the same forum is like having a discussion about Pintos and Teslas in the same forum. Ya, they are both cars, have 4 wheels,etc. RGB is an exciting, evolving display medium and with all the advancements I think it can be justified in a new forum to help maintain focus.

LabRat
12-12-2011, 12:53 PM
I humbly disagree that there is such a vast difference between LEDs and PIXELS. Or perhaps, that is the discussion that must be undertaken first. How do *YOU* define a pixel? Is it simply a three colour RGB element? Three REN channels to incandescent floods can fit that description. Or does it have to have "smarts"? Is it a question of *where* the smarts are?

I would suggest that discussions about dimming LEDs is likely to be just a relevant to single channel solid colours, as it is to multi-channel RGB nodes.
So before jumping into making more forums, I think a little bit of clarity as to definitions is in order.

Just my $0.02

ukewarrior
12-12-2011, 01:00 PM
I belive the definition of a pixel for the purposes of a forum should be:

1. RGB elements in one 'lens'
2. Smart components aka. A chip is onboard the pixel element like the 2801's etc...

I agree with LabRat that the dumb pixels are not so much different then a three string led.

cmitcham
12-12-2011, 01:02 PM
i am way behind on what i wish i knew about rgb pixels, both smart ones and dumb ones. i need a forum where i can learn what do do with this new type (to me) led, and how to control them.

i like one forum where both can be found.

jstjohnz
12-12-2011, 01:35 PM
I would like to see a forum pertaining to discussion of 'smart' RGB pixels (those with built-in controller ICs) and the controllers that operate them. I think it's a sufficiently specialized topic that it would be beneficial to have a single place for all discussions pertaining to them, as opposed to including this info in a general 'LED' forum. While they are obviously LED-based devices, their uniqueness doesn't derive from their use of LEDs, it derives from the on-board smarts that differentiates them from standard LEDs, or standard light 'strings' of any type.

tjetzer
12-12-2011, 01:43 PM
I agree with Jim. There are way too many variables with pixels for them to be grouped into the LED group. Having both the pixels and controllers in one forum makes the most sense to me.

Materdaddy
12-12-2011, 02:07 PM
Why not make the "smart" RGB pixel forum a sub-forum of LED?

I agree with both sides, and to me, the definition of "pixel" is something that is individually addressable/controllable.

fathead45
12-12-2011, 02:25 PM
they really need a subforum of leds as there are dumb leds and then addressable leds like the pixels/ccr/smartstrings/etc. you could also have a subforum for the controllers and discussion on them. just need a better place to put pixel stuff as it will be getting bigger.

jboyles7
12-12-2011, 03:55 PM
Pixels / RGBs with "smarts" should be split from just LEDs. I recently read up on Pixels and the two topics are vastly different. Addressing / Control Chips / How data is moved / Quality . . .

Matt_Edwards
12-12-2011, 05:07 PM
So much to agree with!
As some have said, LEDs and LEDs, but the multi-chip RGB lights with built-in driver chip has sufficiently different characteristics from single LEDs, strings, Flexible strip and multi-LED modules, that warrant a dedicated area. Sub forum of LEDs is OK with me.

fasteddy
12-12-2011, 05:41 PM
I believe that the pixel lighting should have its own place as it is considerably different to other forms of lighting requiring special controllers and installation considerations.
Pixel lighting is a big of a jump (if not bigger) as what LED lights were to incandescant lights and this forum seperates the two, so i believe that pixel lighting should also have is own board

ErnieHorning
12-12-2011, 07:39 PM
A smart pixel is really a controller with LEDís hardwired to it. Itís currently use to control LEDís grouped together as one single light point but couldnít it also be used to control and entire dumb string?

It seems to make more sense to be located with the LEDís forum though because it can only be used with LEDís.

Why not create a sub forum of LEDís called ĎIntelligentí and move the current threads to a ĎNon-Intelligentí sub-forum of LEDís?

TimW
12-12-2011, 09:34 PM
Isn't Putting pixels under leds like putting AC renard controllers under incandescent lighting?

I can't see the distinction between the level we have DMX on the site (Hardware) and the level at which pixels would logically sit .

The fundamental requirement for pixels is a protocol and a controller.... same as DMX, same as Renard.

I think its about the hardware/controller/protocols, not the lights....

Please, just talk about it somewhere!!! :)

Tim

Macrosill
12-13-2011, 08:31 AM
OK, a separate forum for Pixels.

Onto the second half:
do the controllers, ie E680, get a seperate hardware forum or do they get lumped into the Pixel forum?

fathead45
12-13-2011, 09:17 AM
i think it would make more sense to have them in there own forum as to not have to dig, you can just jump the appropriate forum. As there are more than the e681/0 out there, but that is just the new one. there is also the pixad8, TP3244, an mph stuff. so i think a another topic would be called for.

rjchu
12-13-2011, 09:35 AM
OK, a separate forum for Pixels.

Onto the second half:
do the controllers, ie E680, get a seperate hardware forum or do they get lumped into the Pixel forum?

Disclaimer, I know nothing about how pixels work, hence my anticipation of the new forum. Having said that, I'd lump the controllers in so it's not too hard for newbs like me to get lost in the sea of options in different sub forums. Kind of like the model we follow for the renards - where each variation does not have its own sub area.

-joni-

fathead45
12-13-2011, 10:22 AM
well i could see them being in the same forum as long as it is titled correctly.

ukewarrior
12-13-2011, 10:25 AM
Lets separate controllers from pixels and pixel strings.

jstjohnz
12-13-2011, 02:08 PM
My vote would be to have them together since a lot of questions are likely to be along the lines of "pixel X with controller Y". If I'm asking a question like that then is it a pixel question for the pixel forum or a controller question for the controller forum? Since both pixels and controller(s) are a part of every pixel system, it makes more sense to me to have all of the discussion in one place.

tjetzer
12-13-2011, 03:06 PM
Again, I have to agree with Jim.

TimW
12-13-2011, 06:26 PM
My vote is put them together, under hardware. Pixels are more (electronic) hardware than display items imho.

(Actually 'led lighting' is probably more hardware than display item because it doesn't usually talk about how the leds are arranged in a display, rather how they plug together, what resistors/current/voltage to use etc etc.)

Doesn't really matter. Just "build it and they will come"!

Matt_Edwards
12-13-2011, 07:09 PM
I too will be happy with a single area to discuss Pixels and their related controllers.
To me it is important to have a dedicated area to discuss them.

Here's an evil thought: given most pixels are controlled by some form as a SPI bus, does the mean RPMs Grinch Dimmer should be moved into the Pixel area? I think not - but it high lights the fact that there will always be some overlap of areas. :question:

PurpleNeons
12-17-2011, 04:17 PM
I'm a newbie here but 150% support any type of forum that deals specifically with smart/magic RGB's or Pixels as some are calling them. This subject is of very high interest to me. I would include hardware(LED's/controllers) and software as part of the discussion. It is very hard to find intelligent discussion on the internet concerning singular addressable RGB's.

boarder3
12-22-2011, 10:35 PM
Yes that would be a great addition to site.

fslopez1950
12-23-2011, 03:43 AM
There is already forum for LED Lighting.Why not have a sub-forum for LED PIXELS and another sub-forum for LED PIXELS Controllers under it.

PurpleNeons
12-24-2011, 12:12 PM
There is already forum for LED Lighting.Why not have a sub-forum for LED PIXELS and another sub-forum for LED PIXELS Controllers under it.

I like this suggestion.

Macrosill
01-27-2012, 09:07 AM
I setup a new forum titled "Pixels and Pixel controllers" in the Hardware section.

I will get the threads moved as soon as I get a chance.

rush44oh1
01-27-2012, 12:18 PM
Thanks Brian that will make it eaiser for me to find things as well as others i am sure
Thanks for you hardwork and dedication to this wonderfull addiction of ours

kychristmas
01-27-2012, 12:53 PM
So I'm curious, Where will the RGB String discussion go?

I setup a new forum titled "Pixels and Pixel controllers" in the Hardware section.

I will get the threads moved as soon as I get a chance.

tjetzer
01-27-2012, 01:07 PM

RGB Strings should go under LED.

Macrosill
01-27-2012, 03:02 PM

Well, I guess is they are just plain rgb led strings then they would go in the LED forum. If they are "smart" or addressable rbg led strings then they would go in the pixel forum.

I am not sure what the 100 percent correct answer would be but this is what we have for now.

kychristmas
01-27-2012, 03:42 PM
I am not sure what the 100 percent correct answer would be but this is what we have for now.

Spoken like a true leader. Thanks!

I didn't see the thread until today. As an RGB noob, I see dumb RGB strings/modules more closely related to Pixels than standard LED strings. Like a good soldier, I will follow the orders from my leader!

As always, thanks for always trying to organize things and make DIYC better.

ErnieHorning
01-27-2012, 06:33 PM
I don’t see dumb pixel strings as being any different than tying three strings together and placing a ping-pong ball over each group of red, green and blue lights. I could do this with incandescent strings, are they then pixel strings too? They would still be controlled the same either way.

kychristmas
01-27-2012, 07:02 PM
I don’t see dumb pixel strings as being any different than tying three strings together and placing a ping-pong ball over each group of red, green and blue lights. I could do this with incandescent strings, are they then pixel strings too? They would still be controlled the same either way.

I never said that they should be considered "Pixels". What I thought was they could both be included in a RGB LED forum. I didn't call them dumb "Pixel" srings either. I believe you were the only one that referred to them as Pixels.

More importantly, Brian made his decision and I clearly said I was good with it.