PDA

View Full Version : Wireless PropController

DynamoBen
12-11-2011, 11:26 PM
I'm doing Christmas lights this year, no music...yet. I decided to put my PropController in the garage to keep it out of the weather, but I didn't really have the time (or energy) to run a network cable out there. So I decided to run it via WIFI. I got out a Asus WL-520GU (http://www.asus.com/Networks/Wireless_Routers/WL520gU/) that I bought a few years ago for $30 (https://www.google.com/search?q=Asus+WL-520GU+&tbm=shop&hl=en&aq=f) and loaded DD-WRT on to it. Then I switched it from AP mode to "Client Bridged" (http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged) which turns the router into a client. I connected it my existing WIFI network and I was good to go.

So far everything seems to be working OK and the best part is if I ever want to expand, I can use the built-in switch. ;)

dirknerkle
12-11-2011, 11:42 PM
Very cool idea DB!!! I'll bet there are a lot of others out there anxious for more info on how you did it.

DynamoBen
12-11-2011, 11:56 PM
Very cool idea DB!!!

Necessity is the mother of invention.

I'll bet there are a lot of others out there anxious for more info on how you did it.

I'm happy to provide more info, just let me know what you are interested in learning.

I'm noticing a little but of roughness in fades, I need to isolate whether this is a WIFI thing or the firmware in the PropController. I will report back once I know.

dirknerkle
12-12-2011, 12:03 AM
For one thing, I think a lot of folks would be scared away at the thought of reflashing the bios on the router with something else. Many folks encounter a world of problems just trying to flash a PIC...

Any information about the router's range, addressing scheme you used, numbers of channels, what kinds of lights on what channels/displays, etc. would be helpful, too. I think going with wi-fi is a natural progression for blinky-flashy insofar as I'd guess most home LANS are wireless.

DynamoBen
12-12-2011, 12:20 AM
For one thing, I think a lot of folks would be scared away at the thought of reflashing the bios on the router with something else.

Typically when I buy a router I reflash it, usually the "stock" firmware isn't comprehensive enough for me. In this case I needed to reflash it because the "stock" firmware doesn't allow for client mode some routers do, but this one didn't.

I could have used a WIFI game adapter (which has been discussed in another thread) but I couldn't find any locally. That's when I remember I had the Asus AP in storage.

Any information about the router's range, addressing scheme you used, numbers of channels, what kinds of lights on what channels/displays, etc. would be helpful, too. I think going with wi-fi is a natural progression for blinky-flashy insofar as I'd guess most home LANS are wireless.

I'm only using 12 channels since this is my first year in a house. All the lights are of 25' C9s. It's about 25' between the two routers and I'm about about 50-60% signal strength. I have non-stock antennas on my primary router and I have increased the power output to 85 watts, which is a feature of DD-WRT (http://www.dd-wrt.com).

Long term I'm likely going to run a wire into the garage, but I could see the usefulness of having WIFI for situations when a wire isn't possible or impractical. For example a link between buildings or across a road would be a great use for WIFI.

lightman
12-12-2011, 11:03 AM
I for one am very interested. Thanks for the investigative research and prototyping.

Also...I have got to start converting to propeller based systems. Just too lazy to convert from SX.

Thanks DB...

DynamoBen
12-12-2011, 12:35 PM
I have got to start converting to propeller based systems. Just too lazy to convert from SX.

This is off topic for this thread but I'm converting my SX relay project to the Prop. I'm also considering making a DMX node, and maybe a stand alone dimmer PropController. It seems to me adoption of the Propeller is hampered by the flexibility, which I love but others find complex and annoying.

lightman
12-12-2011, 01:48 PM
This is off topic for this thread but I'm converting my SX relay project to the Prop. I'm also considering making a DMX node, and maybe a stand alone dimmer PropController. It seems to me adoption of the Propeller is hampered by the flexibility, which I love but others find complex and annoying.

Roger that...I will take this off line with you.

Later...
Lightman

DynamoBen
12-12-2011, 02:00 PM

Go here (http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?18478-Future-Direction&p=186473#post186473)to follow this discussion

DynamoBen
12-12-2011, 11:46 PM
I'm noticing a little but of roughness in fades, I need to isolate whether this is a WIFI thing or the firmware in the PropController. I will report back once I know.

So I've done a little investigating and I don't believe the WIFI connection is a contributing factor. This is either an issue in my firmware or something in the j1sys plugin.