PDA

View Full Version : 595, Ren-C Dimming

jeff.ott
12-08-2011, 12:52 AM
Well, i've noticed that my incans on my 595's start the evening out dimming just fine but by the end of the evening they stop dimming. I have 128 channels of 595 going through my Ren-T with Ren-C's on each 595 board. the show starts at 5:30 runs every half hour. the show length is 18 minutes. by about 7:00 the dimming is gone. they act just like on/off controllers. Any ideas? I'm going to upgrade the 595's to Renards this next year but I'd like to have the later evening shows just as spectacular as the 5:30 show. thought it was PC related but I reboot in the later evening and still no dimming. Be curious to see what ideas you all might have.

dirknerkle
12-08-2011, 12:17 PM
Instead of rebooting the PC, what happens if you power off then restart the Ren-T/Ren-C/595? Sounds to me like the Ren-C is losing the ZC signal. Does the Ren-T run hot? Might there be a component failure here?

jeff.ott
12-11-2011, 02:14 PM
Well, I have tried powering off/on the Ren-T as it is right next to my show computer. It is on all the time no timer to turn it on. I thought that might have something to do with it. However, I have noticed now that it appears to be certain sequences. I have one sequence that turns the incans down to about 35% for 1 second or so and they are barely lit. It seems fine. yet other sequences wont dim??? It almost seems kind of random. I will check to see if it occurs towards the end of each program run. I will switch the order of the sequences in the program and see if the first ones are fine and the later ones are not. In addition the 595/Ren-C's are housed in the same cg2000 box outside. I would think the ambient temp would keep them cool. they also are on all the time. I don't think component failure cause usually once failed always failed, right???? I try out some more things and if no luck then will just upgrade all to REN-SS this off season. Thanks,

jpb
12-11-2011, 03:39 PM
You can also use the channel test function to see how your dimming is behaving rather than watching a whole sequence.

Jon

jeff.ott
12-13-2011, 03:22 AM
using the channel test function i get none to very little dim in the output. Itis strange sometimes I get down to 30 and they start to waver. Some of the sequences do dim. I'm lost. the Ren-C hartbeat is blinking so I assume I'm getting my ZC. I do have an older firmware on the Ren-C 'renard-595-192-20070831' were the wiki shows 'renard-595-192-20071211'. not sure if that could be a culprit. Will reflash later this week. any ideas. . . .

jpb
12-14-2011, 01:01 AM
what output plugins are you using and when you run your show are you using a profile or the plugins on the individual sequences?
Are you sure that all your sequences are using the same output plugins?

jeff.ott
12-14-2011, 01:50 AM
I use the Renard (modified) 3 times (on 3 different serial ports) and the preview. Renard Com1 is for my 595's. out the serial into the Ren-T out to the first Ren-c/595 then out the the next Ren-c/595. 128 ports. the next renard Com3 is on my MOXA card and that is for 4 of my Kostyun Ren-24's. the last renard com4 is for my ren-48lsd's for my floods and strips. I have one profile that I use for each sequence and the program is setup to use the sequence plugins. I've tried collapsing the profile into the sequence. I've copied sections of a sequence into a new sequence without the profile. I've moved the serial ports around. (I have an 8 channel MOXA board) I've tried everything I can think of. I'm just going to have to wait for my renardSS conversion. The renards dim so smoothly. My Kostyun ren24s work flawlessly. My RenSS's I'm worried about based on some posts over there about ghosting and flickering. Will have to see after I build them what I have. . . . Merry Christmas and happy showing everyone.