PDA

View Full Version : E68x control?

Andy.wpg
12-07-2011, 10:41 PM
I have heard that LSP is better at controlling RGB LED's than Vixen.

I have also heard that LSP is long on promises and short on performance.

Have you run RGB with LSP and how did it work for you?

I would like to venture into RGB next year and am just wondering what people's experiences controlling them has been.

Thanks

Matt_Edwards
12-08-2011, 12:57 AM
I purchased LSP 1.8 - but I didn't upgrade to 2.x
I decided not to do anything rash until Vixen 3.0 came out. If Vixen 3.0 doesn't make RGBs easier, then I will need to allow a whole lot of time to learn LSP.

budude
12-08-2011, 01:41 AM
...and ditto - I *did* upgrade to 2.x but just ran out of time to give a good try...

Gary Martin
12-08-2011, 12:11 PM
I have a license for 2.x of LSP. It's still not ready for prime time IMHO. I bought a Madrix license to run my 12 universe SPI megatree. Remote controlling it via DMX.

fasteddy
12-08-2011, 05:15 PM
I have run LSP for 2 years with RGB using a matrix and have found it to be by far the best tool for programming RGB, Yes its not perfect and does take some getting use to but once the learning curve is through it is a very powerful program especially for RGB and i doubt i could have achieved what i did in 2010 or 2011 without its great programming tools.

Andy.wpg
12-08-2011, 05:25 PM
I have run LSP for 2 years with RGB using a matrix and have found it to be by far the best tool for programming RGB, Yes its not perfect and does take some getting use to but once the learning curve is through it is a very powerful program especially for RGB and i doubt i could have achieved what i did in 2010 or 2011 without its great programming tools.

The problems I have heard of from others is that LSP works great until you try to control boards - that's where the guys I have talked to have had issues.

Other than the E68x, have you controlled any other boards? I'm using Renard and, of course, would like to control them as well as the E68x boards.

Thanks

fasteddy
12-08-2011, 06:17 PM
The problems I have heard of from others is that LSP works great until you try to control boards - that's where the guys I have talked to have had issues.

Other than the E68x, have you controlled any other boards? I'm using Renard and, of course, would like to control them as well as the E68x boards.

Thanks

I use standards like DMX and E1.31 and am running 16 universes, im using 2 x e680, 2 x ECG-DR4 im actually running 1 DMX pro (RPM) dongle as well. The controllers running from the ECG-DR4 are a variety of DMX controllers. As far as renard i cant say but then the renards can be updated to use DMX and thats what i would do if i had any renards. Im also using LOR controllers in DMX mode. Ive also used in the past and tested using the LOR dongle which worked for me but was more for testing purposes.

mschell
12-08-2011, 08:31 PM
I've used LSP for the last 2 years. I am using it this year, and have gone almost all RGB on the house, but still discrete lights in the yard. I have AL controllers, in addition to using DMX to an E681 with 192 pixels in a line, and some CoroFlakes. I output DMX from E1.31 via an ECG-DMXRen8 to the CoroFlakes and 2 Ren48LSDs running DMX firmware, and E1.31 to the E681.

I've had LESS problems this year with outputs than last year. I upgraded to LSP 2.0 this fall, but haven't done as much sequencing as I would have liked. Life and health issues got in the way.

I would say that using LSP with mixed hardware, including DMX, E1.31 and other controllers works great. I would say that doing some level of RGB with LSP is better than trying it with LOR or Vixen 2.x. However, doing all the things with RGB that I would like to do seems like it would be easier with Madrix, but since I haven't had time to play with it much, and don't have the capital to purchase it, I can't say.

As eddy mentions, it's a learning curve. v2.0 is MUCH better than 1.x, but there are still quirks and issues to deal with. It's hard to move a sequence from one machine to another if you haven't setup both machines with the same controllers.

Would I want to do RGB without LSP? - no.
Would I want LSP to be more reliable? - yes.
Will Vixen 3.0 be another choice to do RGB? - possibly, and I will be watching and trying it as it progress.

pmcpa
12-14-2011, 05:00 PM
-I have also heard that LSP is long on promises and short on performance.
Yes, Was a 1.8 and now 2.0 issue, I'm disappointed to see some of the output issues in 1.8 (AL Control) are still there in 2.0, but I'm also controlling E1.31 boxes with LSP, and no issues

-Have you run RGB with LSP and how did it work for you?
Better then The older interfaces

-I would like to venture into RGB next year and am just wondering what people's experiences controlling them has been.
WAIT for vixen 3.0... LSP 2 is NOT worth the price at all with the issues from 1.8 still in the program. We were told 2.0 would be a rebuild, clearly it wasn't... Response times for support are a joke, 2 weeks after submitting a support ticket and emailing and still waiting for a real response, I'm not holding my breath

Bottom Line: LSP works, don't look at it funny, or it will get pissed off and break it's outputs.

boarder3
12-18-2011, 09:55 PM
I purchased lsp after getting 2 681 boards and couldnt get it to output without glitching. I took a week and half off of work and got not one song done. I tried 3 different computers 2 different os's and 3 different lsp versions. Tech support was none besides the help i got from members they were great but nothing from creator. Dont get me wrong lsp has great features but if anyone gets this thing to work properly they need to play lotto cause there the luckiest person out there. Ive been doing this for 4 years so im no beginner that software needs work. They should change the intervals so there every 1/10 like vixen or at least make intervals lockable. Also vixen import never worked completely always left something out.

pmcpa
12-18-2011, 09:59 PM
I had that happen when my test pc was running at gigabit, and the controllers only run at 100.... make sure your network is 10/100, and it seems to run better. As a network Tech, I know that shouldn't be the case, but it is.

boarder3
12-18-2011, 10:25 PM
I tried 3 different systems i dont think there running at a gigabit it tells me there running at 100 is that ok just checked 2 of the systems both the same?

pmcpa
12-18-2011, 10:31 PM
Are you getting any packets to the E68x? Are they coming in as Sequence errors, or just not getting there at all?

boarder3
12-18-2011, 10:37 PM
I had help from a couple of members for over 3 weeks never could get it to work properly sometimes it would work than next time after it would glitch different places all the time. So it worked just not right. Even tried disconnecting my renards and just sequencing the 681 boards still glitched. And i dont like to use preview i watch output after i do lets say 30 seconds and that never worked . I had to put it in a show to get it to work sometimes and i always optimize every time im done.

pmcpa
12-18-2011, 10:39 PM
Log into the unit's web page, do you see anything in "Sequence errors" it's ok to see some in there, but it should be A LOT lower then Packets received. I have 3 E680's running, just checked, they all have 93k received, 2 have 0 errors, one has 600 or so.

dirknerkle
12-18-2011, 10:44 PM
I'm following this thread with great interest. I can't really answer as it relates to E.680 because I never could get either 1.8 or 2.0 of LSP to do anything substantial other than cause me great frustration.

Matt_Edwards
12-19-2011, 06:47 AM
You guys are probably starter than me, but I had a similar problem until I disabled the test mode. The board starts up in test mode and will do dilly swat until you disable it. That took me a while to work out.
Cheers